Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

12

Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Martijn Dashorst-4
The Apache Wicket team is proud to announce the immediate availability of the
newest release of their component oriented open source Java web framework.
Apache Wicket 1.5 has been in development for the last two years and brings
many improvements over previous versions.

Downloading Apache Wicket 1.5
-----------------------------

You can download the release here:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.5.0

Or use this in your Maven POM to upgrade to the new version:

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.apache.wicket</groupId>
    <artifactId>wicket-core</artifactId>
    <version>1.5.0</version>
</dependency>

Please note that Wicket’s main artifact ID has been renamed to wicket-core.

You will need to upgrade all modules (i.e. wicket, wicket-extensions,
wicket-ioc, wicket-spring, etc) to 1.5.0. It is not possible to mix previous
versions of Wicket with modules of this release.

Most notable changes
--------------------

With this release the Wicket team has revised many of its internals. A
short list:

 - HTML5 components added: EmailTextField, NumberTextField, UrlTextField and
   RangeTextField

 - New inter-component events (explained below)

 - Minimum required servlet API is servlet-api 2.5

 - All standard validators now extend Behavior to allow for client side
   validations

 - IBehavior has been removed and AbstractBehavior has been deprecated, you
   should now extend Behavior instead

 - Simplified the request cycle processing and made it more extensible

 - URL handling is now in one place

 - Wicket’s rendering code has been greatly simplified

 - Improved browser caching support

 - ClientSideImageMap replaces old ImageMap

 - Better support for running behind proxies with x-forwarded-for header

 - Request cycle listeners make it easier to integrate frameworks in your
   Wicket application

 - Consistent naming: methods with Javascript in the name have been renamed to
   use proper capitalization: JavaScript

 - Switching to HTTPS is as simple as configuring a new root mapper to make
   Wicket HTTPS aware and annotating a page with @RequireHttps

A longer list of changes and improvements can be found in our migration
guide.

Inter-component events
----------------------

Wicket 1.5 offers a simple, yet flexible, way for component to communicate
with each other in a decoupled manner. The two major interfaces that
facilitate this are:

        /**
         * Objects that can send events
         */
        public interface IEventSource {
            <T> void send(IEventSink sink, Broadcast broadcast, T payload);
        }

and

        /**
         * Objects that can receive events
         */
        public interface IEventSink
        {
            /**
             * Called when an event is sent to this sink
             */
            void onEvent(IEvent<?> event);
        }

The classes that implement these interfaces, and can thus participate in the
event mechanism are: Component, RequestCycle, Session, and Application.

The mechanism allows for different event broadcast methods defined here:

        /**
         * Defines the event broadcast type.
         */
        public enum Broadcast {
            BREADTH,
            DEPTH,
            BUBBLE,
            EXACT;
        }

There is an example in wicket-examples which demonstrates the usage of this.

Applications can register custom event dispatchers in FrameworkSettings; the
dispatchers can be used to build custom event delivery mechanisms. For example
a custom IEventDispatcher mechanism can route events to annotated methods, for
example:

        public class MyComponent extends Component {
            @OnEvent
            private void onUserAdded(UserAddedEvent event) {...}
        }

where UserAddedEvent is the event payload object.

The default Component#onEvent method will be called even if custom dispatchers
are registered.

A default event is raised whenever Wicket begins to create an AJAX response.
The payload of the event is the AjaxRequestTarget used for event. Sample
implementation:

        // component that always adds itself to the ajax response
        public class MyComponent extends Component {
            public void onEvent(IEvent event) {
                if (event.getPayload() instanceof AjaxRequestTarget) {
                    ((AjaxRequestTarget)event.getPayload()).add(this);

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

duesenklipper
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 00:17:25 +0200
Martijn Dashorst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Apache Wicket team is proud to announce the immediate
> availability of the newest release of their component oriented open
> source Java web framework. Apache Wicket 1.5 has been in development
> for the last two years and brings many improvements over previous
> versions.

Congratulations! And thanks to the Wicket team for the good work.

Carl-Eric
www.wicketbuch.de

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Jonathan Locke
Hooray!!

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Duy Do
Big news! You made my day. Thanks a lot for your great working.

Frédéric Donckels
Congratulations!

The event system is really a bliss.

F.

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Bernhard Schauer
w00t, Wicket FTW!

On 2011-09-08 05:31, Duy Do wrote:

> [...]
>> example:
>>
>>     public class MyComponent extends Component {
>>         @OnEvent
>>         private void onUserAdded(UserAddedEvent event) {...}
>>     }
>>
>> where UserAddedEvent is the event payload object.
>>
>> The default Component#onEvent method will be called even if custom
>> dispatchers
>> are registered.
>>
>> A default event is raised whenever Wicket begins to create an AJAX
>> response.
>> The payload of the event is the AjaxRequestTarget used for event. Sample
>> implementation:
>>
>>     // component that always adds itself to the ajax response
>>     public class MyComponent extends Component {
>>         public void onEvent(IEvent event) {
>>             if (event.getPayload() instanceof AjaxRequestTarget) {
>>                 ((AjaxRequestTarget)event.getPayload()).add(this);

Hans Lesmeister 2
Congratulations! Thank you for this great Framework.

