estimate time for 9.x release?

Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro-4
Hi,

Is there an estimated time for 9.x official release? My question is not
just moot: I'm keeping a parallel version of our project based on wicket
9.x. branch, and some problems I encountered on wicket 8.x. are easier to
solve on 9.x. So, if release is not too far in the future I might try to
convince other team members to go 9.x. for development.

Regards - Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro

Re: estimate time for 9.x release?

rstolle
Same here! I would love to go with wicket 9 ASAP. I'm using 9.0.0-M2 on
a new
project and very much appreciate the switch to java.time.Duration, which
saves
me a lot of conversions. Junit5 is also a huge plus in my opinion. So
far I did not
encounter any problems.

Good moment to THANK THE WICKET TEAM (again) - you doing a wicked job!

René

Am 2019-06-19 11:30 schrieb Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro:

> Hi,
>
> Is there an estimated time for 9.x official release? My question is not
> just moot: I'm keeping a parallel version of our project based on
> wicket
> 9.x. branch, and some problems I encountered on wicket 8.x. are easier
> solve on 9.x. So, if release is not too far in the future I might try
> convince other team members to go 9.x. for development.

Re: estimate time for 9.x release?

Andrea Del Bene-3
Hi,

I'm happy you started to appreciate Wicket 9.x in its earliest versions!
The short answer is no, there is no estimated time for 9.x to become EA.
But at the moment I'm not aware of any huge feature or refactoring being
in progress or even proposed. Let's hear what other developers have to
say about this.
Personally speaking I'm also willing to release Wicket 9.x in a short
time, let's say in the Q4 of this year, after one or two more milestone
releases. I also believe that the time is now ripe to provide a version
of Wicket for the "post Java 8 era", which fully supports the last LTS JDK.

Andrea.

On 6/19/19 12:29 PM, rstolle wrote:

> Same here! I would love to go with wicket 9 ASAP. I'm using 9.0.0-M2
> on a new
> project and very much appreciate the switch to java.time.Duration,
> which saves
> me a lot of conversions. Junit5 is also a huge plus in my opinion. So
> far I did not
> encounter any problems.
>
> Good moment to THANK THE WICKET TEAM (again) - you doing a wicked job!
>
> René
>
> Am 2019-06-19 11:30 schrieb Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there an estimated time for 9.x official release? My question is not
>> just moot: I'm keeping a parallel version of our project based on wicket
>> 9.x. branch, and some problems I encountered on wicket 8.x. are
>> easier to
>> solve on 9.x. So, if release is not too far in the future I might try to
>> convince other team members to go 9.x. for development.

Re: estimate time for 9.x release?

The only bigger task I am aware of is the vanilla wicket-ajax.js rewrite
that has been suggested by Korbinian Bachl (some time ago) and Andrew
Kondratev (more recently). Sven said that he wants to work on it.
But in my opinion this task should not stop us to release 9.0.0. The
vanilla impl can be introduced in a minor release too, even in 8.x, if the
APIs are preserved.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 12:03 AM Andrea Del Bene <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm happy you started to appreciate Wicket 9.x in its earliest versions!
> The short answer is no, there is no estimated time for 9.x to become EA.
> But at the moment I'm not aware of any huge feature or refactoring being
> in progress or even proposed. Let's hear what other developers have to
> say about this.
> Personally speaking I'm also willing to release Wicket 9.x in a short
> time, let's say in the Q4 of this year, after one or two more milestone
> releases. I also believe that the time is now ripe to provide a version
> of Wicket for the "post Java 8 era", which fully supports the last LTS JDK.
>
> Andrea.
>
> On 6/19/19 12:29 PM, rstolle wrote:
> > Same here! I would love to go with wicket 9 ASAP. I'm using 9.0.0-M2
> > on a new
> > project and very much appreciate the switch to java.time.Duration,
> > which saves
> > me a lot of conversions. Junit5 is also a huge plus in my opinion. So
> > far I did not
> > encounter any problems.
> >
> > Good moment to THANK THE WICKET TEAM (again) - you doing a wicked job!
> >
> > René
> >
> > Am 2019-06-19 11:30 schrieb Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is there an estimated time for 9.x official release? My question is not
> >> just moot: I'm keeping a parallel version of our project based on wicket
> >> 9.x. branch, and some problems I encountered on wicket 8.x. are
> >> easier to
> >> solve on 9.x. So, if release is not too far in the future I might try to
> >> convince other team members to go 9.x. for development.

Re: estimate time for 9.x release?

Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro-4
Hi Martin and Andrea,

Many thanks for answers. So, I will try to convince my teammates to switch
development to 9.x branch and that way provide "life feedback"  on new
developments.

