Feedback next to each input field on form

Feedback next to each input field on form

srinash
Hoping someone will guide me through this process. I am looking to display the each error message beside the fields as opposed to the top of the page inside the form . Can you please let me know how i can go about doing this.

seen this ComponentFeedbackPanel, any working example will be really helpful. noob here.

Thank you

Re: Feedback next to each input field on form

Sandor Feher

Re: Feedback next to each input field on form

Dan Retzlaff
You might find my wiki post on application-wide validation error styling
helpful:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/Automatic+styling+of+form+errors

Putting the actual validation text next to the form component is trickier
since it affects layout. If you can't make an application listener work,
then I think you're stuck manually placing component-scoped feedback
components as in Sandor's link.

Dan

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Sandor Feher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you seen this ?
>
> http://stuq.nl/weblog/2008-09-03/user-friendly-form-validation-with-wicket

Re: Feedback next to each input field on form

srinash
Thank you both for the inputs. I will take a look and get back with my progress i guess.

Re: Feedback next to each input field on form

Andrew Geery
Another great resource is _Apache Wicket Cookbook_ by Igor:
http://www.amazon.com/Apache-Wicket-Cookbook-Igor-Vaynberg/dp/1849511608.
Chapter three has a good discussion around what you're trying to do.

Andrew

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM, srinash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you both for the inputs. I will take a look and get back with my
> progress i guess.

Re: Feedback next to each input field on form

srinash
I tried to follow the example in chapter 3 of book mentioned.

ComponentFeedbackMessageFilter
JAVA:
Formcomponent fName;
form.add(new FeedbackPanel("nameFeedback", new ComponentFeedbackMessageFilter(fName)));

HTML:
<nabble_embed> <label for="first_name">*First Name:</label> <input wicket:id="firstName" class="inputTxt" type="text" id="first_name" /> <div wicket:id="nameFeedback"></div> </nabble_embed>

I do not get any output in the first name textbox.

Can you let me know what I am doing wrong

Thank you

Re: Feedback next to each input field on form

srinash
can someone help me with this.

thank you

Re: Feedback next to each input field on form

Martin Grigorov-4
See http://code.google.com/p/londonwicket/downloads/detail?name=LondonWicket-FormsWithFlair.pdf&can=2&q=

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:23 AM, srinash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> can someone help me with this.
>
> thank you

Re: Feedback next to each input field on form

lucast
Hi srinash,
Since you have mentioned you have the wicket cookbook, I would suggest that you implement the example step, by step.
Also, go to apache wicket cookbook website and download the code for each example.

Once you have downloaded the sample code, you will have a working example and the instructions from the book.

If you still have problems with feedback for each field, then post a question again.

I know that the examples from the book are in wicket 1.4 and I had some trouble with some examples running on wicket 1.5, make sure they work on the wicket version you are running.

I hope that helps,
Lucas

Re: Feedback next to each input field on form

srinash
Thank you for your replies. Let me take a look at the code.