choosing between PageableListView and DataView

choosing between PageableListView and DataView

karthikg
I'm a little confused. I tried everything in wicket.markup.html.list package. Used PagingNavigator with PageableListView and am able to get them working for me just fine. When s'd I be using pagable components from wicket & wicket-extensions?. I see that the paging components in extensions project accept a IDataProvider that allows one to load data lazily?- iterator(int first,int count) whereas PageableListView expects all data to be supplied to it upfront?..its not too clear to me ..i mean the hook. May be am wrong.
extensions interface is pretty clear with IDataProvider as to which methods needs to be overriden.  So in practice PageableListView does'nt make much sense when dealing with say a database finder? I also observed that PageableListView  does not take columns. But thats fine since i see DataTable accepting columns dynamically. I see some nice support for sortable columns too in extensions project. Does it mean that for all practical purposes components in wicket-extensions make more sense when it comes to deadling with tabular data?

Re: choosing between PageableListView and DataView

jdonnerstag
yeap.

Juergen

On 1/4/06, karthik Guru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm a little confused. I tried everything in wicket.markup.html.list
> package. Used PagingNavigator with PageableListView and am able to get them
> working for me just fine. When s'd I be using pagable components from wicket
> & wicket-extensions?. I see that the paging components in extensions project
> accept a IDataProvider that allows one to load data lazily?- iterator(int
> first,int count) whereas PageableListView expects all data to be supplied to
> it upfront?..its not too clear to me ..i mean the hook. May be am wrong.
> extensions interface is pretty clear with IDataProvider as to which methods
> needs to be overriden.  So in practice PageableListView does'nt make much
> sense when dealing with say a database finder? I also observed that
> PageableListView  does not take columns. But thats fine since i see
> DataTable accepting columns dynamically. I see some nice support for
> sortable columns too in extensions project. Does it mean that for all
> practical purposes components in wicket-extensions make more sense when it
> comes to deadling with tabular data?

Re: choosing between PageableListView and DataView

The difference between the components is that the Extensions package provides a higher level abstraction for working with ListViews etc.

You'll probably find that you are implementing DataView or one of its cousins yourself one time or another.

Basically the difference between wicket and wicket-extensions is that wicket provides the bare minimum to develop web applications, nothing fancy. Extensions provide higher level components that make life easier. We make this distinction because we don't want the core project to grow too big and we think that a framework should provide extension points, not the extensions themselves.

Martijn

--
Living a wicket life...

Martijn Dashorst - http://www.jroller.com/page/dashorst