Remove <wicket:enclosure> from the user guide ?

Remove <wicket:enclosure> from the user guide ?

At
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-6622?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=16748665#comment-16748665
a user suggests something that I like: to rework the documentation [1] to
use EnclosureContainer instead of <wicket:enclosure>.

if we want to keep some documentation about <wicket:enclosure> then it
should have a warning next to it saying that it doesn't work in some corner
cases.

WDYT ?

Martin

1.
https://ci.apache.org/projects/wicket/guide/8.x/single.html#_hiding_decorating_elements_with_the_wicket_enclosure_tag

Re: Remove <wicket:enclosure> from the user guide ?

Andrea Del Bene-3
+ 1 to rework the documentation. EnclosureContainer should be the
recommended way. I'm not sure if we should completely remove
<wicket:enclosure>,but we should definitely make clear that it is not
suited for all use cases.

On 22/01/19 13:36, Martin Grigorov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-6622?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=16748665#comment-16748665
> a user suggests something that I like: to rework the documentation [1] to
> use EnclosureContainer instead of <wicket:enclosure>.
>
> if we want to keep some documentation about <wicket:enclosure> then it
> should have a warning next to it saying that it doesn't work in some corner
> cases.
>
> WDYT ?
>
> Martin
>
> 1.
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/wicket/guide/8.x/single.html#_hiding_decorating_elements_with_the_wicket_enclosure_tag

Re: Remove <wicket:enclosure> from the user guide ?

Maxim Solodovnik
+1 to make it deprecated and correct the documentation
I'm also OK with removing it in 9.0.0, I believe there is enough time to
fix 9.0.0 applications :)

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 4:48 AM Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 to make it deprecated and correct the documentation
> I'm also OK with removing it in 9.0.0, I believe there is enough time to
> fix 9.0.0 applications :)

I'd rather not remove it in 9 (nor 10+). The solution to fix this in
applications is non-trivial, and removing the feature will break apps
considerably and silently.

Re: Remove <wicket:enclosure> from the user guide ?

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 11:52 AM Martijn Dashorst
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 4:48 AM Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1 to make it deprecated and correct the documentation
> > I'm also OK with removing it in 9.0.0, I believe there is enough time to
> > fix 9.0.0 applications :)
>
> I'd rather not remove it in 9 (nor 10+). The solution to fix this in
> applications is non-trivial, and removing the feature will break apps
> considerably and silently.

635 occurrences of <wicket:enclosure in two of our major projects (143 and 492)

Re: Remove <wicket:enclosure> from the user guide ?

Maxim Solodovnik
This is a lot ...
I face issues with enclosures so avoid using it in our project, so now
there are only 12.

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Remove <wicket:enclosure> from the user guide ?

Martin Grigorov-4
Yes, that's why I suggest to only update the guide to emphasize on
EnclosureContainer and to have a big red warning before the section for
<wicket:enclosure> saying "We do not accept bug reports for
<wicket:enclosure> so do not use it" or something like that :-)