XsltPanel?

jimmclaughlin
How to create a component that will transform its xml markup with xslt?
Looking at wicket-contrib-velocity, the VelocityPanel calls
replaceComponentTagBody inside of onComponentTagBody. It looks like
replaceComponentTagBody will skip all the RawMarkup. How can I get it to
be replaced by the xslt transformation?

thx,
jim

Re: XsltPanel?

jdonnerstag
On 12/30/05, Jim McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How to create a component that will transform its xml markup with xslt?
> Looking at wicket-contrib-velocity, the VelocityPanel calls
> replaceComponentTagBody inside of onComponentTagBody. It looks like
> replaceComponentTagBody will skip all the RawMarkup. How can I get it to
> be replaced by the xslt transformation?

The same way FreeMarkerPanel.onComponentTagBody works except that you
don't call FreeMarker but you xslt processor.
replaceComponentTagBody(markupStream, openTag, newBody) removes the
body (as you already discovered) and gets replaced by "newBody" (third
parameter).

Could it be this is not your question? Are you asking to xslt
transform the markup being loaded from the markup file. That would be
similar to loading the markup from a database (or any other source you
can think of). Add a IResourceStreamLocator to the
DefaultResourceStreamLocator which is default an accessible through
Application.getResourceStreamLocator(). Or replace
Application.newMarkupResourceStream but than you loose all the default
functionality.

Juergen

> thx,
> jim

Re: XsltPanel?

jimmclaughlin
Yes, I was not being clear with my question (my grasp of wicket is very
weak). I want to transform the markup being loaded from the markup file,
but *after* wicket has run it through the rendering process. What I want
to do is have wicket take the xml markup associated with the panel and
run it through its rendering process, and then capture that output
before it gets merged with the panel's parent, transform it with xslt
(into javascript -- see my post from yesterday on wicket-contrib-gmap),
and then merge it with the panel's parent.

This way I am hoping to have javascript rendered into the page that will
  know about urls for wicket components. To me, it seems like a natural
way to have javascript objects call wicket Link objects and AjaxHandlers.

Apologies if this sounds like babbling -- I'm still trying to find my
wicket legs.

thx,
jim

Juergen Donnerstag wrote:

> On 12/30/05, Jim McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>How to create a component that will transform its xml markup with xslt?
>>Looking at wicket-contrib-velocity, the VelocityPanel calls
>>replaceComponentTagBody inside of onComponentTagBody. It looks like
>>replaceComponentTagBody will skip all the RawMarkup. How can I get it to
>>be replaced by the xslt transformation?
>>

> The same way FreeMarkerPanel.onComponentTagBody works except that you
> don't call FreeMarker but you xslt processor.
> replaceComponentTagBody(markupStream, openTag, newBody) removes the
> body (as you already discovered) and gets replaced by "newBody" (third
> parameter).
>
> Could it be this is not your question? Are you asking to xslt
> transform the markup being loaded from the markup file. That would be
> similar to loading the markup from a database (or any other source you
> can think of). Add a IResourceStreamLocator to the
> DefaultResourceStreamLocator which is default an accessible through
> Application.getResourceStreamLocator(). Or replace
> Application.newMarkupResourceStream but than you loose all the default
> functionality.
>
> Juergen
>

>>thx,
>>jim

Re: Re: XsltPanel?

Igor Vaynberg-2
i think this is possible. will probably look something like this, i havent tried it

XsltPanel extends Panel {
 onComponentTagBody(...) {
   // wicket renders markup into response so we create a standin that will collect the markup for us
   StringBufferResponse response=new StringBufferResponse();
   // swap the current response with the standin
   Response old=RequestCycle.get().getResponse();
   RequestCycle.get().setResponse(response);

   // let the component render its body
   super.onComponentTagBody();

   // put the old response back
   RequestCycle.get().setResponse(old);

   String output=response.toString();
   //transform the rendered output;

   replaceComponentTagBody(...., output)

something like that might be used as a generic xslt transformer, if it works :)

-Igor

Juergen Donnerstag wrote:
> On 12/30/05, Jim McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>How to create a component that will transform its xml markup with xslt?
>>Looking at wicket-contrib-velocity, the VelocityPanel calls

