How to include *.htc files in css files?

How to include *.htc files in css files?

Zágoni Elemér
Hi,

I'm new to Wicket (using Wicket ver. 1.2.4).

I tried to include an htc file (Internet Explorer behavior file) in a css (to fix incorrect png handling in IE).
I did it like below:

 *img, div {behavior:url(../htc/iepngfix.htc)}

the browser cannot find the referenced htc file. The strange thing is that I refer to various images (in the same css) the same way, I mean: background-image:url(../img/background.png), and the images are found.

Could anyone tell me why the above technique did not work for *.htc files?

Thanx in advance.

Re: How to include *.htc files in css files?

Igor Vaynberg-2
that is very interesting, can you reproduce that in a quickstart?

also for explorer png fix we have a packaged solution but right now it is only in trunk

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/wicket/trunk/wicket-extensions/src/main/java/wicket/extensions/explorerpngfix/

-igor

On 2/16/07, Zágoni Elemér <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to Wicket (using Wicket ver. 1.2.4).

I tried to include an htc file (Internet Explorer behavior file) in a css
(to fix incorrect png handling in IE).
I did it like below:

*img, div {behavior:url(../htc/iepngfix.htc)}

the browser cannot find the referenced htc file. The strange thing is that I
refer to various images (in the same css) the same way, I mean:
background-image:url(../img/background.png), and the images are found.

Could anyone tell me why the above technique did not work for *.htc files?

Thanx in advance.

Re: How to include *.htc files in css files?

Jonathan Sharp-2
On 2/16/07, Zágoni Elemér <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to Wicket (using Wicket ver. 1.2.4).

I tried to include an htc file (Internet Explorer behavior file) in a css
(to fix incorrect png handling in IE).
I did it like below:

*img, div {behavior:url(../htc/iepngfix.htc)}

the browser cannot find the referenced htc file. The strange thing is that I
refer to various images (in the same css) the same way, I mean:
background-image:url(../img/background.png), and the images are found.

Could anyone tell me why the above technique did not work for *.htc files?

Are you sure .htc files are being copied/included in your build process?

-js

Re: How to include *.htc files in css files?

Eelco Hillenius

> > Could anyone tell me why the above technique did not work for *.htc files?
>

> Are you sure .htc files are being copied/included in your build process?

Yeah, it could be that those files aren't copied.

Also, what does you log say... Wicket logs a warning when it can't
serve a package resource properly. And the ultimate test is to set a
breakpoint in WicketServlet/Filter#get and see what kind of requests
are made.

Eelco

Re: How to include *.htc files in css files?

Frank Bille-3
I have got it to work on my local installation. You need to put the .htc and blank.gif in you root webapp folder.

There seems to be a "problem" with the way that IE handles urls for behaviours. I serve my css as a resource in wicket, which means that the url is something like:

http://localhost:8080/resources/dk.frankbille.teachus.frontend.pages.BasePage/resources/main.css

If I put iepngfix.htc and blank.gif in the same folder (dk.frankbille.teachus.frontend.pages.BasePage/resources), then IE doesn't load it. It seems that IE thinks that url(iepngfix.htc) means url(/iepngfix.htc) even if you try to say url(./iepngfix.htc).

So bottom line (for now) is:

put iepngfix.htc and blank.gif in your webapp root.

Frank

P.s. Another solution could be to try writing the absolute URL for iepngfix.htc in the css/style and see if that works. Haven't tried it yet.

On 2/16/07, Zágoni Elemér <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to Wicket (using Wicket ver. 1.2.4).

I tried to include an htc file (Internet Explorer behavior file) in a css
(to fix incorrect png handling in IE).
I did it like below:

*img, div {behavior:url(../htc/iepngfix.htc)}

the browser cannot find the referenced htc file. The strange thing is that I
refer to various images (in the same css) the same way, I mean:
background-image:url(../img/background.png), and the images are found.

Could anyone tell me why the above technique did not work for *.htc files?

Thanx in advance.

Re: How to include *.htc files in css files?

Eelco Hillenius
For which version did you test that Frank? Does Al's relative URL fix help here?

