Future releases and random thoughts

Andrea Del Bene-3
Hi,

I think it's time to share some ideas about future releases and
developments. Here we go:

- Wicket 8 and 7:  I see we have a decent amount of changes targeted for
8.3
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310561&version=12344559).
This is not the case for version 7.x, which doesn't have yet many issues
solved for the next version 7.11.0
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310561&version=12344758).
Should we consider to release 8.3 and 7.11.0 or do you think we'd better
wait for the 7.x version to reach a "critical mass" of changes?

- Wicket 9: after we close "Wicket-6563 page store implementation"
(https://github.com/apache/wicket/pull/283) I think we could consider to
release the first milestone for Wicket 9. Sounds good to you?

Speaking of future developments for Wicket 9, I've got (so far) a couple
of nice-to-have:

- Use Java modularization (project Jigsaw): we should work to fully
embrace the new modularization framework. If I remember correctly Martin
has done some work with automatic modules but I can't find the exact
commit at the moment.

- Dismiss utility classes Time and Duration: Wicket still heavily use a
couple of classes from package org.apache.wicket.util.time: Time and
Duration. These classes are virtually equivalent to java.time.Instant
and java.time.Duration. I'm aware that this is not a trivial task and
it's quite delicate, but I'd really like to not depend on custom code
for tasks like time and dates that are well supported by Java. For those
who are interested I've started to make some experiment with this task
and the results are very encouraging as most of the changes are in-place
replacements of the old classes with the standard entities. You can find
the code here: https://github.com/bitstorm/wicket/tree/remove-time-utils

That's all, let me know what do you think!

Re: Future releases and random thoughts

Maxim Solodovnik
+1 to release 8.3 and 9.0-M1
7.s is usually aligned with 8.x, so they should be released one-by-one :)

will try to be more active on the project :)

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Future releases and random thoughts

Tobias Soloschenko-4
Hi,

I think we should wait for Wicket 7 and release 8 / 9m1

kind regards

Tobias

> Am 21.01.2019 um 03:18 schrieb Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]>:
>
> +1 to release 8.3 and 9.0-M1
> 7.s is usually aligned with 8.x, so they should be released one-by-one :)
>
> will try to be more active on the project :)
>
>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 at 02:49, Andrea Del Bene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think it's time to share some ideas about future releases and
>> developments. Here we go:
>>
>> - Wicket 8 and 7:  I see we have a decent amount of changes targeted for
>> 8.3
>> (
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310561&version=12344559).
>>
>> This is not the case for version 7.x, which doesn't have yet many issues
>> solved for the next version 7.11.0
>> (
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310561&version=12344758).
>>
>> Should we consider to release 8.3 and 7.11.0 or do you think we'd better
>> wait for the 7.x version to reach a "critical mass" of changes?
>>
>> - Wicket 9: after we close "Wicket-6563 page store implementation"
>> (https://github.com/apache/wicket/pull/283) I think we could consider to
>> release the first milestone for Wicket 9. Sounds good to you?
>>
>> Speaking of future developments for Wicket 9, I've got (so far) a couple
>> of nice-to-have:
>>
>> - Use Java modularization (project Jigsaw): we should work to fully
>> embrace the new modularization framework. If I remember correctly Martin
>> has done some work with automatic modules but I can't find the exact
>> commit at the moment.
>>
>> - Dismiss utility classes Time and Duration: Wicket still heavily use a
>> couple of classes from package org.apache.wicket.util.time: Time and
>> Duration. These classes are virtually equivalent to java.time.Instant
>> and java.time.Duration. I'm aware that this is not a trivial task and
>> it's quite delicate, but I'd really like to not depend on custom code
>> for tasks like time and dates that are well supported by Java. For those
>> who are interested I've started to make some experiment with this task
>> and the results are very encouraging as most of the changes are in-place
>> replacements of the old classes with the standard entities. You can find
>> the code here: https://github.com/bitstorm/wicket/tree/remove-time-utils
>>
>> That's all, let me know what do you think!

> WBR
> Maxim aka solomax

Re: Future releases and random thoughts

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 9:49 PM Andrea Del Bene <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it's time to share some ideas about future releases and
> developments. Here we go:
>
> - Wicket 8 and 7:  I see we have a decent amount of changes targeted for
> 8.3

+1 to release 8.3.0

> (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310561&version=12344559).
>
> This is not the case for version 7.x, which doesn't have yet many issues
> solved for the next version 7.11.0
> (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310561&version=12344758).
>
> Should we consider to release 8.3 and 7.11.0 or do you think we'd better
> wait for the 7.x version to reach a "critical mass" of changes?