>>replaceComponentTagBody inside of onComponentTagBody. It looks like
>>replaceComponentTagBody will skip all the RawMarkup. How can I get it to
>>be replaced by the xslt transformation?
>>

> The same way FreeMarkerPanel.onComponentTagBody works except that you
> don't call FreeMarker but you xslt processor.
> replaceComponentTagBody(markupStream, openTag, newBody) removes the
> body (as you already discovered) and gets replaced by "newBody" (third
> parameter).
>
> Could it be this is not your question? Are you asking to xslt
> transform the markup being loaded from the markup file. That would be
> similar to loading the markup from a database (or any other source you
> can think of). Add a IResourceStreamLocator to the
> DefaultResourceStreamLocator which is default an accessible through
> Application.getResourceStreamLocator(). Or replace
> Application.newMarkupResourceStream but than you loose all the default
> functionality.
>
> Juergen
>

>>thx,
>>jim

> for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
> searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!

Re: Re: XsltPanel?

jdonnerstag
On 12/30/05, Jim McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, I was not being clear with my question (my grasp of wicket is very
> weak). I want to transform the markup being loaded from the markup file,
> but *after* wicket has run it through the rendering process. What I want
> to do is have wicket take the xml markup associated with the panel and
> run it through its rendering process, and then capture that output
> before it gets merged with the panel's parent, transform it with xslt
> (into javascript -- see my post from yesterday on wicket-contrib-gmap),
> and then merge it with the panel's parent.

        protected final void onComponentTagBody(MarkupStream markupStream,
ComponentTag openTag)
        {
                // Temporarily replace the web response with a String response
                final Response webResponse = this.getResponse();

                try
                {
                        final StringResponse response = new StringResponse();
                        this.getRequestCycle().setResponse(response);

                        super.onComponentTagBody(markupStream, openTag);

                        if (output.length() > 0)
                        {
                                webResponse.write(output);
                finally
                {
                        // Restore the original response
                        this.getRequestCycle().setResponse(webResponse);

> This way I am hoping to have javascript rendered into the page that will
>   know about urls for wicket components. To me, it seems like a natural
> way to have javascript objects call wicket Link objects and AjaxHandlers.
>
> Apologies if this sounds like babbling -- I'm still trying to find my
> wicket legs.

That's ok.

Juergen

> thx,
> jim
>

> Juergen Donnerstag wrote:
> > On 12/30/05, Jim McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >>How to create a component that will transform its xml markup with xslt?
> >>Looking at wicket-contrib-velocity, the VelocityPanel calls
> >>replaceComponentTagBody inside of onComponentTagBody. It looks like
> >>replaceComponentTagBody will skip all the RawMarkup. How can I get it to
> >>be replaced by the xslt transformation?
> >>

> > The same way FreeMarkerPanel.onComponentTagBody works except that you
> > don't call FreeMarker but you xslt processor.
> > replaceComponentTagBody(markupStream, openTag, newBody) removes the
> > body (as you already discovered) and gets replaced by "newBody" (third
> > parameter).
> >
> > Could it be this is not your question? Are you asking to xslt
> > transform the markup being loaded from the markup file. That would be
> > similar to loading the markup from a database (or any other source you
> > can think of). Add a IResourceStreamLocator to the
> > DefaultResourceStreamLocator which is default an accessible through
> > Application.getResourceStreamLocator(). Or replace
> > Application.newMarkupResourceStream but than you loose all the default
> > functionality.
> >
> > Juergen
> >

> >>thx,
> >>jim

> > for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
> > searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!

Re: XsltPanel?

jimmclaughlin
Thanks Ivan and Juergen! I will implement this and let you know my results.

jim

Juergen Donnerstag wrote:

> On 12/30/05, Jim McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Yes, I was not being clear with my question (my grasp of wicket is very
>>weak). I want to transform the markup being loaded from the markup file,
>>but *after* wicket has run it through the rendering process. What I want
>>to do is have wicket take the xml markup associated with the panel and
>>run it through its rendering process, and then capture that output
>>before it gets merged with the panel's parent, transform it with xslt
>>(into javascript -- see my post from yesterday on wicket-contrib-gmap),
>>and then merge it with the panel's parent.
>>

