Wicket on Google App Engine

12

Wicket on Google App Engine

Daniel Watrous-2
Hi,

I've been working for a few days to get a wicket application going for
Google App Engine with mixed results. I hope these questions aren't
too noobie for this list?

There are a couple of really old articles which Google brings up first:
http://stronglytypedblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/wicket-on-google-app-engine.html
http://www.danwalmsley.com/2009/04/08/apache-wicket-on-google-app-engine-for-java/

I've also found this resource after digging through the wicket users
list, but I can't figure out how I'm supposed to use it:
https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/tree/master/jdk-1.6-parent/gae-initializer-parent

I'm using eclipse with the GAE plugin.

So far this is what I have accomplished.
1) the first link above provides a download demo as an eclipse
project. I can get this to run, but it's working with old versions
(wicket 1.3.5, appengine sdk 1.2.0). I haven't successfully updated.
2) I can create a new google app engine project in eclipse. It runs
fine and I can develop servlets.
3) I can user the maven build script from the quickstart to get a
functional wicket project.

I'm really struggling trying to figure out how to use the
gae-initializer or a base GAE project from eclipse and end up with a
functional wicket application...

I'm not sure what other information to include at this point. Please
share any pointers or links to other tutorials that might help me.

Daniel

Re: Wicket on Google App Engine

gae-initializer project provides
https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/blob/master/jdk-1.6-parent/gae-initializer-parent/gae-initializer/src/main/java/org/wicketstuff/gae/GaeInitializer.java
which is an implementation of org.apache.wicket.IInitializer and declares it in
https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/blob/master/jdk-1.6-parent/gae-initializer-parent/gae-initializer/src/main/resources/wicket.properties.
That means that when gae-initializer.jar is in the classpath Wicket
will use it to initialize the Application instance.
Check the source of GaeInitializer.jar to see what exactly it configures.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM, Daniel Watrous <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been working for a few days to get a wicket application going for
> Google App Engine with mixed results. I hope these questions aren't
> too noobie for this list?
>
> There are a couple of really old articles which Google brings up first:
> http://stronglytypedblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/wicket-on-google-app-engine.html
> http://www.danwalmsley.com/2009/04/08/apache-wicket-on-google-app-engine-for-java/
>
> I've also found this resource after digging through the wicket users
> list, but I can't figure out how I'm supposed to use it:
> https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/tree/master/jdk-1.6-parent/gae-initializer-parent
>
> I'm using eclipse with the GAE plugin.
>
> So far this is what I have accomplished.
> 1) the first link above provides a download demo as an eclipse
> project. I can get this to run, but it's working with old versions
> (wicket 1.3.5, appengine sdk 1.2.0). I haven't successfully updated.
> 2) I can create a new google app engine project in eclipse. It runs
> fine and I can develop servlets.
> 3) I can user the maven build script from the quickstart to get a
> functional wicket project.
>
> I'm really struggling trying to figure out how to use the
> gae-initializer or a base GAE project from eclipse and end up with a
> functional wicket application...
>
> I'm not sure what other information to include at this point. Please
> share any pointers or links to other tutorials that might help me.
>
> Daniel

Re: Wicket on Google App Engine

Daniel Watrous-2
How do I create the gae-initializer.jar?

I have run mvn compile and generated the class files. I can zip those
up, but I'm not sure if there should be a META-INF folder and what it
should have.

Daniel

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 12:21 AM, Martin Grigorov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> gae-initializer project provides
> https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/blob/master/jdk-1.6-parent/gae-initializer-parent/gae-initializer/src/main/java/org/wicketstuff/gae/GaeInitializer.java
> which is an implementation of org.apache.wicket.IInitializer and declares it in
> https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/blob/master/jdk-1.6-parent/gae-initializer-parent/gae-initializer/src/main/resources/wicket.properties.
> That means that when gae-initializer.jar is in the classpath Wicket
> will use it to initialize the Application instance.
> Check the source of GaeInitializer.jar to see what exactly it configures.
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM, Daniel Watrous <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been working for a few days to get a wicket application going for
>> Google App Engine with mixed results. I hope these questions aren't
>> too noobie for this list?
>>
>> There are a couple of really old articles which Google brings up first:
>> http://stronglytypedblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/wicket-on-google-app-engine.html
>> http://www.danwalmsley.com/2009/04/08/apache-wicket-on-google-app-engine-for-java/
>>
>> I've also found this resource after digging through the wicket users
>> list, but I can't figure out how I'm supposed to use it:
>> https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/tree/master/jdk-1.6-parent/gae-initializer-parent
>>
>> I'm using eclipse with the GAE plugin.
>>
>> So far this is what I have accomplished.
>> 1) the first link above provides a download demo as an eclipse
>> project. I can get this to run, but it's working with old versions
>> (wicket 1.3.5, appengine sdk 1.2.0). I haven't successfully updated.
>> 2) I can create a new google app engine project in eclipse. It runs
>> fine and I can develop servlets.
>> 3) I can user the maven build script from the quickstart to get a
>> functional wicket project.
>>
>> I'm really struggling trying to figure out how to use the
>> gae-initializer or a base GAE project from eclipse and end up with a
>> functional wicket application...
>>
>> I'm not sure what other information to include at this point. Please
>> share any pointers or links to other tutorials that might help me.
>>
>> Daniel