The only bigger task I am aware of is the vanilla wicket-ajax.js rewrite
> that has been suggested by Korbinian Bachl (some time ago) and Andrew
> Kondratev (more recently). Sven said that he wants to work on it.
> But in my opinion this task should not stop us to release 9.0.0. The
> vanilla impl can be introduced in a minor release too, even in 8.x, if the
> APIs are preserved.

I also remember to have seeing some commits to get rid of wicket AJAX
console. Would this also be part of 9.x?
Also some proposal of new implementation of modal window? For us this is
not relevant as we use bootstrap modal.

Regards - Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro

Re: estimate time for 9.x release?

Martin Grigorov-4
On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 1:37 PM Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Martin and Andrea,
>
> Many thanks for answers. So, I will try to convince my teammates to switch
> development to 9.x branch and that way provide "life feedback"  on new
> developments.
>
> The only bigger task I am aware of is the vanilla wicket-ajax.js rewrite
> > that has been suggested by Korbinian Bachl (some time ago) and Andrew
> > Kondratev (more recently). Sven said that he wants to work on it.
> > But in my opinion this task should not stop us to release 9.0.0. The
> > vanilla impl can be introduced in a minor release too, even in 8.x, if
> the
> > APIs are preserved.
> >

> I also remember to have seeing some commits to get rid of wicket AJAX
> console. Would this also be part of 9.x?

Yes, this is already in M2.

> Also some proposal of new implementation of modal window? For us this is
> not relevant as we use bootstrap modal.

I am not sure about this one.

I think you are talking about this https://github.com/apache/wicket/pull/361
>> --
>> Regards - Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro

Re: estimate time for 9.x release?

martin-g
On Thu, Jun 20, 2019, 23:17 Andrea Del Bene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/20/19 12:46 PM, Martin Grigorov wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 1:37 PM Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Martin and Andrea,
> >>
> >> Many thanks for answers. So, I will try to convince my teammates to
> switch
> >> development to 9.x branch and that way provide "life feedback"  on new
> >> developments.
> >>
> >> The only bigger task I am aware of is the vanilla wicket-ajax.js rewrite
> >> the
> >>>
> >> I also remember to have seeing some commits to get rid of wicket AJAX
> >> console. Would this also be part of 9.x?
> >>
> > Yes, this is already in M2.
> >

> >> Also some proposal of new implementation of modal window? For us this is
> >> not relevant as we use bootstrap modal.
> >>
> > I am not sure about this one.
> >
> I think you are talking about this
> https://github.com/apache/wicket/pull/361

I know about the PR.
What I don't know is it's future - whether it will be merged or not.

> >> --
> >> Regards - Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro

Re: estimate time for 9.x release?

Sven Meier
Hi all,

I haven't had time to work an wicket-ajax-no-jquery.js, and I agree that
we as well might try that in Wicket 10.

Meanwhile I'm preparing a pull request for another modal-dialog
proposal, but this doesn't have to delay a Wicket 9 release either.

Have fun
Sven

On 20.06.19 11:50, Martin Grigorov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The only bigger task I am aware of is the vanilla wicket-ajax.js rewrite
> that has been suggested by Korbinian Bachl (some time ago) and Andrew
> Kondratev (more recently). Sven said that he wants to work on it.
> But in my opinion this task should not stop us to release 9.0.0. The
> vanilla impl can be introduced in a minor release too, even in 8.x, if the
> APIs are preserved.
>
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 12:03 AM Andrea Del Bene <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm happy you started to appreciate Wicket 9.x in its earliest versions!
>> The short answer is no, there is no estimated time for 9.x to become EA.
>> But at the moment I'm not aware of any huge feature or refactoring being
>> in progress or even proposed. Let's hear what other developers have to
>> say about this.
>> Personally speaking I'm also willing to release Wicket 9.x in a short
>> time, let's say in the Q4 of this year, after one or two more milestone
>> releases. I also believe that the time is now ripe to provide a version
>> of Wicket for the "post Java 8 era", which fully supports the last LTS JDK.
>>
>> Andrea.
>>
>> On 6/19/19 12:29 PM, rstolle wrote:
>>> Same here! I would love to go with wicket 9 ASAP. I'm using 9.0.0-M2
>>> on a new
>>> project and very much appreciate the switch to java.time.Duration,
>>> which saves
>>> me a lot of conversions. Junit5 is also a huge plus in my opinion. So
>>> far I did not
>>> encounter any problems.
>>>
>>> Good moment to THANK THE WICKET TEAM (again) - you doing a wicked job!
>>>
>>> René

Re: estimate time for 9.x release?