> protected final void onComponentTagBody(MarkupStream markupStream,
> ComponentTag openTag)
> {
> // Temporarily replace the web response with a String response
> final Response webResponse = this.getResponse();
>
> try
> {
> final StringResponse response = new StringResponse();
> this.getRequestCycle().setResponse(response);
>
> super.onComponentTagBody(markupStream, openTag);

> if (output.length() > 0)
> {
> webResponse.write(output);
> finally
> {
> // Restore the original response
> this.getRequestCycle().setResponse(webResponse);
>

>>This way I am hoping to have javascript rendered into the page that will
>>  know about urls for wicket components. To me, it seems like a natural
>>way to have javascript objects call wicket Link objects and AjaxHandlers.
>>
>>Apologies if this sounds like babbling -- I'm still trying to find my
>>wicket legs.
>>

> That's ok.
>
> Juergen
>

>>thx,
>>jim
>>

>>Juergen Donnerstag wrote:

>>>The same way FreeMarkerPanel.onComponentTagBody works except that you
>>>don't call FreeMarker but you xslt processor.
>>>replaceComponentTagBody(markupStream, openTag, newBody) removes the
>>>body (as you already discovered) and gets replaced by "newBody" (third
>>>parameter).
>>>
>>>Could it be this is not your question? Are you asking to xslt
>>>transform the markup being loaded from the markup file. That would be
>>>similar to loading the markup from a database (or any other source you
>>>can think of). Add a IResourceStreamLocator to the
>>>DefaultResourceStreamLocator which is default an accessible through
>>>Application.getResourceStreamLocator(). Or replace
>>>Application.newMarkupResourceStream but than you loose all the default
>>>functionality.
>>>
>>>Juergen

>>>for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
>>>searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!

Re: XsltPanel?

jimmclaughlin
s/Ivan/Igor/g
So many apologies...

Jim McLaughlin wrote:

> Thanks Ivan and Juergen! I will implement this and let you know my results.
>
> jim
>
> Juergen Donnerstag wrote:
>
>> On 12/30/05, Jim McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I was not being clear with my question (my grasp of wicket is very
>>> weak). I want to transform the markup being loaded from the markup file,
>>> but *after* wicket has run it through the rendering process. What I want
>>> to do is have wicket take the xml markup associated with the panel and
>>> run it through its rendering process, and then capture that output
>>> before it gets merged with the panel's parent, transform it with xslt
>>> (into javascript -- see my post from yesterday on wicket-contrib-gmap),
>>> and then merge it with the panel's parent.
>>>

>>     protected final void onComponentTagBody(MarkupStream markupStream,
>> ComponentTag openTag)
>>     {
>>         // Temporarily replace the web response with a String response
>>         final Response webResponse = this.getResponse();
>>
>>         try
>>         {
>>             final StringResponse response = new StringResponse();
>>             this.getRequestCycle().setResponse(response);
>>
>>             super.onComponentTagBody(markupStream, openTag);

>>             if (output.length() > 0)
>>             {
>>                 webResponse.write(output);
>>             }
>>         }
>>         finally
>>         {
>>             // Restore the original response
>>             this.getRequestCycle().setResponse(webResponse);
>>         }
>>     }
>>

>>> This way I am hoping to have javascript rendered into the page that will
>>>  know about urls for wicket components. To me, it seems like a natural
>>> way to have javascript objects call wicket Link objects and
>>> AjaxHandlers.
>>>
>>> Apologies if this sounds like babbling -- I'm still trying to find my
>>> wicket legs.
>>>

>> That's ok.
>>
>> Juergen
>>

>>> thx,
>>> jim

>> files
>> for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
>> searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!

> files

Re: Re: XsltPanel?

Eelco Hillenius
Wouldn't this make for a nice component? Something that works like a
border in that you can wrap any component in a transform component,
and that the xsl is attached as markup to that transform component?

public class MyTransform extends XslTransformBorder {

MyTransform.xsl
<xml...