> Martin Grigorov
> jWeekend
> Training, Consulting, Development
> http://jWeekend.com

Re: Wicket on Google App Engine

Daniel Watrous-2
Also, where do I put the wicket.properties file, and do I need to
update any xml files to indicate that there is a wicket.properties
file

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Daniel Watrous
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do I create the gae-initializer.jar?
>
> I have run mvn compile and generated the class files. I can zip those
> up, but I'm not sure if there should be a META-INF folder and what it
> should have.
>
> Daniel
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 12:21 AM, Martin Grigorov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> gae-initializer project provides
>> https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/blob/master/jdk-1.6-parent/gae-initializer-parent/gae-initializer/src/main/java/org/wicketstuff/gae/GaeInitializer.java
>> which is an implementation of org.apache.wicket.IInitializer and declares it in
>> https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/blob/master/jdk-1.6-parent/gae-initializer-parent/gae-initializer/src/main/resources/wicket.properties.
>> That means that when gae-initializer.jar is in the classpath Wicket
>> will use it to initialize the Application instance.
>> Check the source of GaeInitializer.jar to see what exactly it configures.
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM, Daniel Watrous <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been working for a few days to get a wicket application going for
>>> Google App Engine with mixed results. I hope these questions aren't
>>> too noobie for this list?
>>>
>>> There are a couple of really old articles which Google brings up first:
>>> http://stronglytypedblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/wicket-on-google-app-engine.html
>>> http://www.danwalmsley.com/2009/04/08/apache-wicket-on-google-app-engine-for-java/
>>>
>>> I've also found this resource after digging through the wicket users
>>> list, but I can't figure out how I'm supposed to use it:
>>> https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/tree/master/jdk-1.6-parent/gae-initializer-parent
>>>
>>> I'm using eclipse with the GAE plugin.
>>>
>>> So far this is what I have accomplished.
>>> 1) the first link above provides a download demo as an eclipse
>>> project. I can get this to run, but it's working with old versions
>>> (wicket 1.3.5, appengine sdk 1.2.0). I haven't successfully updated.
>>> 2) I can create a new google app engine project in eclipse. It runs
>>> fine and I can develop servlets.
>>> 3) I can user the maven build script from the quickstart to get a
>>> functional wicket project.
>>>
>>> I'm really struggling trying to figure out how to use the
>>> gae-initializer or a base GAE project from eclipse and end up with a
>>> functional wicket application...
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what other information to include at this point. Please
>>> share any pointers or links to other tutorials that might help me.
>>>
>>> Daniel

>> Martin Grigorov
>> jWeekend
>> Training, Consulting, Development
>> http://jWeekend.com

Re: Wicket on Google App Engine

Sven Meier
Hi Daniel,

you just have to add the gae-initializer as a dependency to your project:

<dependency>
<groupId>org.wicketstuff</groupId>
<artifactId>wicketstuff-gae-initializer</artifactId>
<version>${wicket.version}</version>
</dependency>

That's all.
Sven

On 01/04/2012 07:35 PM, Daniel Watrous wrote:

> Also, where do I put the wicket.properties file, and do I need to
> update any xml files to indicate that there is a wicket.properties
> file
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Daniel Watrous
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> How do I create the gae-initializer.jar?
>>
>> I have run mvn compile and generated the class files. I can zip those
>> up, but I'm not sure if there should be a META-INF folder and what it
>> should have.
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 12:21 AM, Martin Grigorov<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> gae-initializer project provides
>>> https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/blob/master/jdk-1.6-parent/gae-initializer-parent/gae-initializer/src/main/java/org/wicketstuff/gae/GaeInitializer.java
>>> which is an implementation of org.apache.wicket.IInitializer and declares it in
>>> https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/blob/master/jdk-1.6-parent/gae-initializer-parent/gae-initializer/src/main/resources/wicket.properties.
>>> That means that when gae-initializer.jar is in the classpath Wicket
>>> will use it to initialize the Application instance.
>>> Check the source of GaeInitializer.jar to see what exactly it configures.

