Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

Peter Thomas
Hi,

I have a panel A that is replaced by another panel B over Ajax using Component.replaceWith().  Panel B contains a few Links.

Say I navigate to this Page and trigger the event that causes panel B to replace Panel A.  Then I click one of the Link(s) within Panel B that brings up another page.

Now when I use the browser back button I see the first Page where B is visible as expected.  But now when I click on another Link within B - it causes a Wicket runtime exception: component [...] not found on page [...]

Everywhere else across the app, browser back-button works beautifully.  Is this problem to be expected if you have links within an area on a page refreshed using Ajax and then you use the browser back button to try other links in that area?

Thanks,

Peter.

Re: Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

Igor Vaynberg-2
matej didnt you fix this in 1.x svn?

-igor

On 3/28/07, Peter Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I have a panel A that is replaced by another panel B over Ajax using Component.replaceWith ().  Panel B contains a few Links.

Say I navigate to this Page and trigger the event that causes panel B to replace Panel A.  Then I click one of the Link(s) within Panel B that brings up another page.

Now when I use the browser back button I see the first Page where B is visible as expected.  But now when I click on another Link within B - it causes a Wicket runtime exception: component [...] not found on page [...]

Everywhere else across the app, browser back-button works beautifully.  Is this problem to be expected if you have links within an area on a page refreshed using Ajax and then you use the browser back button to try other links in that area?

Thanks,

Peter.

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&amp;p=sourceforge&amp;CID=DEVDEV" target="_blank"> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV

Re: Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

Matej Knopp-2
Peter, are you using 1.x? this can be caused by ajax requests being
non-versioned in 1.2. In 1.x, the changes should be merged to latest
version.

On 3/28/07, Igor Vaynberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> matej didnt you fix this in 1.x svn?
>
> -igor
>

> On 3/28/07, Peter Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a panel A that is replaced by another panel B over Ajax using
> Component.replaceWith ().  Panel B contains a few Links.
> >
> > Say I navigate to this Page and trigger the event that causes panel B to
> replace Panel A.  Then I click one of the Link(s) within Panel B that brings
> up another page.
> >
> > Now when I use the browser back button I see the first Page where B is
> visible as expected.  But now when I click on another Link within B - it
> causes a Wicket runtime exception: component [...] not found on page [...]
> >
> > Everywhere else across the app, browser back-button works beautifully.  Is
> this problem to be expected if you have links within an area on a page
> refreshed using Ajax and then you use the browser back button to try other
> links in that area?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Peter.

Re: Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

Peter Thomas
Matej - I am using wicket-1.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar dated 2007-03-12

Let me know if you need any more details.  On the Page in question I had tried setVersioned with both true and false, same result.

Thanks,

Peter.

On 3/28/07, Matej Knopp <[hidden email]> wrote:
Peter, are you using 1.x? this can be caused by ajax requests being
non-versioned in 1.2. In 1.x, the changes should be merged to latest
version.

On 3/28/07, Igor Vaynberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> matej didnt you fix this in 1.x svn?
>
> -igor
>

> On 3/28/07, Peter Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a panel A that is replaced by another panel B over Ajax using
> Component.replaceWith ().  Panel B contains a few Links.
> >
> > Say I navigate to this Page and trigger the event that causes panel B to

> replace Panel A.  Then I click one of the Link(s) within Panel B that brings
> up another page.
> >
> > Now when I use the browser back button I see the first Page where B is
> visible as expected.  But now when I click on another Link within B - it
> causes a Wicket runtime exception: component [...] not found on page [...]
> >
> > Everywhere else across the app, browser back-button works beautifully.  Is
> this problem to be expected if you have links within an area on a page
> refreshed using Ajax and then you use the browser back button to try other
> links in that area?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Peter.

Re: Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

Igor Vaynberg-2
peter can you try updating to the lastest snapshot and trying again?

-igor

On 3/28/07, Peter Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Matej - I am using wicket-1.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar dated 2007-03-12

Let me know if you need any more details.  On the Page in question I had tried setVersioned with both true and false, same result.

Thanks,

Peter.