MyPanel myPanel = new MyPanel("foo");
MyTransform t = new MyTransform(myPanel);
add(t);

Or maybe you want to turn this around and consider it as a behaviour
instead of a component:

MyPanel myPanel = new MyPanel("foo");
MyTransform t = new MyTransform();
TransformChain chain = new TransformChain().add(t);
myPanel.add(chain);
add(myPanel);

Eelco

On 12/30/05, Jim McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> s/Ivan/Igor/g
> So many apologies...
>
> Jim McLaughlin wrote:
> > Thanks Ivan and Juergen! I will implement this and let you know my results.
> >
> > jim
> >
> > Juergen Donnerstag wrote:

> >>     protected final void onComponentTagBody(MarkupStream markupStream,
> >> ComponentTag openTag)
> >>     {
> >>         // Temporarily replace the web response with a String response
> >>         final Response webResponse = this.getResponse();
> >>
> >>         try
> >>         {
> >>             final StringResponse response = new StringResponse();
> >>             this.getRequestCycle().setResponse(response);
> >>
> >>             super.onComponentTagBody(markupStream, openTag);

> >>             if (output.length() > 0)
> >>             {
> >>                 webResponse.write(output);
> >>             }
> >>         }
> >>         finally
> >>         {
> >>             // Restore the original response
> >>             this.getRequestCycle().setResponse(webResponse);
> >>         }
> >>     }

> >> That's ok.
> >>
> >> Juergen

> >> files
> >> for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
> >> searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!

> > files
> > for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
> > searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!

Re: Re: XsltPanel?

jdonnerstag
I committed a first attempt. I called them OutputTransformer. They are
extended from WebMarkupContainer and override onComponentTagBody. The
method transformer() must replaced to implement the transformation.

Juergen

On 12/31/05, Eelco Hillenius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wouldn't this make for a nice component? Something that works like a
> border in that you can wrap any component in a transform component,
> and that the xsl is attached as markup to that transform component?
>
> public class MyTransform extends XslTransformBorder {
>
> MyTransform.xsl
> <xml...

> MyPanel myPanel = new MyPanel("foo");
> MyTransform t = new MyTransform(myPanel);
> add(t);
>
> Or maybe you want to turn this around and consider it as a behaviour
> instead of a component:
>
> MyPanel myPanel = new MyPanel("foo");
> MyTransform t = new MyTransform();
> TransformChain chain = new TransformChain().add(t);
> myPanel.add(chain);
> add(myPanel);
>
> Eelco
>
> On 12/30/05, Jim McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > s/Ivan/Igor/g
> > So many apologies...
> >
> > Jim McLaughlin wrote:
> > > Thanks Ivan and Juergen! I will implement this and let you know my results.
> > >
> > > jim

> > > files
> > > for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
> > > searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
> > > http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click

Re: Re: XsltPanel?

Igor Vaynberg-2
so when this is completed border will extend from the abstract output transformer container and perform an empty transform as opposed to extending the markup container?

-Igor

On 12/31/05, Juergen Donnerstag <[hidden email]> wrote:
I committed a first attempt. I called them OutputTransformer. They are
extended from WebMarkupContainer and override onComponentTagBody. The
method transformer() must replaced to implement the transformation.

Juergen

On 12/31/05, Eelco Hillenius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wouldn't this make for a nice component? Something that works like a
> border in that you can wrap any component in a transform component,
> and that the xsl is attached as markup to that transform component?
>
> public class MyTransform extends XslTransformBorder {
>
> MyTransform.xsl
> <xml...

> MyPanel myPanel = new MyPanel("foo");
> MyTransform t = new MyTransform(myPanel);
> add(t);
>
> Or maybe you want to turn this around and consider it as a behaviour
> instead of a component:
>
> MyPanel myPanel = new MyPanel("foo");
> MyTransform t = new MyTransform();
> TransformChain chain = new TransformChain().add(t);
> myPanel.add(chain);
> add(myPanel);
>
> Eelco
>
> On 12/30/05, Jim McLaughlin < [hidden email]> wrote:
> > s/Ivan/Igor/g
> > So many apologies...
> >

> > Jim McLaughlin wrote:
> > > Thanks Ivan and Juergen! I will implement this and let you know my results.
> > >
> > > jim

> > > files
> > > for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
> > > searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!

> > for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
> > searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!

