Client browser timezone offset

Calin Pavel-2
I'm trying to detect what is the current timezone offset for a client
browser accessing my Wicket application.
I found out that BrowserInfoForm.ClientPropertiesBean contains details
about:
- utcOffset
- utcDstOffset
but these are calculated at 1.Jan and 1.June.

Is there any way to determine on server side what is the CURRENT timezone
offset of the client?
I've tried to use ClientPropertiesBean.timeZone, but that is relative /
guest and not real client timezone.

--

Kind Regards,

*CALIN PAVELSoftware Engineer - consultant*
[hidden email]

*TVH PARTS HOLDING NV*
Vichtseweg 129 • BE-8790 WAREGEM
T +32 56 43 42 11 <+3256434211> • F +32 56 43 44 88 • www.tvh.com

<https://www.tvh.com/>

--

**** DISCLAIMER
<https://media.tvh.com/content/pdf/various/Email-disclaimer.pdf> ****

This
message is delivered to all addressees subject to the conditions set forth
in the attached disclaimer, which is an integral part of this message.

When you communicate with us via e-mail, telephone, fax or via our website,
we process your personal data. For more information on how we process your
personal data, please consult our Privacy Policy
<https://www.tvh.com/privacy-policy>. By communicating with us, you
unambiguously consent to our use of your personal data as explained in the
Privacy Policy.

Re: Client browser timezone offset

Maxim Solodovnik
Hello,

according to stackoverflow [1]
you can use Intl.DateTimeFormat().resolvedOptions().timeZone
ClientProperties can be extended to get this info on server

[1]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6939685/get-client-time-zone-from-browser

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Client browser timezone offset

Maxim Solodovnik
@devs are we supporting IE11 for wicket9? if not we can add this call to
standard ClientProperties ...
WDYT?

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Client browser timezone offset

Maxim Solodovnik
On the other hand: the old code can be used if TZ is not available
I'll do some tests and will create PR

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Client browser timezone offset

I didn't get what is the problem with the current code.
For me http://examples8x.wicket.apache.org/ajaxhellobrowser/ shows
utcDSTOffset=3
utcOffset=2
which seems to be correct.

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 5:56 PM Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On the other hand: the old code can be used if TZ is not available
> I'll do some tests and will create PR
>
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 22:51, Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > @devs are we supporting IE11 for wicket9? if not we can add this call to
> > standard ClientProperties ...
> > WDYT?
> >
> > On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 22:48, Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> according to stackoverflow [1]
> >> you can use Intl.DateTimeFormat().resolvedOptions().timeZone
> >> ClientProperties can be extended to get this info on server
> >>
> >> [1]
> >>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6939685/get-client-time-zone-from-browser

> timezone

> >> --
> >> WBR
> >> Maxim aka solomax
> >>

> > --
> > WBR
> > Maxim aka solomax
> >

> --
> WBR
> Maxim aka solomax

Re: Client browser timezone offset

Calin Pavel
Current code is working ok. There is no problem with it.
But it gives you the UtcOffset at 1.Jan.2019 and UtcDstOffset at
1.June.2019.

But I do not know how to determine what is the CURRENT timezone offset
(for Date.NOW)

On 10/28/2019 6:24 PM, Martin Grigorov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I didn't get what is the problem with the current code.
> For me http://examples8x.wicket.apache.org/ajaxhellobrowser/ shows
> utcDSTOffset=3
> utcOffset=2
> which seems to be correct.
>
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 5:56 PM Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On the other hand: the old code can be used if TZ is not available
>> I'll do some tests and will create PR
>>
>> On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 22:51, Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> @devs are we supporting IE11 for wicket9? if not we can add this call to
>>> standard ClientProperties ...
>>> WDYT?

>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6939685/get-client-time-zone-from-browser

>> timezone

>>> --
>>> WBR
>>> Maxim aka solomax
>>>

>> --
>> WBR
>> Maxim aka solomax

Re: Client browser timezone offset

Maxim Solodovnik
@Calin, you can use (new Date().getTimezoneOffset() / -60);
Then you can use code like this
http://examples8x.wicket.apache.org/ajaxhellobrowser/wicket/bookmarkable/org.apache.wicket.examples.source.SourcesPage;jsessionid=01612235C0920A71B39B2D8CA0FA641A?0&SourcesPage_class=org.apache.wicket.examples.ajaxhellobrowser.AjaxHelloBrowser&source=AjaxHelloBrowser.java

to get this value on the server side

@Martin Actually the code works, BUT
1) for me it shows timezone as "GMT+07:00" instead of Asia/Novosibirsk
    And there are a lot of time zones with same offset ....
2) there are a lot of magic in the current code (for ex.
southern hemisphere time zone calculation
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-6689)
3*) I guess this calculation can stop working in a year time zone rules are
changed

I believe this might be improvement to wicket code base to let browser do
the real time zone calculation :)

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

https://github.com/apache/wicket/pull/396