Martijn Dashorst <[hidden email]> schrieb:

[...]

        public class MyCompo

Hans

http://cantaa.de

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Ilya German-2
Congratulations and thanks a lot!

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Hans Lesmeister <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> example
> a custom IEventDispatcher mechanism can route events to annotated methods,
> for
> example:
>
>        public class MyComponent extends Component {
>         @OnEvent
>         private void onUserAdded(UserAddedEvent event) {...}
>        }
>
> where UserAddedEvent is the event payload object.
>
> The default Component#onEvent method will be called even if custom
> dispatchers
> are registered.
>
> A default event is raised whenever Wicket begins to create an AJAX
> response.
> The payload of the event is the AjaxRequestTarget used for event. Sample
> implementation:
>
>        // component that always adds itself to the ajax response

rebecca
Thank you wicket team for all your work and effort!!!

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Bruno Borges
Thank you WTeam! =)

*Bruno Borges*
(21) 7672-7099
*www.brunoborges.com*

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 6:00 AM, rebecca <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you wicket team for all your work and effort!!!

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Peter Karich
 Thanks a lot wicketers! Wicket is a really great and smart piece of
software!

Regards,
Peter.

--
http://jetsli.de news reader for geeks

> [...]
> example:
>
> public class MyComponent extends Component {
>    @OnEvent
>    private void onUserAdded(UserAddedEvent event) {...}
> }
>
> where UserAddedEvent is the event payload object.
>
> The default Component#onEvent method will be called even if custom dispatchers
> are registered.
>
> A default event is raised whenever Wicket begins to create an AJAX response.
> The payload of the event is the AjaxRequestTarget used for event. Sample
> implementation:
>
> // component that always adds itself to the ajax response
> public class MyComponent extends Component {
>    public void onEvent(IEvent event) {
>        if (event.getPayload() instanceof AjaxRequestTarget) {
>            ((AjaxRequestTarget)event.getPayload()).add(this);

nino martinez wael
thumbs up :)

-Nino

2011/9/8 Peter Karich <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> example:
>>
>>       public class MyComponent extends Component {
>>           @OnEvent
>>           private void onUserAdded(UserAddedEvent event) {...}
>>       }
>>
>> where UserAddedEvent is the event payload object.
>>
>> The default Component#onEvent method will be called even if custom dispatchers
>> are registered.
>>
>> A default event is raised whenever Wicket begins to create an AJAX response.
>> The payload of the event is the AjaxRequestTarget used for event. Sample
>> implementation:
>>
>>       // component that always adds itself to the ajax response
>>       public class MyComponent extends Component {
>>           public void onEvent(IEvent event) {
>>               if (event.getPayload() instanceof AjaxRequestTarget) {
>>                   ((AjaxRequestTarget)event.getPayload()).add(this);

Andrea Del Bene-2
I think this version represents a very important step for the evolution
of Wicket. With 1.5 many of the core entities have been re-engineered
and the result is a great piece of software!

> [...]
> example:
>
> public class MyComponent extends Component {
>    @OnEvent
>    private void onUserAdded(UserAddedEvent event) {...}
> }
>
> where UserAddedEvent is the event payload object.
>
> The default Component#onEvent method will be called even if custom dispatchers
> are registered.
>
> A default event is raised whenever Wicket begins to create an AJAX response.
> The payload of the event is the AjaxRequestTarget used for event. Sample
> implementation:
>
> // component that always adds itself to the ajax response
> public class MyComponent extends Component {
>    public void onEvent(IEvent event) {
>        if (event.getPayload() instanceof AjaxRequestTarget) {
>            ((AjaxRequestTarget)event.getPayload()).add(this);

Marcus Breier
Congratulations to new 1.5 version.

M.

Am 08.09.2011 00:17, schrieb Martijn Dashorst:
> The Apache Wicket team is proud to announce the immediate availability of the
> newest release of their component oriented open source Java web framework.
> Apache Wicket 1.5 has been in development for the last two years and brings
> many improvements over previous versions.

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

martin.dilger
Congratulations, it's a Wicket!

Great work!

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Nelson Segura
Woohoo! Thanks to all involved in making this happen. Now I can start
working in our migration!

-Nelson Segura

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Kailash Yadav

Congratulations and thanks for great work :)

Kailash Yadav

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Olivier Dutrieux
very very nice. Thx for all your hard works

Best regards

Duto
Duto
Per

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Per

Thanks to all the contributors for their hard work! It's been a long wait, so we're very keen to upgrade sometime later this year. Well done!

Cheers,
Per

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

gilbertoca
Congratulations! Thanks Wicket team!

Here[1], we have an template application(used for every new module) based in the 1.14.17 version. I would like to migrate that template but it depends on wicket-extensions[2] and wicketstuff-jasperreports[3] both are not released  yet as you can see.

Is there one release date for theses sub-projects?

Regards,

Gilberto
blog.gilbertoca.com
www.secad.to.gov.br