+1 to release 7.11.0 because of the update of commons-fileupload to 1.4

> - Wicket 9: after we close "Wicket-6563 page store implementation"
> (https://github.com/apache/wicket/pull/283) I think we could consider to
> release the first milestone for Wicket 9. Sounds good to you?

+1

> Speaking of future developments for Wicket 9, I've got (so far) a couple
> of nice-to-have:
>
> - Use Java modularization (project Jigsaw): we should work to fully
> embrace the new modularization framework. If I remember correctly Martin
> has done some work with automatic modules but I can't find the exact
> commit at the moment.

I cannot find it either! Somehow it got lost!
http://branchandbound.net/blog/java/2017/12/automatic-module-name/ - this
article explains the required changes.

But apart from this minimal change I am not sure we should go fully Jigsaw.
Many libraries still do not support Java 9 modules -
https://blog.frankel.ch/hard-look-state-java-modularization/
Servlet specification is not updated to make use of Jigsaw and the web
containers do not make use of it.

> - Dismiss utility classes Time and Duration: Wicket still heavily use a
> couple of classes from package org.apache.wicket.util.time: Time and
> Duration. These classes are virtually equivalent to java.time.Instant
> and java.time.Duration. I'm aware that this is not a trivial task and
> it's quite delicate, but I'd really like to not depend on custom code
> for tasks like time and dates that are well supported by Java. For those
> who are interested I've started to make some experiment with this task
> and the results are very encouraging as most of the changes are in-place
> replacements of the old classes with the standard entities. You can find
> the code here: https://github.com/bitstorm/wicket/tree/remove-time-utils

+1 if the migratiin is easy
The Wicket classes should stay as deprecated for the lifetime of 9.x though

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 9:25 AM Martin Grigorov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Speaking of future developments for Wicket 9, I've got (so far) a couple
> > of nice-to-have:
> >
> > - Use Java modularization (project Jigsaw): we should work to fully
> > embrace the new modularization framework. If I remember correctly Martin
> > has done some work with automatic modules but I can't find the exact
> > commit at the moment.
> >

> I cannot find it either! Somehow it got lost!
> http://branchandbound.net/blog/java/2017/12/automatic-module-name/ - this
> article explains the required changes.
>
> But apart from this minimal change I am not sure we should go fully Jigsaw.
> Many libraries still do not support Java 9 modules -
> https://blog.frankel.ch/hard-look-state-java-modularization/
> Servlet specification is not updated to make use of Jigsaw and the web
> containers do not make use of it.

Yup, I'm not sure modularization should currently be our main focus.
When Java EE supports it, we can follow suit.

> > - Dismiss utility classes Time and Duration: Wicket still heavily use a
> > couple of classes from package org.apache.wicket.util.time: Time and
> > Duration. These classes are virtually equivalent to java.time.Instant
> > and java.time.Duration. I'm aware that this is not a trivial task and
> > it's quite delicate, but I'd really like to not depend on custom code
> > for tasks like time and dates that are well supported by Java. For those
> > who are interested I've started to make some experiment with this task
> > and the results are very encouraging as most of the changes are in-place
> > replacements of the old classes with the standard entities. You can find
> > the code here: https://github.com/bitstorm/wicket/tree/remove-time-utils
>

> +1 if the migratiin is easy
> The Wicket classes should stay as deprecated for the lifetime of 9.x though

I'm not directly opposed to deprecating them in 8.x (though we are at
8.3 soon, so might be a tad late for deprecation) and removing in 9.0
(or making them module private :-D)

Re: Future releases and random thoughts

Related:

https://reproducible-builds.org/docs/jvm/

Interesting reading, and makes maven builds reproducible (when using
the maven plugin)

