Wizard overview bar

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wizard overview bar

N. Metzger
Hi all,

I have a wizard implemented that walks the user through a dynamic amount of steps. I also added an overview bar to show progress to the user, essentially a picture moving an arrow from left to right. So far the overview is defined upon wizard creation with the picture staying the same in all steps.
Now, I can go ahead and make an Ajax wizard out of my normal wizard and hopefully update the overview bar with every step. Before going to such lengths, though, is there a way to do it with the regular wizard?

Natalie

P.S. Wicket 1.4.19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wizard overview bar

Dan Retzlaff
Hi Natalie,

If I understand your description correctly, then updating your wizard to
use AJAX is a matter of (1) replacing links/buttons with AJAX ones, and (2)
adding the overview bar to the AjaxRequestTarget so that it gets updated.

An approach to #1 is to construct links/buttons with a factory method that
knows whether the wizard is AJAX or not.
An approach to #2 in Wicket 1.5 is for your wizard to override
Component#onEvent() and add the overview bar to AjaxRequestTarget
payloads[1]. In 1.4 I think you're stuck with something more manual. Maybe
the factory method in #1 produces links/buttons that do this by default.

Dan

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/migration-to-wicket-15.html#MigrationtoWicket1.5-Defaultajaxevent


On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:48 AM, N. Metzger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a wizard implemented that walks the user through a dynamic amount of
> steps. I also added an overview bar to show progress to the user,
> essentially a picture moving an arrow from left to right. So far the
> overview is defined upon wizard creation with the picture staying the same
> in all steps.
> Now, I can go ahead and make an Ajax wizard out of my normal wizard and
> hopefully update the overview bar with every step. Before going to such
> lengths, though, is there a way to do it with the regular wizard?
>
> Natalie
>
> P.S. Wicket 1.4.19
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/Wizard-overview-bar-tp4414812p4414812.html
> Sent from the Users forum mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wizard overview bar

N. Metzger
In reply to this post by N. Metzger
Thanks for the quick reply!

I think I can go the AJAX way, I was just wondering if there's something quicker than that.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wizard overview bar

Dan Retzlaff
Like an application setting that AJAX-ifies your entire app? No, Wicket
makes AJAX relatively easy but you still need to make decisions, for
example about what gets rendered in the response.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM, N. Metzger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply!
>
> I think I can go the AJAX way, I was just wondering if there's something
> quicker than that.
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/Wizard-overview-bar-tp4414812p4414873.html
> Sent from the Users forum mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wizard overview bar

N. Metzger
Dan,

that's not what I meant. It never occurred to me to make my entire Application AJAX. I meant I can make an AjaxWizard, no problem.

My question was about the basic wizard, if I can have an overview bar that is changeable while using the "regular" Wizard class. But I guess not...

Thanks,

Natalie
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wizard overview bar

Dan Retzlaff
Ah, sorry for my misunderstanding. Have you experimented
with IWizardModelListener#onActiveStepChanged()? Maybe you can get the ART
with AjaxRequestTarget.get() and add your overview bar.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM, N. Metzger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dan,
>
> that's not what I meant. It never occurred to me to make my entire
> Application AJAX. I meant I can make an AjaxWizard, no problem.
>
> My question was about the basic wizard, if I can have an overview bar that
> is changeable while using the "regular" Wizard class. But I guess not...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Natalie
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/Wizard-overview-bar-tp4414812p4415788.html
> Sent from the Users forum mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>