Re: Re: XsltPanel?

jdonnerstag
? Not sure I understand your question. I didn't intend to re-implement
the Border component. I choose the MarkupContainer because I wasn't
quite sure how to make it with Border or Panel. Which part of the
Border/Panel markup should be the external xsl file? The
MarkupContainer seemed to me the easiest approach. The disadvantage of
the current approach of course is, you need an additional <span> tag
and an additional container.

Juergen

On 12/31/05, Igor Vaynberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> so when this is completed border will extend from the abstract output
> transformer container and perform an empty transform as opposed to extending
> the markup container?
>

> -Igor
>

>  On 12/31/05, Juergen Donnerstag < [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I committed a first attempt. I called them OutputTransformer. They are
> > extended from WebMarkupContainer and override onComponentTagBody. The
> > method transformer() must replaced to implement the transformation.
> >
> > Juergen
> >

> > On 12/31/05, Eelco Hillenius < [hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Wouldn't this make for a nice component? Something that works like a
> > > border in that you can wrap any component in a transform component,
> > > and that the xsl is attached as markup to that transform component?
> > >
> > > public class MyTransform extends XslTransformBorder {
> > > }
> > >
> > > MyTransform.xsl
> > > <xml...

> > > MyPanel myPanel = new MyPanel("foo");
> > > MyTransform t = new MyTransform(myPanel);
> > > add(t);
> > >
> > > Or maybe you want to turn this around and consider it as a behaviour
> > > instead of a component:
> > >
> > > MyPanel myPanel = new MyPanel("foo");
> > > MyTransform t = new MyTransform();
> > > TransformChain chain = new TransformChain().add(t);
> > > myPanel.add(chain);
> > > add(myPanel);
> > >
> > > Eelco

> results.

> very
> file,
> I want
> and
> xslt
> wicket-contrib-gmap),

> markupStream,
> response

> that will
> natural

> my

> with
> like
> get

> works except that you
> newBody) removes the
> (third

> would be
> source you
> through
> replace
> loose all the default

> through
> makes

> through
> makes
> SPLUNK!

> makes
> SPLUNK!

> log
> makes
> SPLUNK!

> log
> SPLUNK!

> files
> SPLUNK!

Re: Re: XsltPanel?

jdonnerstag
I've added a XsltTransfomerBehaviour which similar to
XsltOutputTransformerContainer allows to post-process a components
output. The Behaviour however does not require an additional
container.

It is a first draft (and I'm not a xsl expert). Please don't hesitate
in case something should be improved.

Juergen

On 1/1/06, Juergen Donnerstag <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ? Not sure I understand your question. I didn't intend to re-implement
> the Border component. I choose the MarkupContainer because I wasn't
> quite sure how to make it with Border or Panel. Which part of the
> Border/Panel markup should be the external xsl file? The
> MarkupContainer seemed to me the easiest approach. The disadvantage of
> the current approach of course is, you need an additional <span> tag
> and an additional container.
>
> Juergen
>

> On 12/31/05, Igor Vaynberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > so when this is completed border will extend from the abstract output
> > transformer container and perform an empty transform as opposed to extending
> > the markup container?
> >

> > -Igor
> >

> >  On 12/31/05, Juergen Donnerstag < [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I committed a first attempt. I called them OutputTransformer. They are
> > > extended from WebMarkupContainer and override onComponentTagBody. The
> > > method transformer() must replaced to implement the transformation.
> > >
> > > Juergen

> > results.

> > very
> > file,
> > I want
> > and
> > xslt
> > wicket-contrib-gmap),

> > markupStream,
> > response

> > that will
> > natural

> > my

> > with
> > like
> > get

> > works except that you
> > newBody) removes the
> > (third

> > would be
> > source you
> > through
> > replace
> > loose all the default

> > through
> > makes

> > through
> > makes
> > SPLUNK!

> > makes
> > SPLUNK!

> > log
> > makes
> > SPLUNK!

> > log
> > SPLUNK!

> > files
> > SPLUNK!

Re: Re: XsltPanel?

i actually meant the opposite. we can reimplement border using this new functionality. a border is an output transformer with the identity transform.

-Igor

> [...]

