Wicket HTML5 compliancy?

Rob Audenaerde-2
Hi all,

I'm trying to answer the question for one of our clients, that is, if the
application we made using Wicket is HTML5 compliant.

I have two questions:

1. Should Wicket adhere strictly to the standard?
2. What do you think would be a good approach for testing this?

Let me describe what I did so far:

I interpreted this question for myself as: is the HTML output of Wicket
valid HTML5?

I do this by validating the HTML ouput of some pages of the application
with the https://validator.w3.org/nu. I get a list of warnings, which might
be solved by how Wicket generates HTML and some that might be solved by how
we implemented some detail.

I also validated a wicket-examples page, I just took the first ajax-example:

https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fexamples8x.wicket.apache.org%2Fajax%2Fautocomplete

As you can see from opening this URL, there are some warnings and some
errors

I don't see any problem with the examples *working*, so browsers probably
don't care too much, and maybe this is a bit of a non-issue.

WDYT?

Kind regards,
Rob Audenaerde

Re: Wicket HTML5 compliancy?

Wicket's markup strategy is garbage in, garbage out. If you don't make
your components' and pages' markup HTML5 compliant, then Wicket can't
do anything about that.

It might be that 3rd party or components from Wicket core are not
HTML5 compliant. We gladly accept patches that fix HTML5 compliancy,
and won't mess up CSS styling for our thousands of users.

So a HTML 5 validator might complain that a <a> can't be in a <span>,
but if we 'fix' that by making the <span> into a <div>, to satisfy the
validator, we will break all CSS rules that assums <span><a>...

In short: in principle Wicket doesn't require, prescribe or prevent
HTML5 compliancy. It is what you make of it.

Also, we use(d) a HTML5 validator filter in our project that would
validate the markup sent to the browser on the server side. Due to the
rewrites of the HTML parser the project became stale, but I'd love to
see it updated and revitalized.

https://github.com/dashorst/wicket-stuff-markup-validator

Martijn