Proposal: Moving wicketstuff.org Jenkins instance to a linux server (I volunteer to manage it)

Proposal: Moving wicketstuff.org Jenkins instance to a linux server (I volunteer to manage it)

Michael O'Cleirigh
Hello,

Jenkins currently runs at wicketstuff.org/hudson.  The wicketstuff.org
server is running FreeBSD which is not directly supported by Jenkins and
so upgrading and installing related tooling becomes a burden on the
server admins.

Recently there has been intermittent instability that causes jenkins to
become unavailable and prevents developers from being easily able to
generate and test new snapshot releases.

My proposal is that we take advantage of the Jenkins community support
for Linux that includes auto-installers and binary packages and switch
to running the wicketstuff.org Jenkins instance on a Linux box.

I am volunteering to host this on a VPS I have and to take care of the
server side admin.

If this is acceptable I would suggest moving jenkins from
wicketstuff.org/hudson to a DNS A name like ci.wicketstuff.org that
could point at my server.

Then depending on the load I might ask to have the wicketstuff.org
server setup as a slave to sometimes assist in building the projects but
not be the main access point for the developers.  Once this is setup I
would also be interested in letting others contribute slaves to help
with the build.

In the past when I noticed that the wicketstuff.org/hudson server was
down I  would setup a private Jenkins instance to take care of building
the SNAPSHOT's because I didn't want to run it in public with the same
anyone can signup privileges.

To get around this issue I have written a  Jenkins
authentication/authorization plugin that will restrict access to only
members of a named github organization (i.e. only github users that are
a member of the wicketstuff organization can access and invoke builds.

This will let us manage access entirely through Github.   The only
restriction on the plugin right now is that the users affiliation in the
team needs to be publicized.

Plugin Link: https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Github+OAuth+Plugin

I've published the 0.6 version of this plugin which now supports a post
commit hook from github to trigger builds (i.e. no more @hourly polling
is required).

The test instance is here: http://rivulet.ca:8080/  Anyone with commit
access in github  that is a public member of the any team in the
wicketstuff project can login and have the trigger build permission.

Regards,

Mike

Re: Proposal: Moving wicketstuff.org Jenkins instance to a linux server (I volunteer to manage it)

jeremy@wickettraining.com
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:53 PM, Michael O'Cleirigh <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Jenkins currently runs at wicketstuff.org/hudson.  The wicketstuff.orgserver is running FreeBSD which is not directly supported by Jenkins and so
> upgrading and installing related tooling becomes a burden on the server
> admins.
>
> Recently there has been intermittent instability that causes jenkins to
> become unavailable and prevents developers from being easily able to
> generate and test new snapshot releases.
>
> My proposal is that we take advantage of the Jenkins community support for
> Linux that includes auto-installers and binary packages and switch to
> running the wicketstuff.org Jenkins instance on a Linux box.
>
> I am volunteering to host this on a VPS I have and to take care of the
> server side admin.
>
> If this is acceptable I would suggest moving jenkins from
> wicketstuff.org/hudson to a DNS A name like ci.wicketstuff.org that could
> point at my server.
>
> Then depending on the load I might ask to have the wicketstuff.org server
> setup as a slave to sometimes assist in building the projects but not be the
> main access point for the developers.  Once this is setup I would also be
> interested in letting others contribute slaves to help with the build.
>
> In the past when I noticed that the wicketstuff.org/hudson server was down
> I  would setup a private Jenkins instance to take care of building the
> SNAPSHOT's because I didn't want to run it in public with the same anyone
> can signup privileges.
>
> To get around this issue I have written a  Jenkins
> authentication/authorization plugin that will restrict access to only
> members of a named github organization (i.e. only github users that are a
> member of the wicketstuff organization can access and invoke builds.
>
> This will let us manage access entirely through Github.   The only
> restriction on the plugin right now is that the users affiliation in the
> team needs to be publicized.
>
> Plugin Link: https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/**display/JENKINS/Github+OAuth+**
> Plugin <https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Github+OAuth+Plugin>
>
> I've published the 0.6 version of this plugin which now supports a post
> commit hook from github to trigger builds (i.e. no more @hourly polling is
> required).
>
> The test instance is here: http://rivulet.ca:8080/  Anyone with commit
> access in github  that is a public member of the any team in the wicketstuff
> project can login and have the trigger build permission.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike

I'm +1000 for letting you handle all this build stuff and host it on your
server.  Copying Johan directly because IIRC the server it is currently on
is his and I want to make sure he sees it.

Big hooray! for Mike and all his endless work on wicketstuff!!

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://wickettraining.com
*Need a CMS for Wicket?  Use Brix! http://brixcms.org*

Re: Proposal: Moving wicketstuff.org Jenkins instance to a linux server (I volunteer to manage it)

Igor Vaynberg-2
+1 to both Mike's proposal and Jeremy's reaction.

-igor

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 9:08 PM, Jeremy Thomerson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> required).
>>
>> The test instance is here: http://rivulet.ca:8080/  Anyone with commit
>> access in github  that is a public member of the any team in the wicketstuff
>> project can login and have the trigger build permission.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mike
>>

> I'm +1000 for letting you handle all this build stuff and host it on your
> server.  Copying Johan directly because IIRC the server it is currently on
> is his and I want to make sure he sees it.
>
> Big hooray! for Mike and all his endless work on wicketstuff!!
>
> --
> Jeremy Thomerson
> http://wickettraining.com
> *Need a CMS for Wicket?  Use Brix! http://brixcms.org*

Re: Proposal: Moving wicketstuff.org Jenkins instance to a linux server (I volunteer to manage it)

Bruno Borges
+1 mike!