>>> --
>>> Martin Grigorov
>>> jWeekend
>>> Training, Consulting, Development
>>> http://jWeekend.com

Re: Wicket on Google App Engine

Daniel Watrous-2
Is that the same thing as adding the jar file to the build path in eclipse?

How do I build gae-initializer.jar? I tried running 'mvn jar', but it
gave an error about unknown lifecycle phase.

Daniel

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Sven Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> you just have to add the gae-initializer as a dependency to your project:
>
> <dependency>
> <groupId>org.wicketstuff</groupId>
> <artifactId>wicketstuff-gae-initializer</artifactId>
> <version>${wicket.version}</version>
> </dependency>
>
> That's all.
> Sven
>

> On 01/04/2012 07:35 PM, Daniel Watrous wrote:
>>
>> Also, where do I put the wicket.properties file, and do I need to
>> update any xml files to indicate that there is a wicket.properties
>> file
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Daniel Watrous
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> How do I create the gae-initializer.jar?
>>>
>>> I have run mvn compile and generated the class files. I can zip those
>>> up, but I'm not sure if there should be a META-INF folder and what it
>>> should have.
>>>
>>> Daniel

Re: Wicket on Google App Engine

Daniel Watrous-2
I'm slowly making progress.

I see now that what Sven replied with goes in the pom.xml.

What I'm not sure of is if I still need a jar file or the source as
part of my project. I have made the update to my pom.xml, and I'm now
getting this error when I attempt to run my application:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/wicket/pageStore/memory/IDataStoreEvictionStrategy
        at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructor(Unknown Source)
        at com.google.appengine.tools.development.agent.runtime.Runtime$2.run(Runtime.java:133)
        at com.google.appengine.tools.development.agent.runtime.Runtime$2.run(Runtime.java:131)
        at com.google.appengine.tools.development.agent.runtime.Runtime.newInstance(Runtime.java:130)
        at org.apache.wicket.util.lang.WicketObjects.newInstance(WicketObjects.java:377)
        at org.apache.wicket.Application.addInitializer(Application.java:577)
        at org.apache.wicket.Application.load(Application.java:615)
        at org.apache.wicket.Application.initializeComponents(Application.java:501)
        at org.apache.wicket.Application.initApplication(Application.java:808)
        at org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter.init(WicketFilter.java:346)
        at org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter.init(WicketFilter.java:286)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.FilterHolder.doStart(FilterHolder.java:97)
        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initialize(ServletHandler.java:662)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Context.startContext(Context.java:140)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1250)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:517)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:467)
        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:130)
        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:130)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:224)
        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
        at com.google.appengine.tools.development.JettyContainerService.startContainer(JettyContainerService.java:191)
        at com.google.appengine.tools.development.AbstractContainerService.startup(AbstractContainerService.java:239)
        at com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerImpl.start(DevAppServerImpl.java:146)
        at com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain$StartAction.apply(DevAppServerMain.java:164)
        at com.google.appengine.tools.util.Parser$ParseResult.applyArgs(Parser.java:48)
        at com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain.<init>(DevAppServerMain.java:113)
        at com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain.main(DevAppServerMain.java:89)
org.apache.wicket.pageStore.memory.IDataStoreEvictionStrategy
        at com.google.appengine.tools.development.IsolatedAppClassLoader.loadClass(IsolatedAppClassLoader.java:176)
        ... 35 more

Since gae-initializer did compile when I compiled with maven I also
tried simply putting the compile classes next to my other classes for
the deployment, but it still gives this error.

Thanks for all your help.