> > method transformer() must replaced to implement the transformation.
> >
> > Juergen
> >

> > On 12/31/05, Eelco Hillenius < [hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Wouldn't this make for a nice component? Something that works like a
> > > border in that you can wrap any component in a transform component,
> > > and that the xsl is attached as markup to that transform component?
> > >
> > > public class MyTransform extends XslTransformBorder {
> > > }
> > >
> > > MyTransform.xsl
> > > <xml...

> > > MyPanel myPanel = new MyPanel("foo");
> > > MyTransform t = new MyTransform(myPanel);
> > > add(t);
> > >
> > > Or maybe you want to turn this around and consider it as a behaviour
> > > instead of a component:
> > >
> > > MyPanel myPanel = new MyPanel("foo");
> > > MyTransform t = new MyTransform();
> > > TransformChain chain = new TransformChain().add(t);

Re: XsltPanel?

jimmclaughlin
Excellent. This fits into the framework beautifully.

I am also not an xsl expert. The only problem I see is enclosing the
markup stream in the <wicket
xmlns:wicket=\"http://wicket.sourceforge.net\"> </wicket> tags and then
popping them off after transforming the stream. There is no guarantee
those tags will be there after xsl returns the new stream. My suggestion
is leave it to the user to make sure there is a wicket namespace
declaration in the document. It is likely that they will want to unit
test the xsl outside of wicket, and will need to put the declaration in
their document anyway. And if they don't, whatever tranformer they
decide to use should deliver a nice stack trace informing them of the
omission. It would be kind to note in the javadoc that documents
including wicket markup must declare the wicket namespace in the tag
incorporating the markup or one of its ancestors.

jim

Juergen Donnerstag wrote:

> I've added a XsltTransfomerBehaviour which similar to
> XsltOutputTransformerContainer allows to post-process a components
> output. The Behaviour however does not require an additional
> container.
>
> It is a first draft (and I'm not a xsl expert). Please don't hesitate
> in case something should be improved.
>
> Juergen
>
> On 1/1/06, Juergen Donnerstag <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>? Not sure I understand your question. I didn't intend to re-implement
>>the Border component. I choose the MarkupContainer because I wasn't
>>quite sure how to make it with Border or Panel. Which part of the
>>Border/Panel markup should be the external xsl file? The
>>MarkupContainer seemed to me the easiest approach. The disadvantage of
>>the current approach of course is, you need an additional <span> tag
>>and an additional container.
>>
>>Juergen
>>

>>On 12/31/05, Igor Vaynberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>so when this is completed border will extend from the abstract output
>>>transformer container and perform an empty transform as opposed to extending
>>>the markup container?
>>>

>>>-Igor

>>>results.

>>>very

>>>file,

>>>I want

>>>and

>>>xslt

>>>wicket-contrib-gmap),

>>>markupStream,

>>>response

>>>that will

>>>natural

>>>my

>>>with

>>>like

>>>get

>>>works except that you

>>>newBody) removes the

>>>(third

>>>would be

>>>source you

>>>through

>>>replace

>>>loose all the default

>>>through

>>>makes

>>>http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click

>>>through

>>>makes

>>>SPLUNK!

>>>makes

>>>SPLUNK!
>>>
>>>http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click

>>>log

>>>makes

>>>SPLUNK!

>>>log

>>>SPLUNK!
>>>
>>>http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click

>>>files

>>>SPLUNK!
>>>
>>>http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click

>>>files

>>>files

Re: Re: XsltPanel?

jdonnerstag
The problem why I added <wicket
> xmlns:wicket=\"http://wicket.sourceforge.net\"> </wicket> is
a) xsl requires a single root element
b) xsl requires the namespace definition otherwise it will fail to
"compile" the xsl file
c) no wicket component will generate them. They are not needed for
Label, Panel or whatever. We only need them for xsl. Hence, we can not
leave it to the user. Hmm, but because the user knows it will be xsl
transformed ... May be you are right.

