Quantcast

What does Page Expired mean?

Edwin Ansicodd
I've extended org.apache.wicket.markup.html.WebPage and created a page that has a submit button to do a search.  After clicking the button, I get directed to a page with following message:

Page Expired
The page you requested has expired.

Return to home page

No error messages appear.   What does this mean?  The page has expired?  Is there something I am missing?

Re: What does Page Expired mean?

Edwin Ansicodd
I see in the Page maps documentation:

http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/page-maps.html

that Page Exoured will be shown if the id and version for a page doesn't exist.  But I can't see how the id and version of the page would not exist anymore.

Re: What does Page Expired mean?

Dave Schoorl
This normally happens when your HttpSession expires. I'm not sure what
could be the reason in your case.

Edwin Ansicodd wrote:
> I see in the Page maps documentation:
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/page-maps.html
>
> that Page Exoured will be shown if the id and version for a page doesn't
> exist.  But I can't see how the id and version of the page would not exist
> anymore.

Re: What does Page Expired mean?

Edwin Ansicodd
Can you suggest a way to debug this?  I am not showing anything in the logs or in the debugger.

Dave Schoorl wrote

Edwin Ansicodd wrote:
> I see in the Page maps documentation:
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/page-maps.html
>
> that Page Exoured will be shown if the id and version for a page doesn't
> exist.  But I can't see how the id and version of the page would not exist
> anymore.

Re: What does Page Expired mean?

Brill Pappin
They will not exist if the session has expired or if the page cache
has become inconsistent somehow.
Usually you'll get this is you wait on a page for a while, or are in
dev mode and change the code a lot.

- Brill

On 4-Mar-09, at 7:14 AM, Edwin Ansicodd wrote:

> I see in the Page maps documentation:
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/page-maps.html
>
> that Page Exoured will be shown if the id and version for a page
> doesn't
> exist.  But I can't see how the id and version of the page would not
> exist
> anymore.

Re: What does Page Expired mean?

In my experience the most often case is when I have a non-serializable
field in a page with Ajax components.

On the first Ajax interaction the serialization fails
(SerializableChecker logs its detailed exception) and on the next Ajax
request Wicket cannot find a page with the latest version and complains
with PageExpiredException.

So "page expiration" is not exactly "session expiration". Session
expiration is just one of the cases in which your page(s) is(are) lost.

El mié, 04-03-2009 a las 14:39 +0100, Dave Schoorl escribió:

> This normally happens when your HttpSession expires. I'm not sure what
> could be the reason in your case.
>

> Edwin Ansicodd wrote:
> > I see in the Page maps documentation:
> >
> > http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/page-maps.html
> >
> > that Page Exoured will be shown if the id and version for a page doesn't
> > exist.  But I can't see how the id and version of the page would not exist
> > anymore.

Re: What does Page Expired mean?

Brill Pappin
It's not an error or something to debug, which is why you are not
seeing anything in the log.
Session is a basic webapp (not just java webapp) concept, I recommend
reading up on it in the docs for your application server.

- Brill

On 4-Mar-09, at 10:05 AM, Edwin Ansicodd wrote:

> Can you suggest a way to debug this?  I am not showing anything in
> the logs
> or in the debugger.
>

> Dave Schoorl wrote:
>>
>> This normally happens when your HttpSession expires. I'm not sure
>> what
>> could be the reason in your case.
>>

>> Edwin Ansicodd wrote:
>>> I see in the Page maps documentation:
>>>
>>> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/page-maps.html
>>>
>>> that Page Exoured will be shown if the id and version for a page
>>> doesn't
>>> exist.  But I can't see how the id and version of the page would not
>>> exist
>>> anymore.

Re: What does Page Expired mean?

Edwin Ansicodd
Thank you for all the comments!

The Page Expired seemed to result because I had in my WebApplication:

mountBookmarkablePage("homepage", InitialPage.class);

But InitialPage extended a different base page as the search page I was using.  I changed InitialPage to use the same base page and then Page Expired no longer appeared.

Re: What does Page Expired mean?

Edwin Ansicodd
Actually, the page became invalid because I missed the closing tag for <wicket:link> in the html, only had <wicket:link> and not the </wicket:link>.

This caused:

ERROR org.apache.wicket.RequestCycle  - unexpected exception when handling
another exception: Expected close tag for <wicket:link>

which invalided the page.

So missing wicket end tags can also cause pages to become invalid.

Edwin Ansicodd wrote