cwiki code blocks render poorly on firefox, chrome, safari

cwiki code blocks render poorly on firefox, chrome, safari

-troy
I couldn't find a place on the wiki to point this out, so....

FYI, many of the wiki pages have code blocks that render poorly on firefox,
chrome & safari (all on the Mac).

For example, http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/dropdownchoice-examples.html

I see code blocks with nested scrollpanes and the inner one is only about 20
characters wide, so the code is wrapped tightly.  On chrome and safari there's
a drag handle where you can pull each one out horizontally to make it readable,
but not on firefox.  Many of the wiki pages are like this.

OTOH, many similar pages are fine.  For example
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/conditional-validation.html

-troy

Re: cwiki code blocks render poorly on firefox, chrome, safari

Per Lundholm
The ones working is not using a "code" block. Don't know much about the wiki
used, but it seems not to set up the width of textareas, leaving them to
default width.

/Per

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Troy Cauble <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I couldn't find a place on the wiki to point this out, so....
>
> FYI, many of the wiki pages have code blocks that render poorly on firefox,
> chrome & safari (all on the Mac).
>
> For example, http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/dropdownchoice-examples.html
>
> I see code blocks with nested scrollpanes and the inner one is only about
> 20
> characters wide, so the code is wrapped tightly.  On chrome and safari
> there's
> a drag handle where you can pull each one out horizontally to make it
> readable,
> but not on firefox.  Many of the wiki pages are like this.
>
> OTOH, many similar pages are fine.  For example
> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/conditional-validation.html
>
> -troy

Re: cwiki code blocks render poorly on firefox, chrome, safari

Reinhard Nägele
I just played around with that a bit. This seems to be a Confluence
problem. If you open the URL
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/dropdownchoice-examples.html, you get
small text areas without proper styling. If you then edit the page and
cancel editing again, you are redirected to
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/DropDownChoice+Examples.
Now everything is fine.

It looks like any link that ends with ".html" leads to a bad page. I
wonder how come such HTML links are used. These are not standard
Confluence links. The problems is that if you open a ".html" link, all
links on that page in turn ".html" links again. Compare e. g.
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/how-to-do-things-in-wicket.html vs.
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/How+to+do+things+in+Wicket.

So, every link to the Wiki from the Apache Website should use the
correct form. E. g. http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/ should be changed to
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/Index.

Could someone please take care of that.

Thanks,
Reinhard

Per Lundholm schrieb:

> The ones working is not using a "code" block. Don't know much about the wiki
> used, but it seems not to set up the width of textareas, leaving them to
> default width.
>
> /Per
>
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Troy Cauble <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I couldn't find a place on the wiki to point this out, so....
>>
>> FYI, many of the wiki pages have code blocks that render poorly on firefox,
>> chrome & safari (all on the Mac).
>>
>> For example, http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/dropdownchoice-examples.html
>>
>> I see code blocks with nested scrollpanes and the inner one is only about
>> 20
>> characters wide, so the code is wrapped tightly.  On chrome and safari
>> there's
>> a drag handle where you can pull each one out horizontally to make it
>> readable,
>> but not on firefox.  Many of the wiki pages are like this.
>>
>> OTOH, many similar pages are fine.  For example
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/conditional-validation.html
>>
>> -troy

Re: cwiki code blocks render poorly on firefox, chrome, safari

You're completely reasoning the wrong way. The static HTML files are
the right links. Never, NEVER link to a confluence internal page,
since that puts more load on the server without any due cause. If you
had read the big warning sign on the top of the root wiki page, you
would have read:

> Linking to the wiki
>
> To help with the server loading, please only link to pages under the http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/ static root.

This is the proper way to linking to our documentation.

The issue with the code blocks is something I'll take up with infra@
and see if there's something that can be done.

Martijn

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Reinhard
Nägele<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just played around with that a bit. This seems to be a Confluence problem.
> If you open the URL
> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/dropdownchoice-examples.html, you get small
> text areas without proper styling. If you then edit the page and cancel
> editing again, you are redirected to
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/DropDownChoice+Examples.
> Now everything is fine.
>
> It looks like any link that ends with ".html" leads to a bad page. I wonder
> how come such HTML links are used. These are not standard Confluence links.
> The problems is that if you open a ".html" link, all links on that page in
> turn ".html" links again. Compare e. g.
> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/how-to-do-things-in-wicket.html vs.
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/How+to+do+things+in+Wicket.
>
> So, every link to the Wiki from the Apache Website should use the correct
> form. E. g. http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/ should be changed to
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/Index.
>
> Could someone please take care of that.
>
> Thanks,
> Reinhard
>

> Per Lundholm schrieb:
>>
>> The ones working is not using a "code" block. Don't know much about the
>> wiki
>> used, but it seems not to set up the width of textareas, leaving them to
>> default width.
>>
>> /Per
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Troy Cauble <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> I couldn't find a place on the wiki to point this out, so....
>>>
>>> FYI, many of the wiki pages have code blocks that render poorly on
>>> firefox,
>>> chrome & safari (all on the Mac).
>>>
>>> For example, http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/dropdownchoice-examples.html
>>>
>>> I see code blocks with nested scrollpanes and the inner one is only about
>>> 20
>>> characters wide, so the code is wrapped tightly.  On chrome and safari
>>> there's
>>> a drag handle where you can pull each one out horizontally to make it
>>> readable,
>>> but not on firefox.  Many of the wiki pages are like this.
>>>
>>> OTOH, many similar pages are fine.  For example
>>> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/conditional-validation.html
>>>
>>> -troy

Apache Wicket 1.4 increases type safety for web applications
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.4.0

Re: cwiki code blocks render poorly on firefox, chrome, safari

Reinhard Nägele
OK, sorry, I didn't read that. My bad. But please don't panic, I was
just trying to help identify the problem...