Daniel

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Daniel Watrous
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is that the same thing as adding the jar file to the build path in eclipse?
>
> How do I build gae-initializer.jar? I tried running 'mvn jar', but it
> gave an error about unknown lifecycle phase.
>
> Daniel
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Sven Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> you just have to add the gae-initializer as a dependency to your project:
>>
>> <dependency>
>> <groupId>org.wicketstuff</groupId>
>> <artifactId>wicketstuff-gae-initializer</artifactId>
>> <version>${wicket.version}</version>
>> </dependency>
>>
>> That's all.
>> Sven
>>

>> On 01/04/2012 07:35 PM, Daniel Watrous wrote:
>>>
>>> Also, where do I put the wicket.properties file, and do I need to
>>> update any xml files to indicate that there is a wicket.properties
>>> file

Re: Wicket on Google App Engine

Sven Meier
Hi,

make sure you have compatible versions for Wicket and gae-initializer,
i.e. they should be the same.

Sven

On 01/04/2012 08:49 PM, Daniel Watrous wrote:

> [...]
>
> Since gae-initializer did compile when I compiled with maven I also
> tried simply putting the compile classes next to my other classes for
> the deployment, but it still gives this error.
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> Daniel
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Daniel Watrous
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Is that the same thing as adding the jar file to the build path in eclipse?
>>
>> How do I build gae-initializer.jar? I tried running 'mvn jar', but it
>> gave an error about unknown lifecycle phase.
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Sven Meier<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi Daniel,
>>>
>>> you just have to add the gae-initializer as a dependency to your project:
>>>
>>> <dependency>
>>> <groupId>org.wicketstuff</groupId>
>>> <artifactId>wicketstuff-gae-initializer</artifactId>

I'm still not sure how to create the jar file. No one is commenting on
it so I feel a bit silly. Should it be obvious?

Am I supposed to include the source with my project or a jar. If a
jar, how should I build the jar?

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Sven Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>>        at
>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.IsolatedAppClassLoader.loadClass(IsolatedAppClassLoader.java:176)
>>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>>        ... 35 more
>>
>> Since gae-initializer did compile when I compiled with maven I also
>> tried simply putting the compile classes next to my other classes for
>> the deployment, but it still gives this error.
>>
>> Thanks for all your help.
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Daniel Watrous
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Is that the same thing as adding the jar file to the build path in
>>> eclipse?
>>>
>>> How do I build gae-initializer.jar? I tried running 'mvn jar', but it
>>> gave an error about unknown lifecycle phase.

With maven it's very easy, just add the dependency to your pom as
suggested and forget about it.

Alternatively you can download the jar form maven central manually and
add it to your project:

http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/wicketstuff/wicketstuff-gae-initializer/

Hope this helps
Sven

On 01/04/2012 09:28 PM, Daniel Watrous wrote:

> [...]
>>>         at
>>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain.main(DevAppServerMain.java:89)
>>> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
>>> org.apache.wicket.pageStore.memory.IDataStoreEvictionStrategy
>>>         at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
>>>         at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
>>>         at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
>>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>>>         at
>>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.IsolatedAppClassLoader.loadClass(IsolatedAppClassLoader.java:176)
>>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>>>         ... 35 more
>>>
>>> Since gae-initializer did compile when I compiled with maven I also
>>> tried simply putting the compile classes next to my other classes for
>>> the deployment, but it still gives this error.

Great. I now have it working with either the jar download or the
dependency in the pom.xml file. In the dependency xml snippet I didn't
realize that I needed to manually provide the version, but after I did
then it worked fine.

Whenever I update a class and save it in Eclipse, that class is
updated in the running server and I don't have to restart to see the
changes. This is great.

However, when I change an HTML page, it's not updated in the running
server, so I have to restart everything. I know that when I run a
quickstart app directly (using the Start class) that updates to the
HTML are updated without requiring a restart.

Do you know how to make it so the HTML files are updated in the live server?

Thanks so much.

Daniel

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Sven Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> With maven it's very easy, just add the dependency to your pom as suggested
> and forget about it.
>
> Alternatively you can download the jar form maven central manually and add
> it to your project:
>

>  http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/wicketstuff/wicketstuff-gae-initializer/
>
> Hope this helps
> Sven
>

> On 01/04/2012 09:28 PM, Daniel Watrous wrote:
>>
>> I'm still not sure how to create the jar file. No one is commenting on
>> it so I feel a bit silly. Should it be obvious?
>>
>> Am I supposed to include the source with my project or a jar. If a
>> jar, how should I build the jar?
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Sven Meier<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> make sure you have compatible versions for Wicket and gae-initializer,
>>> i.e.
>>> they should be the same.
>>>
>>> Sven