Eelco

On 2/18/07, Frank Bille <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have got it to work on my local installation. You need to put the .htc and
> blank.gif in you root webapp folder.
>
> There seems to be a "problem" with the way that IE handles urls for
> behaviours. I serve my css as a resource in wicket, which means that the url
> is something like:
>
> http://localhost:8080/resources/dk.frankbille.teachus.frontend.pages.BasePage/resources/main.css
>
>  If I put iepngfix.htc and blank.gif in the same folder
> (dk.frankbille.teachus.frontend.pages.BasePage/resources),
> then IE doesn't load it. It seems that IE thinks that url(iepngfix.htc)
> means url(/iepngfix.htc) even if you try to say url(./iepngfix.htc).
>
> So bottom line (for now) is:
>
> put iepngfix.htc and blank.gif in your webapp root.
>
> Frank
>
> P.s. Another solution could be to try writing the absolute URL for
> iepngfix.htc in the css/style and see if that works. Haven't tried it yet.
>

> On 2/16/07, Zágoni Elemér <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to Wicket (using Wicket ver. 1.2.4).
> >
> > I tried to include an htc file (Internet Explorer behavior file) in a css
> > (to fix incorrect png handling in IE).
> > I did it like below:
> >
> > *img, div {behavior:url(../htc/iepngfix.htc)}
> >
> > the browser cannot find the referenced htc file. The strange thing is that
> > refer to various images (in the same css) the same way, I mean:
> > background-image:url(../img/background.png), and the
> images are found.
> >
> > Could anyone tell me why the above technique did not work for *.htc files?
> >
> > Thanx in advance.

Re: How to include *.htc files in css files?

Frank Bille-3
Oh yeah that was 1.3. So sorry no luck. It has nothing to do with how wicket handles urls, but how IE interprets url() for behavior.

Frank

On 2/18/07, Eelco Hillenius <[hidden email]> wrote:
For which version did you test that Frank? Does Al's relative URL fix help here?

Eelco

On 2/18/07, Frank Bille <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have got it to work on my local installation. You need to put the .htc and
> blank.gif in you root webapp folder.
>
> There seems to be a "problem" with the way that IE handles urls for
> behaviours. I serve my css as a resource in wicket, which means that the url
> is something like:
>
> http://localhost:8080/resources/dk.frankbille.teachus.frontend.pages.BasePage/resources/main.css
>
>  If I put iepngfix.htc and blank.gif in the same folder
> (dk.frankbille.teachus.frontend.pages.BasePage/resources),
> then IE doesn't load it. It seems that IE thinks that url(iepngfix.htc )
> means url(/iepngfix.htc) even if you try to say url(./iepngfix.htc).
>
> So bottom line (for now) is:
>
> put iepngfix.htc and blank.gif in your webapp root.
>
> Frank
>
> P.s. Another solution could be to try writing the absolute URL for
> iepngfix.htc in the css/style and see if that works. Haven't tried it yet.
>

> On 2/16/07, Zágoni Elemér < [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to Wicket (using Wicket ver. 1.2.4).
> >
> > I tried to include an htc file (Internet Explorer behavior file) in a css
> > (to fix incorrect png handling in IE).
> > I did it like below:
> >
> > *img, div {behavior:url(../htc/iepngfix.htc)}
> >
> > the browser cannot find the referenced htc file. The strange thing is that
> > refer to various images (in the same css) the same way, I mean:
> > background-image:url(../img/background.png), and the
> images are found.
> >
> > Could anyone tell me why the above technique did not work for *.htc files?
> >
> > Thanx in advance.

Re: How to include *.htc files in css files?

Eelco Hillenius
Any ideas on how this might be fixed (accept for telling people not to
use a retarded browsers like IE)? Can we open an issue for it to track
it?

Eelco

On 2/18/07, Frank Bille <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oh yeah that was 1.3. So sorry no luck. It has nothing to do with how wicket
> handles urls, but how IE interprets url() for behavior.

Re: How to include *.htc files in css files?

Frank Bille-3
Let me investigate it a bit further when I'm near IE6 again. If nothing else works you have to make the URL absolute in the css. I'll create an issue to track it.

Frank

On 2/18/07, Eelco Hillenius <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any ideas on how this might be fixed (accept for telling people not to
use a retarded browsers like IE)? Can we open an issue for it to track
it?

Eelco

On 2/18/07, Frank Bille <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oh yeah that was 1.3. So sorry no luck. It has nothing to do with how wicket
> handles urls, but how IE interprets url() for behavior.

Re: How to include *.htc files in css files?

Alex Objelean-2
(LOL) Unfortunately more than 70% of users are using retarded browsers :)) (not like - it's IE!).

Alex.

<quote author='Eelco Hillenius'>

Eelco

Hi Igor, It's a good idea to include the InternetExplorer png fix as a Behavior in Wicket. But I would suggest to use the pngfix I attached, because this supports also background images (more frecvently used nowadays in pages than regular img) One drawback is that background-repeat and background-position cannot be honored by Microsoft's AlphaImage Loader in case of background images.IEPngFixBest.zip

Re: How to include *.htc files in css files?

