Wicket site on Android phone

chrisco484
I've just picked up a new Android phone (HTC Desire - awesome phone BTW)
and most of our wicket powered site works well. There are two issues
which maybe just me not knowing how to use the phone properly or they
may be issues with the Webkit based browser on those things:
1. I haven't been able to grab the caption on modal windows in
order to drag them around on the screen. Being a 'touch' based paradigm
maybe there is no such thing as a 'grab'.
2. Clicking the OK button on a modal window doesn't seem to have
any effect - the modal stays open.
I have only had the phone for a couple of days so the issues could be
all me - not knowing how to perform the above operations - if anyone has
some enlightenment, please let me know.

Re: Wicket site on Android phone

Martin Grigorov-4
I guess it is some WebKit related Javascript issues.
Don't know how hard is to debug them but if you manage - send us a patch ;-)

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Chris Colman
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> I've just picked up a new Android phone (HTC Desire - awesome phone BTW)
> and most of our wicket powered site works well. There are two issues
> which maybe just me not knowing how to use the phone properly or they
> may be issues with the Webkit based browser on those things:
> 1.      I haven't been able to grab the caption on modal windows in
> order to drag them around on the screen. Being a 'touch' based paradigm
> maybe there is no such thing as a 'grab'.
> 2.      Clicking the OK button on a modal window doesn't seem to have
> any effect - the modal stays open.
> I have only had the phone for a couple of days so the issues could be
> all me - not knowing how to perform the above operations - if anyone has
> some enlightenment, please let me know.

RE: Wicket site on Android phone

chrisco484
The Android market is going through spectacular growth at the moment.
It's going bezerk!

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/10/05/the-rise-of-android-what-does-it-
mean-for-apple-users/

The fact that it supports Flash and that its apps are written in Java
instead of Objective C like the iPhone (last I heard of that language
was in 1989!) made it extremely attractive to me but even without
writing specific Android apps the fact that it has a proper browser
means that wicket powered sites around the world will start to get
visited, a lot, by yet another browser type. They've also found that
Andtroid users, on average, pull down 25% more data per month on their
iPhone cousins - apparently they're a lot more tech savvy crowd - less
'Angry Birds' and more ServerSide etc.,

Coming from Java world my knowledge of JavaScript is very limited so I
don't know how helpful I'll be in debugging the Javascript as executed
on a Webkit/Android browser.

If anyone else out there has a wicket website and an Android phone I'd
like to know if you experience some of the problem I did. It only
appears to affect JavaScript - standard HTML form submission seems fine
- as expected.

- Chris

Randy S.
A big advantage of the iphone browser is its ability to scroll an inner
scrolling box (scrollable div or iframe, for example). It does this by
handling a two-finger drag as scroll. I'm not aware of a way to do the same
with the android browser.

We also are facing demand for a "desktop" web app to be used on android so
we are considering in some cases simplifying the UI to accommodate this. One
example is bouncing to a different page rather than using a modal dialog for
some interactions.

Back on topic for Wicket, scrolling is the only barrier we have seen.
Everything else works. For what it's worth, a lot of our ajax stuff is
wiquery-based.
On Oct 8, 2010 3:58 AM, "Chris Colman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Android market is going through spectacular growth at the moment.
> It's going bezerk!
>
> http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/10/05/the-rise-of-android-what-does-it-
> mean-for-apple-users/
>
> The fact that it supports Flash and that its apps are written in Java
> instead of Objective C like the iPhone (last I heard of that language
> was in 1989!) made it extremely attractive to me but even without
> writing specific Android apps the fact that it has a proper browser
> means that wicket powered sites around the world will start to get
> visited, a lot, by yet another browser type. They've also found that
> Andtroid users, on average, pull down 25% more data per month on their
> iPhone cousins - apparently they're a lot more tech savvy crowd - less
> 'Angry Birds' and more ServerSide etc.,
>
> Coming from Java world my knowledge of JavaScript is very limited so I
> don't know how helpful I'll be in debugging the Javascript as executed
> on a Webkit/Android browser.
>
> If anyone else out there has a wicket website and an Android phone I'd
> like to know if you experience some of the problem I did. It only
> appears to affect JavaScript - standard HTML form submission seems fine
> - as expected.
>
> - Chris

tickyluet
This post was updated on .
I have an experience to share with you guys. Once I was in a remote place, my signal in my phone got jammed, i thought the problem would be with my service provider. After coming back home i gave black and blues to my customer care highlighting my issue. They pleaded me saying that the problem is not with them. Then i browsed through the search engine regarding my issue, i got a remedy for my cell phone, there i came to know the problem called remote jamming that is experienced in most cell phones. They have a product called cell phone jammer could be very useful to get rid of these problems. Check out the details here cell phone jammer and hope this information would be beneficial. Hope that u would pass this information to all your friends, so that they too would benefited, Stay safe, Cheers

Re: Wicket site on Android phone

dpmihai
I also tried to make a desktop Wicket application to look good on Android phone.

1. Depending on application there is a big possibility to not be able to show all the information. For me, it was ok to use css media query to have a different css for Android phone. I had to tweak with fonts size and hide some markups.

2. Modal Windows are a big pain for me. I had to make them show near the top with fixed position like:

.wicket-modal {
        position: fixed !important;
        top:5% !important;
}

Without this, on Webkit browser if you scroll down to click some link which opens a modal, you even won't be able to see the modal (depends on how much scrolling you need).

I cannot drag a modal on screen (neither in Webkit browser nor in Chrome). Only the background is dragged.

So I guess, if you can avoid modals, then do it. If you cannot avoid them, then keep them as small as possible.

Re: Wicket site on Android phone

dpmihai
I also recently find that I need to tweak Wicket Palette component look, because on Android a multiple select will not show all the options. You have to click it for selection and after that you can see only the first selected item no matter how big is the height for select markup. I have written more about it here.

Re: Wicket site on Android phone

GroverPenman
This post was updated on .
As you know that the mobile phone signal jammer can cut off the signals of the mobile phones and soon make it impossible to make phone calls or send messages. In this way when you need the peaceful condition and want to stay in it, you can just use the best phone jammer to help you achieve your goal. And now as the technology develops with high speed the advanced 4G jammer has come into the market and are well welcomed by the group of people who need the jammer product.

Re: Wicket site on Android phone

HeathHackbarth
This post was updated on .
As you know that the mobile phone signal jammer can cut off the signals of the mobile phones and soon make it impossible to make phone calls or send messages. In this way when you need the peaceful condition and want to stay in it, you can just use the best mobile phone jammer to help you achieve your goal. And now as the technology develops with high speed the advanced cell phone and wifi jammer has come into the market and are well welcomed by the group of people who need the jammer product.

Re: Wicket site on Android phone

ArlieDoxey
This post was updated on .
As you know that the mobile phone signal jammer can cut off the signals of the mobile phones and soon make it impossible to make phone calls or send messages. In this way when you need the peaceful condition and want to stay in it, you can just use the best mobile phone jammer to help you achieve your goal. And now as the technology develops with high speed the advanced WiFi & Bluetooth Signal Jammer has come into the market and are well welcomed by the group of people who need the jammer product.