Wicket site with adblocker @ MS Edge

Vit Rozkovec-3
HI,

please see this screenshot:
https://screenshots.firefox.com/v4PQv7WIKAv1TiUA/null

This is how is the site visible when you browse it with adblock that
blocks also some fonts.

Discovered when one my colleague who is learning Wicket and uses Windows
wanted to show it to someone else, not a very good first impression :)

I think it would be good to have a default that displays ok even when
fonts are blocked, what do you think?

Have a nice day
Vit

Re: Wicket site with adblocker @ MS Edge

Well, we did everything well: the fonts are hosted at Apache, not
loaded from external site that tracks their usage (looking at you
fonts.google.com), the SVG even embeds the font file in a data uri. If
the adblocker then still blocks the font, what can we do? Introduce a
4MB PNG file? Or should the adblocker at least honor same domain
requests for resources and not block data URI's?

The font face used for the logo is narrow and there are no web-safe
fonts that render correctly in this instance: I've tried with Arial
Narrow and sans-serif as a fallback: the logo still looks badly
broken.

AFAIK we can't detect whether someone uses an adblocker that
specifically blocks web fonts, serve them the 8GB binary images, and
serve the rest of the world the 80kb SVG file.

I understand the need for an adblocker, but when you use one (wrongly)
you are responsible for when shit breaks.

Martijn

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 9:46 AM Vit Rozkovec <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI,
>
> please see this screenshot:
> https://screenshots.firefox.com/v4PQv7WIKAv1TiUA/null
>
> This is how is the site visible when you browse it with adblock that
> blocks also some fonts.
>
> Discovered when one my colleague who is learning Wicket and uses Windows
> wanted to show it to someone else, not a very good first impression :)
>
> I think it would be good to have a default that displays ok even when
> fonts are blocked, what do you think?
>
> Have a nice day
> Vit

Re: Wicket site with adblocker @ MS Edge

Andrea Del Bene-3
I've checked uBlock with Firefox and AdBlocker with Chrome, both with
default configs, and I see no problem. Obviously IE/Edge always behaves in
its own, peculiar way :-).

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 11:12 AM Martijn Dashorst <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, we did everything well: the fonts are hosted at Apache, not
> loaded from external site that tracks their usage (looking at you
> fonts.google.com), the SVG even embeds the font file in a data uri. If
> the adblocker then still blocks the font, what can we do? Introduce a
> 4MB PNG file? Or should the adblocker at least honor same domain
> requests for resources and not block data URI's?
>
> The font face used for the logo is narrow and there are no web-safe
> fonts that render correctly in this instance: I've tried with Arial
> Narrow and sans-serif as a fallback: the logo still looks badly
> broken.
>
> AFAIK we can't detect whether someone uses an adblocker that
> specifically blocks web fonts, serve them the 8GB binary images, and
> serve the rest of the world the 80kb SVG file.
>
> I understand the need for an adblocker, but when you use one (wrongly)
> you are responsible for when shit breaks.
>
> Martijn
>

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 9:46 AM Vit Rozkovec <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > HI,
> >
> > please see this screenshot:
> > https://screenshots.firefox.com/v4PQv7WIKAv1TiUA/null
> >
> > This is how is the site visible when you browse it with adblock that
> > blocks also some fonts.
> >
> > Discovered when one my colleague who is learning Wicket and uses Windows
> > wanted to show it to someone else, not a very good first impression :)
> >
> > I think it would be good to have a default that displays ok even when
> > fonts are blocked, what do you think?
> >
> > Have a nice day
> > Vit

Andrea Del Bene.
Apache Wicket committer.

Re: Wicket site with adblocker @ MS Edge

Maxim Solodovnik
Maybe something like this

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1271477/changing-body-font-size-based-on-font-family-with-jquery

can be used?

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Wicket site with adblocker @ MS Edge

My guess is that if a web font from same origin is blocked, JavaScript
will fail as well.

Martijn

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:25 PM Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe something like this
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1271477/changing-body-font-size-based-on-font-family-with-jquery
>
> can be used?
>
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 17:27, Andrea Del Bene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I've checked uBlock with Firefox and AdBlocker with Chrome, both with
> > default configs, and I see no problem. Obviously IE/Edge always behaves in
> > its own, peculiar way :-).
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 11:12 AM Martijn Dashorst <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Well, we did everything well: the fonts are hosted at Apache, not
> > > loaded from external site that tracks their usage (looking at you
> > > fonts.google.com), the SVG even embeds the font file in a data uri. If
> > > the adblocker then still blocks the font, what can we do? Introduce a
> > > 4MB PNG file? Or should the adblocker at least honor same domain
> > > requests for resources and not block data URI's?
> > >
> > > The font face used for the logo is narrow and there are no web-safe
> > > fonts that render correctly in this instance: I've tried with Arial
> > > Narrow and sans-serif as a fallback: the logo still looks badly
> > > broken.
> > >
> > > AFAIK we can't detect whether someone uses an adblocker that
> > > specifically blocks web fonts, serve them the 8GB binary images, and
> > > serve the rest of the world the 80kb SVG file.
> > >
> > > I understand the need for an adblocker, but when you use one (wrongly)
> > > you are responsible for when shit breaks.
> > >
> > > Martijn

> > Windows

> > > --
> > > Become a Wicket expert, learn from the best: http://wicketinaction.com
> > >

> > --
> > Andrea Del Bene.
> > Apache Wicket committer.
> >

> --
> WBR
> Maxim aka solomax

Re: Wicket site with adblocker @ MS Edge

Maxim Solodovnik
@Vit, maybe you can share which AdBlocker have you used and how it was
configured?

