Form/Panel/WebMarkupContainer Problems

Johannes Fahrenkrug
Hi,

I have a Page with one big form. The Form has different sections that I
always want to render, but sometimes want to hide on the client side
with the CSS visibility=hidden style.

This is the html that WORKS:

<form wicket:id="form">
  <input wicket:id....
  <input wicket:id....

    <input type="text" wicket:id="name">
    <input type="text" wicket:id="city">
</form>

I subclass the form an add the textFields directly to the form.
Everything's fine.

But when I give the <div> a wicket:id ...

and add the name and city textFields to the panel and the panel to the
form, the textFields fail to render.
This is the code (inside the subclassed form's constructor)

WebMarkupContainer panel = new WebMarkupContainer("panel");
panel.add(new TextField("name", new PropertyModel(model, "name")));
panel.add(new TextField("city", new PropertyModel(model, "city")));
add(panel);

What am I doing wrong?

- Johannes.

Re: Form/Panel/WebMarkupContainer Problems

jdonnerstag
What is the error message? What exactly fails? At a first glance it
looks good to me.

Juergen

On 1/2/06, Johannes Fahrenkrug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Page with one big form. The Form has different sections that I
> always want to render, but sometimes want to hide on the client side
> with the CSS visibility=hidden style.
>
> This is the html that WORKS:

> <form wicket:id="form">
>  <input wicket:id....
>  <input wicket:id....

>    <input type="text" wicket:id="name">
>    <input type="text" wicket:id="city">
> </form>
>
> I subclass the form an add the textFields directly to the form.
> Everything's fine.
>
> But when I give the <div> a wicket:id ...
>
> and add the name and city textFields to the panel and the panel to the
> form, the textFields fail to render.
> This is the code (inside the subclassed form's constructor)
>
> WebMarkupContainer panel = new WebMarkupContainer("panel");
> panel.add(new TextField("name", new PropertyModel(model, "name")));
> panel.add(new TextField("city", new PropertyModel(model, "city")));
> add(panel);
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> - Johannes.

Re: Form/Panel/WebMarkupContainer Problems

Johannes Fahrenkrug
Juergen,

you're right, my simplified example does work. my slightly more complex
real application has a similar case that rises the problem I talked
about. I am still investigating and I'm trying to build an example that
demonstrates the issue.
This it what I have so far:

I think in MarkupContainer.java, in children_get, the IDs of the direct
children are checked, but not the children of the children.
I added a comment at the spot in question.

private final Component children_get(final String id)
    {
        if (children instanceof Component)
        {
            final Component component = (Component)children;
            if (component.getId().equals(id))
            {
                return component;
        else
        {
            if (children != null)
            {
                final Component[] components = (Component[])children;
                for (int i = 0; i < components.length; i++)
                {

//At this point,  I find the WebMarkupContainer. The ID of the
WebMarkupContainer is checked, doesn't match the id of the TextField,
//and hence null gets returned. If the method would dive into the
children of the WebMarkupContainer it would find the TextField and
//return it.

                    if (components[i].getId().equals(id))
                    {
                        return components[i];
        return null;
    }

Please let me know what you think. I will try to fabricate a working
example and post it here as soon as I am successful.

- Johannes.

Juergen Donnerstag wrote:

>What is the error message? What exactly fails? At a first glance it
>looks good to me.
>
>Juergen
>
>On 1/2/06, Johannes Fahrenkrug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a Page with one big form. The Form has different sections that I
>>always want to render, but sometimes want to hide on the client side
>>with the CSS visibility=hidden style.
>>
>>This is the html that WORKS:

>><form wicket:id="form">
>> <input wicket:id....
>> <input wicket:id....

>>   <input type="text" wicket:id="name">
>>   <input type="text" wicket:id="city">
>></form>
>>
>>I subclass the form an add the textFields directly to the form.
>>Everything's fine.
>>
>>But when I give the <div> a wicket:id ...
>>
>>and add the name and city textFields to the panel and the panel to the
>>form, the textFields fail to render.
>>This is the code (inside the subclassed form's constructor)
>>
>>WebMarkupContainer panel = new WebMarkupContainer("panel");
>>panel.add(new TextField("name", new PropertyModel(model, "name")));
>>panel.add(new TextField("city", new PropertyModel(model, "city")));
>>add(panel);
>>
>>What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>- Johannes.