excellent move

*Bruno Borges*
(21) 7672-7099
*www.brunoborges.com*

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Igor Vaynberg <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> The test instance is here: http://rivulet.ca:8080/  Anyone with commit
> >> access in github  that is a public member of the any team in the
> wicketstuff
> >> project can login and have the trigger build permission.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Mike
> >>

> > I'm +1000 for letting you handle all this build stuff and host it on your
> > server.  Copying Johan directly because IIRC the server it is currently
> on
> > is his and I want to make sure he sees it.
> >
> > Big hooray! for Mike and all his endless work on wicketstuff!!
> >
> > --
> > Jeremy Thomerson
> > http://wickettraining.com
> > *Need a CMS for Wicket?  Use Brix! http://brixcms.org*

Re: Proposal: Moving wicketstuff.org Jenkins instance to a linux server (I volunteer to manage it)

Attila Király
+1

Attila

On Oct 14, 2011 8:00 AM, "Bruno Borges" <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1 mike!

excellent move

*Bruno Borges*
(21) 7672-7099
*www.brunoborges.com*

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Igor Vaynberg <[hidden email]
>wrote:

> +1 to both Mike's proposal and Jeremy's reaction.
>
> -igor
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 9:08 PM, ...

Re: Proposal: Moving wicketstuff.org Jenkins instance to a linux server (I volunteer to manage it)

Johan Compagner
fine by me
i do monitor it now and then, problem if it doesn't run is mostly some
full disk problem that i then clean up

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 06:08, Jeremy Thomerson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> team needs to be publicized.
>>
>> Plugin Link:
>> https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Github+OAuth+Plugin
>>
>> I've published the 0.6 version of this plugin which now supports a post
>> commit hook from github to trigger builds (i.e. no more @hourly polling is
>> required).
>>
>> The test instance is here: http://rivulet.ca:8080/  Anyone with commit
>> access in github  that is a public member of the any team in the wicketstuff
>> project can login and have the trigger build permission.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mike
>
> I'm +1000 for letting you handle all this build stuff and host it on your
> server.  Copying Johan directly because IIRC the server it is currently on
> is his and I want to make sure he sees it.
> Big hooray! for Mike and all his endless work on wicketstuff!!

Wicket development possibilities

Marek Šabo
Hi ,

I thought the dev-list would be fine place to gather some ideas on this.

Currently I'm looking for topic for my master thesis (web & software
engineering). My bc thesis was large admin app based on wicket and now I
would like to go further and directly help/extend one of the projects I
really like.

I wold like to know if there is currently a hole, a space to be filled
in wicket realms. Recently I've been working with semantic web tools,
eg. some wicket extension for semantic web, linked data etc?

I'm just asking for ideas, currently I don't have concrete, solid vision
of what to do. I'm posting this to more projects I extensively worked
with to see their ideas so I could start working on something that would
add back to community.

The way I see it, lot of things can be defended as master thesis, I
would like to offer my time to work on something that can be useful, not
lie on academic shelves. I'm not asking for direct help, just for
pointing that way can be interesting, that way can be useful, that is
not good and needs rethinking....

I look forward to reading your opinions and sorry for someway off-topic
question.

Regards,

Marek

Re: Wicket development possibilities

Martin Grigorov-4
Hi Marek,

See my comments and ideas below.

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Marek Šabo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I thought the dev-list would be fine place to gather some ideas on this.
>
> Currently I'm looking for topic for my master thesis (web & software
> engineering). My bc thesis was large admin app based on wicket and now I
> would like to go further and directly help/extend one of the projects I
> really like.
>
> I wold like to know if there is currently a hole, a space to be filled in
> wicket realms. Recently I've been working with semantic web tools, eg. some
> wicket extension for semantic web, linked data etc?
I don't have any experience with semantic webs but if you decide to do
something in this direction I'll be glad to learn something new from
your thesis.

> I'm just asking for ideas, currently I don't have concrete, solid vision of
> what to do. I'm posting this to more projects I extensively worked with to
> see their ideas so I could start working on something that would add back to
> community.
>
> The way I see it, lot of things can be defended as master thesis, I would
> like to offer my time to work on something that can be useful, not lie on
> academic shelves. I'm not asking for direct help, just for pointing that way
> can be interesting, that way can be useful, that is not good and needs
> rethinking....
>
> I look forward to reading your opinions and sorry for someway off-topic
> question.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marek

We have a wish list page at our Wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/wicket-15-wish-list.html
Some of the items are already implemented either in Wicket core or in
WicketStuff project, other are considered as not that useful and wont
be implemented at all. You can check them and see whether something
sounds interesting for you.

For near future (Wicket.next and/or Wicket.next+1) we plan to extend
our Ajax support.
At https://github.com/martin-g/wicket/tree/ajax-jquery I'm working on
new version of wicket-ajax.js which will be backed by JQuery. I need
to add a list of tasks what is done, should be done, etc.

Another bigger task is to re-work our Wicket Examples to be more like
a Showcase. Additionally we can make them plugable/extendable and for
example if wicketstuff examples and also in the classpath then the
final showcase will show all of them. This can be achieved with the
new features in Servlet3 (annotation based Filter, web-fragment.xml).

Another interesting task that is not scheduled is to investigate how
Wicket rendering can gain from JDK 7 Fork/Join or Scala 2.9 parallel
collections. To be able to do this first Wicket rendering should be
made plugable. For example with parallelized rendering see
https://github.com/spullara/mustache.java

Yet another useful feature is to extend the support of HTML5 in
Wicket. For example: add more form components, implement client side
validation with HTML5 form validator and Wicket's IValidator which is
also a Behavior, or think about how Wicket application can work
offline in a generic way.
See https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/tree/master/jdk-1.6-parent/wicket-html5-parent
for what we have so far.