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Wicket site with adblocker @ MS Edge

Vit Rozkovec-3
He had uBlock Original 1.15, configuration status unknown.

Wouldn't simple svg fix that?

úterý 22. ledna 2019 Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]> napsal(a):

> @Vit, maybe you can share which AdBlocker have you used and how it was
> configured?
>
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 18:56, Martijn Dashorst <[hidden email]
>
> wrote:
>
>> My guess is that if a web font from same origin is blocked, JavaScript
>> will fail as well.
>>
>> Martijn
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:25 PM Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Maybe something like this

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1271477/changing-body-font-size-based-on-font-family-with-jquery

>> > can be used?

>> behaves in

>> If
Introduce a

and

>> (wrongly)

[hidden email]

>> that

>> impression :)

>> when

>> http://wicketinaction.com

>> > --
>> > WBR
>> > Maxim aka solomax
>>

>> --
>> Become a Wicket expert, learn from the best: http://wicketinaction.com
>>

> --
> WBR
> Maxim aka solomax

Re: Wicket site with adblocker @ MS Edge

Vit Rozkovec-3
So no extra configuration whatsoever.

úterý 22. ledna 2019 Vit Rozkovec <[hidden email]> napsal(a):

> He had uBlock Original 1.15, configuration status unknown.
>
> Wouldn't simple svg fix that?
>

> úterý 22. ledna 2019 Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]> napsal(a):
>> @Vit, maybe you can share which AdBlocker have you used and how it was
>> configured?
>>
>> On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 18:56, Martijn Dashorst <
[hidden email]>

>> wrote:
>>
>>> My guess is that if a web font from same origin is blocked, JavaScript
>>> will fail as well.
>>>
>>> Martijn

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1271477/changing-body-font-size-based-on-font-family-with-jquery

with

>>> behaves in

>>> If
Introduce a

Arial

and

>>> (wrongly)

[hidden email]

>>> that

>>> impression :)

>>> when

>>> http://wicketinaction.com

>>> --
>>> Become a Wicket expert, learn from the best: http://wicketinaction.com
>>>

>> --
>> WBR
>> Maxim aka solomax

Re: Wicket site with adblocker @ MS Edge

Maxim Solodovnik
Hello @Devs,

I was able to reproduce the issue, and I believe it can be fixed if we will
Option 0:
1) provide PNG instead of SVG

Option 1:
1) check if embedded web font exist using JS
2) if not will insert PNG image of SVG currently being used

Option 2:
1) modify SVG to have circle and crown only
2) move text and web-font outside SVN to be regular DIV elements

WDYT?

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Wicket site with adblocker @ MS Edge

Korbinian Bachl
Option 3:
1) wait for MS to apply the switch to the chromium engine (ditching the current edge engine completely - see: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3325333/web-browsers/with-move-to-rebuild-edge-atop-googles-chromium-microsoft-raises-white-flag-in-browser-war.html )
2) relax while doing 1)

IMHO: this is an edge case affecting nearly nobody - since nearly nobody uses edge anyway. It was the worst browser from beginning since MS never put any real work in it and if anyone has a problem he can switch to FF or Chrome or maybe even the 1 user in 10 000 disable his plugins for the wicket page? Better put the time needed into work for wicket; In the end, next week a user of lynx will come and complain the the wicket page isnt as good as expected....

my 2c;

PS: I dont know any (!) developer using solely 1 browser anyway - especially since the developer tools in either IE or edge are such useless... Everytime I needed to fix a major IE or EDGE issue in the past it was horrible compared to such a task in FF or Chrome

> I was able to reproduce the issue, and I believe it can be fixed if we will
> Option 0:
> 1) provide PNG instead of SVG
>
> Option 1:
> 1) check if embedded web font exist using JS
> 2) if not will insert PNG image of SVG currently being used
>
> Option 2:
> 1) modify SVG to have circle and crown only
> 2) move text and web-font outside SVN to be regular DIV elements
>
> WDYT?
>
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 21:29, Vit Rozkovec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> So no extra configuration whatsoever.
>>
>> úterý 22. ledna 2019 Vit Rozkovec <[hidden email]> napsal(a):
>> > He had uBlock Original 1.15, configuration status unknown.
>> >
>> > Wouldn't simple svg fix that?

>> [hidden email]>

>> [hidden email]>

>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1271477/changing-body-font-size-based-on-font-family-with-jquery

>> with

>> uri.
>> Introduce a

>> web-safe
>> Arial

>> and

>> [hidden email]

>> uses

>> even

> WBR
> Maxim aka solomax

Re: Wicket site with adblocker @ MS Edge

Maxim Solodovnik
I'm afraid there are some cases where user have no choice: corporate
Windows machine with no ability to install alternative browser :(

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Wicket site with adblocker @ MS Edge

I agree with Korbinian!
Windows users are saints! They decided themselves to spend their live in
suffering! (don't confuse with surfing!) :-)