Re: Form/Panel/WebMarkupContainer Problems

jdonnerstag
children_get() deliberately iterates over is direct children only. I
don't think this is the reason. May be you can copy the exception,
that sometimes helps.

Missing close tags? Quotes not closed? Are you able to preview the markup?

> [...]

> >><form wicket:id="form">
> >> <input wicket:id....
> >> <input wicket:id....

> >>   <input type="text" wicket:id="name">
> >>   <input type="text" wicket:id="city">
> >></form>
> >>
> >>I subclass the form an add the textFields directly to the form.
> >>Everything's fine.
> >>
> >>But when I give the <div> a wicket:id ...
> >>
> >>and add the name and city textFields to the panel and the panel to the
> >>form, the textFields fail to render.
> >>This is the code (inside the subclassed form's constructor)
> >>
> >>WebMarkupContainer panel = new WebMarkupContainer("panel");
> >>panel.add(new TextField("name", new PropertyModel(model, "name")));
> >>panel.add(new TextField("city", new PropertyModel(model, "city")));
> >>add(panel);
> >>
> >>What am I doing wrong?
> >>
> >>- Johannes.

Re: Form/Panel/WebMarkupContainer Problems

ARG! It is Monday morning.
wicHet:id........ boohoohoo.

But there's still one thing I'm wondering about: Wicket complained about
not being able to find the TextField component, whereas
I was adding a WebMarkupContainer that didn't have a corresponding
wicket:id, thanks to my typo.
Wouldn't an error message about the MarkupContainer's missing
corresponding html be more appropriate at this point?

Anyway, it was all my fault.... grrr. :)

Off to lunch!

- Johannes.

Juergen Donnerstag wrote:

>children_get() deliberately iterates over is direct children only. I
>don't think this is the reason. May be you can copy the exception,
>that sometimes helps.
>
>Missing close tags? Quotes not closed? Are you able to preview the markup?
>
>Juergen
>
>On 1/2/06, Johannes Fahrenkrug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Juergen,
>>
>>you're right, my simplified example does work. my slightly more complex
>>real application has a similar case that rises the problem I talked
>>about. I am still investigating and I'm trying to build an example that
>>demonstrates the issue.
>>This it what I have so far:
>>
>>I think in MarkupContainer.java, in children_get, the IDs of the direct
>>children are checked, but not the children of the children.
>>I added a comment at the spot in question.
>>
>>private final Component children_get(final String id)
>>   {
>>       if (children instanceof Component)
>>       {
>>           final Component component = (Component)children;
>>           if (component.getId().equals(id))
>>           {
>>               return component;
>>           }
>>       }
>>       else
>>       {
>>           if (children != null)
>>           {
>>               final Component[] components = (Component[])children;
>>               for (int i = 0; i < components.length; i++)
>>               {
>>

>>//At this point,  I find the WebMarkupContainer. The ID of the
>>WebMarkupContainer is checked, doesn't match the id of the TextField,
>>//and hence null gets returned. If the method would dive into the
>>children of the WebMarkupContainer it would find the TextField and
>>//return it.
>>
>>                   if (components[i].getId().equals(id))
>>                   {
>>                       return components[i];
>>                   }
>>               }
>>           }
>>       }
>>       return null;
>>   }
>>
>>Please let me know what you think. I will try to fabricate a working
>>example and post it here as soon as I am successful.
>>
>>- Johannes.
>>
>>Juergen Donnerstag wrote:
>>

>>>What is the error message? What exactly fails? At a first glance it
>>>looks good to me.
>>>
>>>Juergen

Re: Form/Panel/WebMarkupContainer Problems

jdonnerstag
The error message about the WebMarkupContainer would have come later
when wicket checks that all components have been rendered. Wicket does
NOT iterate the tree and try to find the associated markup. It rather
iterates over the markup and resolves the associated component. .