Juergen

On 1/2/06, Jim McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excellent. This fits into the framework beautifully.
>
> I am also not an xsl expert. The only problem I see is enclosing the
> markup stream in the <wicket
> xmlns:wicket=\"http://wicket.sourceforge.net\"> </wicket> tags and then
> popping them off after transforming the stream. There is no guarantee
> those tags will be there after xsl returns the new stream. My suggestion
> is leave it to the user to make sure there is a wicket namespace
> declaration in the document. It is likely that they will want to unit
> test the xsl outside of wicket, and will need to put the declaration in
> their document anyway. And if they don't, whatever tranformer they
> decide to use should deliver a nice stack trace informing them of the
> omission. It would be kind to note in the javadoc that documents
> including wicket markup must declare the wicket namespace in the tag
> incorporating the markup or one of its ancestors.
>
> jim
>

> Juergen Donnerstag wrote:
> > I've added a XsltTransfomerBehaviour which similar to
> > XsltOutputTransformerContainer allows to post-process a components
> > output. The Behaviour however does not require an additional
> > container.
> >
> > It is a first draft (and I'm not a xsl expert). Please don't hesitate
> > in case something should be improved.
> >
> > Juergen
> >
> > On 1/1/06, Juergen Donnerstag <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >>? Not sure I understand your question. I didn't intend to re-implement
> >>the Border component. I choose the MarkupContainer because I wasn't
> >>quite sure how to make it with Border or Panel. Which part of the
> >>Border/Panel markup should be the external xsl file? The
> >>MarkupContainer seemed to me the easiest approach. The disadvantage of
> >>the current approach of course is, you need an additional <span> tag
> >>and an additional container.
> >>
> >>Juergen

> > for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
> > searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!

Re: Re: XsltPanel?

jdonnerstag
I tried to change it but actually it does not work for Behaviours at
all except if attached to WebMarkupContainer. Where to put the <wicket
xmlns:wicket="..."> </wicket> for a Panel or a Border and remember it
must be the first and the last tag of the generated output.
Would you accept this limitation to the XslBehaviour? Actually the
XslContainer would even than be the more convinient choice. Any idea
how to solve the problem?

Juergen

On 1/2/06, Juergen Donnerstag <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem why I added <wicket
> > xmlns:wicket=\"http://wicket.sourceforge.net\"> </wicket> is
> a) xsl requires a single root element
> b) xsl requires the namespace definition otherwise it will fail to
> "compile" the xsl file
> c) no wicket component will generate them. They are not needed for
> Label, Panel or whatever. We only need them for xsl. Hence, we can not
> leave it to the user. Hmm, but because the user knows it will be xsl
> transformed ... May be you are right.
>
> Juergen
>
> On 1/2/06, Jim McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Excellent. This fits into the framework beautifully.
> >
> > I am also not an xsl expert. The only problem I see is enclosing the
> > markup stream in the <wicket
> > xmlns:wicket=\"http://wicket.sourceforge.net\"> </wicket> tags and then
> > popping them off after transforming the stream. There is no guarantee
> > those tags will be there after xsl returns the new stream. My suggestion
> > is leave it to the user to make sure there is a wicket namespace
> > declaration in the document. It is likely that they will want to unit
> > test the xsl outside of wicket, and will need to put the declaration in
> > their document anyway. And if they don't, whatever tranformer they
> > decide to use should deliver a nice stack trace informing them of the
> > omission. It would be kind to note in the javadoc that documents
> > including wicket markup must declare the wicket namespace in the tag
> > incorporating the markup or one of its ancestors.
> >
> > jim
> >

> > Juergen Donnerstag wrote:
> > > I've added a XsltTransfomerBehaviour which similar to
> > > XsltOutputTransformerContainer allows to post-process a components
> > > output. The Behaviour however does not require an additional
> > > container.
> > >
> > > It is a first draft (and I'm not a xsl expert). Please don't hesitate
> > > in case something should be improved.
> > >
> > > Juergen

> > > for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
> > > searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!

Re: XsltPanel?

jimmclaughlin
I see what you mean. If panels and borders don't have their own markup
file, then you would have to put the namespace declaration in each one
of their wicket markup tags. Not so nice.

in bind(), is it possible to have the XslBehavior add an
AttributeModifier to the Component for xmlns:wicket?

If not, maybe we can use a regex to check the stream for the
declaration, add it if it is not there, and then check if it is still
there on return? This will add a bit too much overhead, probably.