Igor Vaynberg-2
// This is licensed under the CC-GNU LGPL, version 2.1 or later.
// For details, see: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/LGPL/2.1/

cant, its lgpl

-igor

On 2/19/07, Zágoni Elemér <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Igor, It's a good idea to include the InternetExplorer png fix as a Behavior in Wicket. But I would suggest to use the pngfix I attached, because this supports also background images (more frecvently used nowadays in pages than regular img) One drawback is that background-repeat and background-position cannot be honored by Microsoft's AlphaImage Loader in case of background images.<a href="http://www.nabble.com/file/6628/IEPngFixBest.zip" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> IEPngFixBest.zip

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&amp;p=sourceforge&amp;CID=DEVDEV" target="_blank"> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV

Re: How to include *.htc files in css files?

Frank Bille-3
Yes I noticed that so the only thing we can do is to create a wiki page about it. I'll do that if I find out something "useful".

Frank

// For details, see: <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/LGPL/2.1/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://creativecommons.org/licenses/LGPL/2.1/

[...]

rc.china
I have exactly the same problem and I am using wicket 1.2.6. I am certain that the htc file has been copied.

If I include "gif"/"css" files, it is OK. And by look in http message, it is as follows:
GET /mytest/nested/resources/wicket.examples.nested.MenuPanel/menupanel.css
GET /mytest/nested/resources/wicket.examples.nested.MenuPanel/dropmenu.gif

However, if I include "htc" file, it is wrong, And by look in http message, it is as follows:
GET /mytest/csshover.htc

It is very strange!

Eelco Hillenius wrote

> > Could anyone tell me why the above technique did not work for *.htc files?
>

> Are you sure .htc files are being copied/included in your build process?

Yeah, it could be that those files aren't copied.

Also, what does you log say... Wicket logs a warning when it can't
serve a package resource properly. And the ultimate test is to set a
breakpoint in WicketServlet/Filter#get and see what kind of requests
are made.

Eelco

Re: How to include *.htc files in css files?

rc.china
I have do some further tests. This is the content of my original CSS file:

body {background: #EEE; color: #000;
  behavior: url(csshover.htc);} /* WinIE behavior call */
ul.menu1 li.submenu li.submenu {background: url(submenu.gif) 95% 50% no-repeat;}

1)If I change like this (Just for test):

body {background: #EEE; color: #000;
  background: url(csshover.htc);} /* WinIE behavior call */
ul.menu1 li.submenu li.submenu {background: url(submenu.gif) 95% 50% no-repeat;}

Then I can see that the htc file is downloaded correctly:
GET /mytest/nested/resources/wicket.examples.nested.MenuPanel/csshover.htc

2)Or if I change like this (Just for test):
body {background: #EEE; color: #000;
  behavior: url(csshover.htc);} /* WinIE behavior call */
ul.menu1 li.submenu li.submenu {background: url(csshover.htc) 95% 50% no-repeat;}

Then I can also see that the htc file is downloaded corrently:
GET /mytest/nested/resources/wicket.examples.nested.MenuPanel/csshover.htc

So it seesm that only "background:url(...)" in CSS can be processed correctly while "behavior:url(...)" can not. Is this a bug in Wicket or IE ?

Re: How to include *.htc files in css files?

Matej Knopp-2
It's probably a bug (or intended behavior) if IE. Wicket can't really
control the http request the browser makes to get the .htc file.

-Matej

On 7/11/07, rc.china <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  I have do some further tests. This is the content of my original CSS file:
> body {background: #EEE; color: #000; behavior: url(csshover.htc);} /* WinIE
> behavior call */ ul.menu1 li.submenu li.submenu {background:
> url(submenu.gif) 95% 50% no-repeat;} 1)If I change like this (Just for
> test): body {background: #EEE; color: #000; background: url(csshover.htc);}
> /* WinIE behavior call */ ul.menu1 li.submenu li.submenu {background:
> url(submenu.gif) 95% 50% no-repeat;} Then I can see that the htc file is
> downloaded correctly: GET
> /mytest/nested/resources/wicket.examples.nested.MenuPanel/csshover.htc
> 2)Or if I change like this (Just for test): body {background: #EEE; color:
> #000; behavior: url(csshover.htc);} /* WinIE behavior call */ ul.menu1
> li.submenu li.submenu {background: url(csshover.htc) 95% 50% no-repeat;}
> Then I can also see that the htc file is downloaded corrently: GET
> /mytest/nested/resources/wicket.examples.nested.MenuPanel/csshover.htc
> So it seesm that only "background:url(...)" in CSS can be processed
> correctly while "behavior:url(...)" can not. Is this a bug in Wicket or IE ?

Re: How to include *.htc files in css files?

shivendu
DO try by keeping your .htc file directly where your index file is not within any folder. It will surely help.

Thanks
$h!vEnDu