Re: Wicket on Google App Engine

Sven Meier
Read here:

     https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/faqs.html#FAQs-Deployment

The relevant setting is:
     getResourceSettings().setResourcePollFrequency(duration);

Sven

On 01/04/2012 10:31 PM, Daniel Watrous wrote:

> Great. I now have it working with either the jar download or the
> dependency in the pom.xml file. In the dependency xml snippet I didn't
> realize that I needed to manually provide the version, but after I did
> then it worked fine.
>
> Whenever I update a class and save it in Eclipse, that class is
> updated in the running server and I don't have to restart to see the
> changes. This is great.
>
> However, when I change an HTML page, it's not updated in the running
> server, so I have to restart everything. I know that when I run a
> quickstart app directly (using the Start class) that updates to the
> HTML are updated without requiring a restart.
>
> Do you know how to make it so the HTML files are updated in the live server?
>
> Thanks so much.
>
> Daniel
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Sven Meier<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> With maven it's very easy, just add the dependency to your pom as suggested
>> and forget about it.
>>
>> Alternatively you can download the jar form maven central manually and add
>> it to your project:
>>

>>   http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/wicketstuff/wicketstuff-gae-initializer/
>>
>> Hope this helps
>> Sven
>>

>> On 01/04/2012 09:28 PM, Daniel Watrous wrote:
>>> I'm still not sure how to create the jar file. No one is commenting on
>>> it so I feel a bit silly. Should it be obvious?
>>>
>>> Am I supposed to include the source with my project or a jar. If a
>>> jar, how should I build the jar?

Re: Wicket on Google App Engine

Daniel Watrous-2
I tried putting in this:
getResourceSettings().setResourcePollFrequency(Duration.ONE_SECOND);

But the resource still doesn't update without restarting the google
app engine environment. I just tried it by running Start and that no
longer updates automatically either.

In the process of trying to make it work with GAE, I changed the
pom.xml to have these lines in the build section
            <directory>src/main/webapp/WEB-INF</directory>
            <outputDirectory>src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/classes</outputDirectory>

That means files are no longer placed in the target directory, but in
the WEB-INF folder. Could this affect it? Have I missed another
setting somewhere that relates to changing where the compiled classes
are placed?

Daniel

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Sven Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Read here:
>
>    https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/faqs.html#FAQs-Deployment
>
> The relevant setting is:
>    getResourceSettings().setResourcePollFrequency(duration);
>
> Sven
>

> On 01/04/2012 10:31 PM, Daniel Watrous wrote:
>>
>> Great. I now have it working with either the jar download or the
>> dependency in the pom.xml file. In the dependency xml snippet I didn't
>> realize that I needed to manually provide the version, but after I did
>> then it worked fine.
>>
>> Whenever I update a class and save it in Eclipse, that class is
>> updated in the running server and I don't have to restart to see the
>> changes. This is great.
>>
>> However, when I change an HTML page, it's not updated in the running
>> server, so I have to restart everything. I know that when I run a
>> quickstart app directly (using the Start class) that updates to the
>> HTML are updated without requiring a restart.
>>
>> Do you know how to make it so the HTML files are updated in the live
>> server?
>>
>> Thanks so much.
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Sven Meier<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> With maven it's very easy, just add the dependency to your pom as
>>> suggested
>>> and forget about it.
>>>
>>> Alternatively you can download the jar form maven central manually and
>>> add
>>> it to your project:
>>>

>>>  http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/wicketstuff/wicketstuff-gae-initializer/
>>>
>>> Hope this helps
>>> Sven

Re: Wicket on Google App Engine

Hans Lesmeister 2
Hi Daniel,

Daniel Watrous-2 wrote
I tried putting in this:
getResourceSettings().setResourcePollFrequency(Duration.ONE_SECOND);
GAE does not allow you to start additional threads and that's what setResourcePollFrequency(...) does I think
Hans

http://cantaa.de

Re: Wicket on Google App Engine

Martin Grigorov-4
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Hans Lesmeister 2
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>

> Daniel Watrous-2 wrote
>>
>> I tried putting in this:
>> getResourceSettings().setResourcePollFrequency(Duration.ONE_SECOND);

True!
GAE Initializer actually disables the ModificationWatcher.