Restrict the attaching of XsltBehaviors to Components that implement an
interface that guarantees the namespace declaration. But I don't think
you guys want this to have such a visible impact on the framework.

jim

Juergen Donnerstag wrote:

> I tried to change it but actually it does not work for Behaviours at
> all except if attached to WebMarkupContainer. Where to put the <wicket
> xmlns:wicket="..."> </wicket> for a Panel or a Border and remember it
> must be the first and the last tag of the generated output.
> Would you accept this limitation to the XslBehaviour? Actually the
> XslContainer would even than be the more convinient choice. Any idea
> how to solve the problem?
>
> Juergen
>

> On 1/2/06, Juergen Donnerstag <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>The problem why I added <wicket
>>
>>>xmlns:wicket=\"http://wicket.sourceforge.net\"> </wicket> is
>>
>>a) xsl requires a single root element
>>b) xsl requires the namespace definition otherwise it will fail to
>>"compile" the xsl file
>>c) no wicket component will generate them. They are not needed for
>>Label, Panel or whatever. We only need them for xsl. Hence, we can not
>>leave it to the user. Hmm, but because the user knows it will be xsl
>>transformed ... May be you are right.
>>
>>Juergen
>>
>>On 1/2/06, Jim McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>Excellent. This fits into the framework beautifully.
>>>
>>>I am also not an xsl expert. The only problem I see is enclosing the
>>>markup stream in the <wicket
>>>xmlns:wicket=\"http://wicket.sourceforge.net\"> </wicket> tags and then
>>>popping them off after transforming the stream. There is no guarantee
>>>those tags will be there after xsl returns the new stream. My suggestion
>>>is leave it to the user to make sure there is a wicket namespace
>>>declaration in the document. It is likely that they will want to unit
>>>test the xsl outside of wicket, and will need to put the declaration in
>>>their document anyway. And if they don't, whatever tranformer they
>>>decide to use should deliver a nice stack trace informing them of the
>>>omission. It would be kind to note in the javadoc that documents
>>>including wicket markup must declare the wicket namespace in the tag
>>>incorporating the markup or one of its ancestors.
>>>
>>>jim

Re: Re: XsltPanel?

jdonnerstag
Good idea. The xsl transformer no longer adds <wicket
xmlns:wicket="http://..."> .. </wicket> to the input of the xsl
processor (and removes it later on). Instead it adds the attr
xmlns:wicket to the tag associated with the XsltTransformerContainer
resp XslTransformerBehaviour. This allow to develop and test the xsl
and apply it to wicket without modifications and the input to the xsl
processor is still well-formed xml.

Thanks Jim

Juergen

On 1/3/06, Jim McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see what you mean. If panels and borders don't have their own markup
> file, then you would have to put the namespace declaration in each one
> of their wicket markup tags. Not so nice.
>
> in bind(), is it possible to have the XslBehavior add an
> AttributeModifier to the Component for xmlns:wicket?
>
> If not, maybe we can use a regex to check the stream for the
> declaration, add it if it is not there, and then check if it is still
> there on return? This will add a bit too much overhead, probably.
>
> Restrict the attaching of XsltBehaviors to Components that implement an
> interface that guarantees the namespace declaration. But I don't think
> you guys want this to have such a visible impact on the framework.
>
> jim
>
> Juergen Donnerstag wrote:
> > I tried to change it but actually it does not work for Behaviours at
> > all except if attached to WebMarkupContainer. Where to put the <wicket
> > xmlns:wicket="..."> </wicket> for a Panel or a Border and remember it
> > must be the first and the last tag of the generated output.
> > Would you accept this limitation to the XslBehaviour? Actually the
> > XslContainer would even than be the more convinient choice. Any idea
> > how to solve the problem?
> >
> > Juergen
> >

> > On 1/2/06, Juergen Donnerstag <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >>The problem why I added <wicket

> >>a) xsl requires a single root element
> >>b) xsl requires the namespace definition otherwise it will fail to
> >>"compile" the xsl file
> >>c) no wicket component will generate them. They are not needed for
> >>Label, Panel or whatever. We only need them for xsl. Hence, we can not
> >>leave it to the user. Hmm, but because the user knows it will be xsl
> >>transformed ... May be you are right.
> >>
> >>Juergen

> > for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
> > searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!

Re: XsltPanel?

jimmclaughlin
This is great Juergen, thanks. I am going to start working with this
today, sourceforge willing :)