Wicket 1.5 and Google Analytics

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wicket 1.5 and Google Analytics

Bruno Borges
With Wicket, versioned pages are being gattered as individual/different
pages at Google Analytics.

For example:

/app/Home has X pageviews
/app/Home?1= has Y pageviews
/app/Home?2= has Z pageviews

And so on.

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this, except by disabling page
versioning?

Thanks,

*Bruno Borges*
(21) 7672-7099
*www.brunoborges.com*
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wicket 1.5 and Google Analytics

Attila Király
If nothing else helps I think you can exclude query parameters in Google
Analytics:
http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?answer=55499
http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?answer=55461

Attila

2011/9/20 Bruno Borges <[hidden email]>

> With Wicket, versioned pages are being gattered as individual/different
> pages at Google Analytics.
>
> For example:
>
> /app/Home has X pageviews
> /app/Home?1= has Y pageviews
> /app/Home?2= has Z pageviews
>
> And so on.
>
> Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this, except by disabling page
> versioning?
>
> Thanks,
>
> *Bruno Borges*
> (21) 7672-7099
> *www.brunoborges.com*
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wicket 1.5 and Google Analytics

Don Ferguson
In reply to this post by Bruno Borges
Using the async analytics apis, you can pass a parameter to trackPageView, as in:

_gaq.push(['_trackPageview', 'Home']);

which gives you explicit control over the URL being tracked by analytics.

        -Don

On Sep 20, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Bruno Borges wrote:

> With Wicket, versioned pages are being gattered as individual/different
> pages at Google Analytics.
>
> For example:
>
> /app/Home has X pageviews
> /app/Home?1= has Y pageviews
> /app/Home?2= has Z pageviews
>
> And so on.
>
> Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this, except by disabling page
> versioning?
>
> Thanks,
>
> *Bruno Borges*
> (21) 7672-7099
> *www.brunoborges.com*

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wicket 1.5 and Google Analytics

Diego Fincatto-3
I agree with Bruno and there's more related problems, such the
redirecting it does: for SEO is a bad practice!
Google may even penalize our sites.

We have to think in a different way to retrieve the state of webpages.
Otherwise, the Wicket becomes unusable for most seriously site.


On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Don Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Using the async analytics apis, you can pass a parameter to trackPageView, as in:
>
> _gaq.push(['_trackPageview', 'Home']);
>
> which gives you explicit control over the URL being tracked by analytics.
>
>        -Don
>
> On Sep 20, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Bruno Borges wrote:
>
>> With Wicket, versioned pages are being gattered as individual/different
>> pages at Google Analytics.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> /app/Home has X pageviews
>> /app/Home?1= has Y pageviews
>> /app/Home?2= has Z pageviews
>>
>> And so on.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this, except by disabling page
>> versioning?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> *Bruno Borges*
>> (21) 7672-7099
>> *www.brunoborges.com*
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wicket 1.5 and Google Analytics

Martin Grigorov-4
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Diego Fincatto
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree with Bruno and there's more related problems, such the
> redirecting it does: for SEO is a bad practice!
> Google may even penalize our sites.
>
> We have to think in a different way to retrieve the state of webpages.
> Otherwise, the Wicket becomes unusable for most seriously site.

Try ONE_PASS_RENDER strategy.

>
>
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Don Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Using the async analytics apis, you can pass a parameter to trackPageView, as in:
>>
>> _gaq.push(['_trackPageview', 'Home']);
>>
>> which gives you explicit control over the URL being tracked by analytics.
>>
>>        -Don
>>
>> On Sep 20, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Bruno Borges wrote:
>>
>>> With Wicket, versioned pages are being gattered as individual/different
>>> pages at Google Analytics.
>>>
>>> For example:
>>>
>>> /app/Home has X pageviews
>>> /app/Home?1= has Y pageviews
>>> /app/Home?2= has Z pageviews
>>>
>>> And so on.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this, except by disabling page
>>> versioning?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> *Bruno Borges*
>>> (21) 7672-7099
>>> *www.brunoborges.com*
>>
>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>



--
Martin Grigorov
jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development
http://jWeekend.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Wicket 1.5 and Google Analytics

chrisco484
In reply to this post by Diego Fincatto-3
I agree, this could really screw with the SEO quality of Wicket sites. We're the process of porting our CMS to Wicket 1.5 but will have to hold off on final release until we've found a way to make it work like 1.4.x with the same URLs with no versioning (including the parameters arranged as /name1/value1/name2/value2 etc.,) otherwise the SEO weight assigned to all of these existing pages/URLs will be lost... unless I'm misunderstanding something.

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Diego Fincatto [mailto:[hidden email]]
>Sent: Wednesday, 21 September 2011 5:52 AM
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: Wicket 1.5 and Google Analytics
>
>I agree with Bruno and there's more related problems, such the
>redirecting it does: for SEO is a bad practice!
>Google may even penalize our sites.
>
>We have to think in a different way to retrieve the state of webpages.
>Otherwise, the Wicket becomes unusable for most seriously site.
>
>
>On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Don Ferguson <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> Using the async analytics apis, you can pass a parameter to
>trackPageView, as in:
>>
>> _gaq.push(['_trackPageview', 'Home']);
>>
>> which gives you explicit control over the URL being tracked by analytics.
>>
>>        -Don
>>
>> On Sep 20, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Bruno Borges wrote:
>>
>>> With Wicket, versioned pages are being gattered as individual/different
>>> pages at Google Analytics.
>>>
>>> For example:
>>>
>>> /app/Home has X pageviews
>>> /app/Home?1= has Y pageviews
>>> /app/Home?2= has Z pageviews
>>>
>>> And so on.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this, except by disabling page
>>> versioning?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> *Bruno Borges*
>>> (21) 7672-7099
>>> *www.brunoborges.com*
>>
>>
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]