> GAE does not allow you to start additional threads and that's what
> setResourcePollFrequency(...) does I think
>
> -----
> --
> Regards,
> Hans
>
> http://cantaa.de

Re: Wicket on Google App Engine

Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro-5
You could use a modified version of resource watcher that does not use
threads and modify request cycle so that watcher is executed before each
request cycle. I remember there was some blog somewhere explaining this
technique... Maybe it was this...

http://stronglytypedblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/wicket-spring-jdo-on-google-app-engine.html

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Daniel Watrous <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> >>>>>>

> org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.development.JettyContainerService.startContainer(JettyContainerService.java:191)
> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.development.AbstractContainerService.startup(AbstractContainerService.java:239)
> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerImpl.start(DevAppServerImpl.java:146)
> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain$StartAction.apply(DevAppServerMain.java:164)
> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.util.Parser$ParseResult.applyArgs(Parser.java:48)
> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain.<init>(DevAppServerMain.java:113)
> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain.main(DevAppServerMain.java:89)
> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.development.IsolatedAppClassLoader.loadClass(IsolatedAppClassLoader.java:176)

Regards - Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro
http://jWeekend.com <http://jweekend.com/>

Re: Wicket on Google App Engine

Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro-5
I think the class to use is

http://code.google.com/p/kickat26/source/browse/trunk/src/de/kickat26/ui/wicket/GAEModificationWatcher.java

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >>>>>>

>> org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
>> >>>>>>

>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.JettyContainerService.startContainer(JettyContainerService.java:191)
>> >>>>>>

>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.AbstractContainerService.startup(AbstractContainerService.java:239)
>> >>>>>>

>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerImpl.start(DevAppServerImpl.java:146)
>> >>>>>>

>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain$StartAction.apply(DevAppServerMain.java:164)
>> >>>>>>

>> com.google.appengine.tools.util.Parser$ParseResult.applyArgs(Parser.java:48)
>> >>>>>>

>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain.<init>(DevAppServerMain.java:113)
>> >>>>>>

>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain.main(DevAppServerMain.java:89)
>> Method)
>> >>>>>>

>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.IsolatedAppClassLoader.loadClass(IsolatedAppClassLoader.java:176)

Thanks for all your help. I've just posted the steps required to get
current versions of wicket and gae to work together.

http://software.danielwatrous.com/software-engineering/wordpress-plugin-licensing-wicket-on-google-app-engine

Daniel

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> >>>>>>

>>> org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
>>> >>>>>>

>>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.JettyContainerService.startContainer(JettyContainerService.java:191)
>>> >>>>>>

>>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.AbstractContainerService.startup(AbstractContainerService.java:239)
>>> >>>>>>

>>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerImpl.start(DevAppServerImpl.java:146)
>>> >>>>>>

>>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain$StartAction.apply(DevAppServerMain.java:164)
>>> >>>>>>

>>> com.google.appengine.tools.util.Parser$ParseResult.applyArgs(Parser.java:48)
>>> >>>>>>

>>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain.<init>(DevAppServerMain.java:113)
>>> >>>>>>

>>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain.main(DevAppServerMain.java:89)
>>> Method)
>>> >>>>>>

>>> com.google.appengine.tools.development.IsolatedAppClassLoader.loadClass(IsolatedAppClassLoader.java:176)

Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro-4
Thanks for sharing!

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Daniel Watrous <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> >>> >>>>>>

> org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
> >>> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.development.JettyContainerService.startContainer(JettyContainerService.java:191)
> >>> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.development.AbstractContainerService.startup(AbstractContainerService.java:239)
> >>> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerImpl.start(DevAppServerImpl.java:146)
> >>> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain$StartAction.apply(DevAppServerMain.java:164)
> >>> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.util.Parser$ParseResult.applyArgs(Parser.java:48)
> >>> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain.<init>(DevAppServerMain.java:113)
> >>> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain.main(DevAppServerMain.java:89)
> >>> >>>>>>

> com.google.appengine.tools.development.IsolatedAppClassLoader.loadClass(IsolatedAppClassLoader.java:176)

Hielke Hoeve-2
Hey Daniel,

Glad to hear you got it working as well. I have some apps on google app engine  as well. Tried all the tutorials and 'useful' maven plugins but all just didn't do the trick for me.  I now use maven's resources plugin to copy the resources from the maven repository to the war/lib folder. Which allows me to update/add dependencies in the pom.xml, run maven and add the dependencies in eclipse manually.

I have not found a maven plugin which just adds the google sdk as dependency for me so I don't have to mess around in eclipse everytime I run maven. Did you solve that?

Hielke