On 3/28/07, Matej Knopp <[hidden email]> wrote:
Peter, are you using 1.x? this can be caused by ajax requests being
non-versioned in 1.2. In 1.x, the changes should be merged to latest
version.

On 3/28/07, Igor Vaynberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> matej didnt you fix this in 1.x svn?
>
> -igor
>

> On 3/28/07, Peter Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a panel A that is replaced by another panel B over Ajax using
> Component.replaceWith ().  Panel B contains a few Links.
> >
> > Say I navigate to this Page and trigger the event that causes panel B to

> replace Panel A.  Then I click one of the Link(s) within Panel B that brings
> up another page.
> >
> > Now when I use the browser back button I see the first Page where B is
> visible as expected.  But now when I click on another Link within B - it
> causes a Wicket runtime exception: component [...] not found on page [...]
> >
> > Everywhere else across the app, browser back-button works beautifully.  Is
> this problem to be expected if you have links within an area on a page
> refreshed using Ajax and then you use the browser back button to try other
> links in that area?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Peter.

> your
> > opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&amp;p=sourceforge&amp;CID=DEVDEV" target="_blank"> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV

Re: Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

Peter Thomas
Igor,

I now see that there is a 1.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT (as opposed to 1.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT which I was using earlier).

I assume this is the latest version and just switched.  But Looks like wicket.markup.html.form.validation.AbstractValidator has disappeared.  I don't see a mention of this at http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/migrate-13.html can you help?

Other API changes I noted:
- getObject(Component) in AbstractReadOnlyModel became getObject()
- FeedBackMessage.getMessage() returns Object not String
- IStringResourceLoader added one method signature loadStringResource(Component, String)

Thanks,

Peter.

On 3/29/07, Igor Vaynberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
peter can you try updating to the lastest snapshot and trying again?

-igor

On 3/28/07, Peter Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Matej - I am using wicket-1.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar dated 2007-03-12

Let me know if you need any more details.  On the Page in question I had tried setVersioned with both true and false, same result.

Thanks,

Peter.

On 3/28/07, Matej Knopp <[hidden email]> wrote:
Peter, are you using 1.x? this can be caused by ajax requests being
non-versioned in 1.2. In 1.x, the changes should be merged to latest
version.

On 3/28/07, Igor Vaynberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> matej didnt you fix this in 1.x svn?
>
> -igor
>

> On 3/28/07, Peter Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a panel A that is replaced by another panel B over Ajax using
> Component.replaceWith ().  Panel B contains a few Links.
> >
> > Say I navigate to this Page and trigger the event that causes panel B to

> replace Panel A.  Then I click one of the Link(s) within Panel B that brings
> up another page.
> >
> > Now when I use the browser back button I see the first Page where B is
> visible as expected.  But now when I click on another Link within B - it
> causes a Wicket runtime exception: component [...] not found on page [...]
> >
> > Everywhere else across the app, browser back-button works beautifully.  Is
> this problem to be expected if you have links within an area on a page
> refreshed using Ajax and then you use the browser back button to try other
> links in that area?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Peter.

> your
> > opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&amp;p=sourceforge&amp;CID=DEVDEV" target="_blank"> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV

Re: Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

Igor Vaynberg-2
hmm, it is briefly mentioned under

Validation Changes

i dont remember if we still have abstract validator or not, see the source of other alidators and if they extend something.

I assume this is the latest version and just switched.  But Looks like wicket.markup.html.form.validation.AbstractValidator has disappeared.  I don't see a mention of this at <a href="http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/migrate-13.html" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/migrate-13.html can you help?

Other API changes I noted:
- getObject(Component) in AbstractReadOnlyModel became getObject()
- FeedBackMessage.getMessage() returns Object not String
- IStringResourceLoader added one method signature loadStringResource(Component, String)

Thanks,

Peter.

On 3/29/07, Igor Vaynberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
peter can you try updating to the lastest snapshot and trying again?

-igor

On 3/28/07, Peter Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Matej - I am using wicket-1.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar dated 2007-03-12

Let me know if you need any more details.  On the Page in question I had tried setVersioned with both true and false, same result.

Thanks,

Peter.