Martijn

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 8:49 PM Andrea Del Bene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it's time to share some ideas about future releases and
> developments. Here we go:
>
> - Wicket 8 and 7:  I see we have a decent amount of changes targeted for
> 8.3
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310561&version=12344559).
> This is not the case for version 7.x, which doesn't have yet many issues
> solved for the next version 7.11.0
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310561&version=12344758).
> Should we consider to release 8.3 and 7.11.0 or do you think we'd better
> wait for the 7.x version to reach a "critical mass" of changes?
>
> - Wicket 9: after we close "Wicket-6563 page store implementation"
> (https://github.com/apache/wicket/pull/283) I think we could consider to
> release the first milestone for Wicket 9. Sounds good to you?
>
> Speaking of future developments for Wicket 9, I've got (so far) a couple
> of nice-to-have:
>
> - Use Java modularization (project Jigsaw): we should work to fully
> embrace the new modularization framework. If I remember correctly Martin
> has done some work with automatic modules but I can't find the exact
> commit at the moment.
>
> - Dismiss utility classes Time and Duration: Wicket still heavily use a
> couple of classes from package org.apache.wicket.util.time: Time and
> Duration. These classes are virtually equivalent to java.time.Instant
> and java.time.Duration. I'm aware that this is not a trivial task and
> it's quite delicate, but I'd really like to not depend on custom code
> for tasks like time and dates that are well supported by Java. For those
> who are interested I've started to make some experiment with this task
> and the results are very encouraging as most of the changes are in-place
> replacements of the old classes with the standard entities. You can find
> the code here: https://github.com/bitstorm/wicket/tree/remove-time-utils
>
> That's all, let me know what do you think!

Re: Future releases and random thoughts

Andrea Del Bene-3
Ok, I will release 8.3.0 and 7.11.0 as this seems to be the most popular
option.

Thank you!

On 21/01/19 09:24, Martin Grigorov wrote:

> [...]
>

>> - Dismiss utility classes Time and Duration: Wicket still heavily use a
>> couple of classes from package org.apache.wicket.util.time: Time and
>> Duration. These classes are virtually equivalent to java.time.Instant
>> and java.time.Duration. I'm aware that this is not a trivial task and
>> it's quite delicate, but I'd really like to not depend on custom code
>> for tasks like time and dates that are well supported by Java. For those
>> who are interested I've started to make some experiment with this task
>> and the results are very encouraging as most of the changes are in-place
>> replacements of the old classes with the standard entities. You can find
>> the code here: https://github.com/bitstorm/wicket/tree/remove-time-utils
>
> +1 if the migratiin is easy
> The Wicket classes should stay as deprecated for the lifetime of 9.x though
>

>> That's all, let me know what do you think!

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 10:24 AM Martin Grigorov <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 9:49 PM Andrea Del Bene <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think it's time to share some ideas about future releases and
>> developments. Here we go:
>>
>> - Wicket 8 and 7:  I see we have a decent amount of changes targeted for
>> 8.3
>>

> +1 to release 8.3.0
>

>> (
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310561&version=12344559).
>>
>> This is not the case for version 7.x, which doesn't have yet many issues
>> solved for the next version 7.11.0
>> (
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310561&version=12344758).
>>
>> Should we consider to release 8.3 and 7.11.0 or do you think we'd better
>> wait for the 7.x version to reach a "critical mass" of changes?
>>

> +1 to release 7.11.0 because of the update of commons-fileupload to 1.4
>

>> - Wicket 9: after we close "Wicket-6563 page store implementation"
>> (https://github.com/apache/wicket/pull/283) I think we could consider to
>> release the first milestone for Wicket 9. Sounds good to you?
>>

> +1
>

>> Speaking of future developments for Wicket 9, I've got (so far) a couple
>> of nice-to-have:
>>
>> - Use Java modularization (project Jigsaw): we should work to fully
>> embrace the new modularization framework. If I remember correctly Martin
>> has done some work with automatic modules but I can't find the exact
>> commit at the moment.
>>

> I cannot find it either! Somehow it got lost!
> http://branchandbound.net/blog/java/2017/12/automatic-module-name/ - this
> article explains the required changes.

Re-added it!

> But apart from this minimal change I am not sure we should go fully Jigsaw.
> Many libraries still do not support Java 9 modules -
> https://blog.frankel.ch/hard-look-state-java-modularization/
> Servlet specification is not updated to make use of Jigsaw and the web
> containers do not make use of it.
>

>> - Dismiss utility classes Time and Duration: Wicket still heavily use a
>> couple of classes from package org.apache.wicket.util.time: Time and
>> Duration. These classes are virtually equivalent to java.time.Instant
>> and java.time.Duration. I'm aware that this is not a trivial task and
>> it's quite delicate, but I'd really like to not depend on custom code
>> for tasks like time and dates that are well supported by Java. For those
>> who are interested I've started to make some experiment with this task
>> and the results are very encouraging as most of the changes are in-place
>> replacements of the old classes with the standard entities. You can find
>> the code here: https://github.com/bitstorm/wicket/tree/remove-time-utils
>

> +1 if the migratiin is easy
> The Wicket classes should stay as deprecated for the lifetime of 9.x though
>

>> That's all, let me know what do you think!

Re: Future releases and random thoughts

Andrea Del Bene-3
Thanks!