On 3/28/07, Matej Knopp <[hidden email]> wrote:
Peter, are you using 1.x? this can be caused by ajax requests being
non-versioned in 1.2. In 1.x, the changes should be merged to latest
version.

On 3/28/07, Igor Vaynberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> matej didnt you fix this in 1.x svn?
>
> -igor
>

> On 3/28/07, Peter Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a panel A that is replaced by another panel B over Ajax using
> Component.replaceWith ().  Panel B contains a few Links.
> >
> > Say I navigate to this Page and trigger the event that causes panel B to

> replace Panel A.  Then I click one of the Link(s) within Panel B that brings
> up another page.
> >
> > Now when I use the browser back button I see the first Page where B is
> visible as expected.  But now when I click on another Link within B - it
> causes a Wicket runtime exception: component [...] not found on page [...]
> >
> > Everywhere else across the app, browser back-button works beautifully.  Is
> this problem to be expected if you have links within an area on a page
> refreshed using Ajax and then you use the browser back button to try other
> links in that area?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Peter.

> your
> > opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&amp;p=sourceforge&amp;CID=DEVDEV" target="_blank"> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV

Re: Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

Peter Thomas
Ok, my bad - the documentation does mention the package change to wicket.validation.validator.AbstractValidator

But the API looks a lot different, can you quickly point me to the online Javadoc corresponding to 1.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT - also if it is downloadable as a zip or something.

> [...]

> causes a Wicket runtime exception: component [...] not found on page [...]
> >
> > Everywhere else across the app, browser back-button works beautifully.  Is
> this problem to be expected if you have links within an area on a page
> refreshed using Ajax and then you use the browser back button to try other
> links in that area?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Peter.

> your
> > opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&amp;p=sourceforge&amp;CID=DEVDEV" target="_blank"> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV

Re: Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

Eelco Hillenius
http://wicketstuff.org/maven/repository/org/apache/wicket/wicket/1.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT/wicket-1.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT-javadoc.jar

It would be good if someone could write a couple of scentences on how
to migrate from the old to the new ones. It's not difficult, but
indeed a bit different.

Eelco

On 3/28/07, Peter Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, my bad - the documentation does mention the package change to
> wicket.validation.validator.AbstractValidator
>
> But the API looks a lot different, can you quickly point me to the online
> Javadoc corresponding to 1.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT - also if it is
> downloadable as a zip or something.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Peter.
>
> On 3/29/07, Igor Vaynberg < [hidden email]> wrote:
> > hmm, it is briefly mentioned under
> >
> > Validation Changes i dont remember if we still have abstract validator or
> not, see the source of other alidators and if they extend something.
> >

> > -igor
> >

> > On 3/28/07, Peter Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Igor,
> > >
> > > I now see that there is a 1.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT (as opposed to
> 1.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT which I was using earlier).
> > >
> > > I assume this is the latest version and just switched.  But Looks like
> wicket.markup.html.form.validation.AbstractValidator has
> disappeared.  I don't see a mention of this at
> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/migrate-13.html can you
> help?
> > >
> > > Other API changes I noted:
> > > - getObject(Component) in AbstractReadOnlyModel became getObject()
> > > - FeedBackMessage.getMessage() returns Object not String
> > > - IStringResourceLoader added one method signature
> loadStringResource(Component, String)
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Peter.

> wicket-1.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar dated 2007-03-12

> had tried setVersioned with both true and false, same result.

> being
> latest

> using

> panel B to
> that brings

> where B is
> within B - it
> page [...]
> beautifully.  Is
> a page
> try other

> to share
> earn cash

> to share your
> cash

> share your
> cash

Re: Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

we only have an unofficial release for it that is a zip. search the list for it, it is in martijn's dir somewhere.

other then that all the jars/src/and javadocs are available from that wicketstuff.org maven repo.

all the new classes in wicket.validator package have pretty good javadocs so that might be a place to start

> [...]

> causes a Wicket runtime exception: component [...] not found on page [...]
> >
> > Everywhere else across the app, browser back-button works beautifully.  Is
> this problem to be expected if you have links within an area on a page
> refreshed using Ajax and then you use the browser back button to try other
> links in that area?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Peter.

> your
> > opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&amp;p=sourceforge&amp;CID=DEVDEV" target="_blank"> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV

Re: Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

Thanks Eelco & Igor I got the api and src and made the changes for AbstractValidator - will also try to add some stuff to the wiki page as soon as I finish refactoring.

But I have a big problem with the usage of wicket:message attribute (tag works fine).  This is the error:

wicket.markup.MarkupException: Unable to find component with id '<auto>-message_attr' in [MarkupContainer [...]]

This is the offending markup:  <input type="submit" wicket:message="value= login.submit"/>

Any idea how to proceed?  Looks like something related to wicket:message attribute i18n broke.

other then that all the jars/src/and javadocs are available from that <a href="http://wicketstuff.org" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> wicketstuff.org maven repo.

> [...]

> causes a Wicket runtime exception: component [...] not found on page [...]
> >
> > Everywhere else across the app, browser back-button works beautifully.  Is
> this problem to be expected if you have links within an area on a page
> refreshed using Ajax and then you use the browser back button to try other
> links in that area?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Peter.

> your
> > opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&amp;p=sourceforge&amp;CID=DEVDEV" target="_blank"> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV

Re: Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

<auto> is something from 2.0, are you sure you have the right jars?

> [...]

> causes a Wicket runtime exception: component [...] not found on page [...]
> >
> > Everywhere else across the app, browser back-button works beautifully.  Is
> this problem to be expected if you have links within an area on a page
> refreshed using Ajax and then you use the browser back button to try other
> links in that area?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Peter.

> your
> > opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&amp;p=sourceforge&amp;CID=DEVDEV" target="_blank"> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV

Re: Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

Pretty sure.  I'm using Maven2 and the JAR name is wicket-1.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar

> [...]

> causes a Wicket runtime exception: component [...] not found on page [...]
> >
> > Everywhere else across the app, browser back-button works beautifully.  Is
> this problem to be expected if you have links within an area on a page
> refreshed using Ajax and then you use the browser back button to try other
> links in that area?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Peter.

> your
> > opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&amp;p=sourceforge&amp;CID=DEVDEV" target="_blank"> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV

Re: Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

And the Ajax replace / browser back-button problem is still there even in 1.3.0 [29-Mar].  Do you need me to open a JIRA?  I'll revert to 1.3 for now.

Thanks,

Peter.

On 3/29/07, Peter Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> replace Panel A.  Then I click one of the Link(s) within Panel B that brings
> up another page.
> >
> > Now when I use the browser back button I see the first Page where B is
> visible as expected.  But now when I click on another Link within B - it
> causes a Wicket runtime exception: component [...] not found on page [...]
> >
> > Everywhere else across the app, browser back-button works beautifully.  Is
> this problem to be expected if you have links within an area on a page
> refreshed using Ajax and then you use the browser back button to try other
> links in that area?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Peter.

> your
> > opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash

Re: Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

yes, create a jira

-igor

> [...]

> causes a Wicket runtime exception: component [...] not found on page [...]
> >
> > Everywhere else across the app, browser back-button works beautifully.  Is
> this problem to be expected if you have links within an area on a page
> refreshed using Ajax and then you use the browser back button to try other
> links in that area?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Peter.

> your
> > opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&amp;p=sourceforge&amp;CID=DEVDEV" target="_blank"> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV

Re: Ajax component replaceWith and browser back-button problems

dukejansen
Was this ever resolved? I'm still seeing problems when I use back button, where the ajax actions on the previous page are being evaluated as though they were for the more recent page, as if the ajax actions have no way of knowing what page they are for, so assuming the one rendered most recentely....

igor.vaynberg wrote
yes, create a jira

-igor

On 8/6/07, dukejansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Was this ever resolved? I'm still seeing problems when I use back button,
> where the ajax actions on the previous page are being evaluated as though
> they were for the more recent page, as if the ajax actions have no way of
> knowing what page they are for, so assuming the one rendered most
> recentely....

The Ajax versioning problem was resolved for me in one of the later
snapshots.  1.3.0-beta2 works fine for me as well.