Martin Grigorov-4
In that case I vote to release 9.0.0 with the next releases of 7.x and 8.x,
no need to wait until Q3.

On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 11:43 AM Sven Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I haven't had time to work an wicket-ajax-no-jquery.js, and I agree that
> we as well might try that in Wicket 10.
>
> Meanwhile I'm preparing a pull request for another modal-dialog
> proposal, but this doesn't have to delay a Wicket 9 release either.
>
> Have fun
> Sven
>

> On 20.06.19 11:50, Martin Grigorov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The only bigger task I am aware of is the vanilla wicket-ajax.js rewrite
> > that has been suggested by Korbinian Bachl (some time ago) and Andrew
> > Kondratev (more recently). Sven said that he wants to work on it.
> > But in my opinion this task should not stop us to release 9.0.0. The
> > vanilla impl can be introduced in a minor release too, even in 8.x, if
> the
> > APIs are preserved.
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 12:03 AM Andrea Del Bene <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm happy you started to appreciate Wicket 9.x in its earliest versions!
> >> The short answer is no, there is no estimated time for 9.x to become EA.
> >> But at the moment I'm not aware of any huge feature or refactoring being
> >> in progress or even proposed. Let's hear what other developers have to
> >> say about this.
> >> Personally speaking I'm also willing to release Wicket 9.x in a short
> >> time, let's say in the Q4 of this year, after one or two more milestone
> >> releases. I also believe that the time is now ripe to provide a version
> >> of Wicket for the "post Java 8 era", which fully supports the last LTS
> JDK.
> >>
> >> Andrea.

> not
> wicket

Re: estimate time for 9.x release?

Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro-4
+1 non binding. I was going to write asking for a M3 release right now :-)

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 12:02 AM Martin Grigorov <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> In that case I vote to release 9.0.0 with the next releases of 7.x and 8.x,
> no need to wait until Q3.
>
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 11:43 AM Sven Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I haven't had time to work an wicket-ajax-no-jquery.js, and I agree that
> > we as well might try that in Wicket 10.
> >
> > Meanwhile I'm preparing a pull request for another modal-dialog
> > proposal, but this doesn't have to delay a Wicket 9 release either.
> >
> > Have fun
> > Sven
> >

> > On 20.06.19 11:50, Martin Grigorov wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The only bigger task I am aware of is the vanilla wicket-ajax.js
> rewrite
> > > that has been suggested by Korbinian Bachl (some time ago) and Andrew
> > > Kondratev (more recently). Sven said that he wants to work on it.
> > > But in my opinion this task should not stop us to release 9.0.0. The
> > > vanilla impl can be introduced in a minor release too, even in 8.x, if
> > the
> > > APIs are preserved.

> versions!
> EA.
> being
> milestone
> version
> > JDK.

> job!

> > not
> > wicket
> try

Regards - Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro

Re: estimate time for 9.x release?

Maxim Solodovnik
Also +1 :)

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019, 13:01 Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1 non binding. I was going to write asking for a M3 release right now :-)
>
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 12:02 AM Martin Grigorov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > In that case I vote to release 9.0.0 with the next releases of 7.x and
> 8.x,
> > no need to wait until Q3.
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 11:43 AM Sven Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I haven't had time to work an wicket-ajax-no-jquery.js, and I agree
> that
> > > we as well might try that in Wicket 10.
> > >
> > > Meanwhile I'm preparing a pull request for another modal-dialog
> > > proposal, but this doesn't have to delay a Wicket 9 release either.
> > >
> > > Have fun
> > > Sven

> > rewrite
> if
> > > the

> [hidden email]

> > versions!
> > EA.
> > being
> short
> > milestone
> > version
> LTS
> > > JDK.

> 9.0.0-M2
> So

> > job!

> is
> > > not
> > > wicket
> > try

> Regards - Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro

Re: estimate time for 9.x release?

Tobias Soloschenko-4
+1 for next Milestone

kind regards

Tobias

> Am 26.06.2019 um 08:02 schrieb Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]>:
>
> Also +1 :)
>
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019, 13:01 Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> +1 non binding. I was going to write asking for a M3 release right now :-)
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 12:02 AM Martin Grigorov <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In that case I vote to release 9.0.0 with the next releases of 7.x and
>> 8.x,
>>> no need to wait until Q3.

>> that

>>> rewrite
>> if

>> [hidden email]

>>> versions!
>>> EA.
>>> being
>> short
>>> milestone
>>> version
>> LTS

>> 9.0.0-M2
>> So

>>> job!

>> is
>>> try

>> Regards - Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro

Re: estimate time for 9.x release?

Andrea Del Bene-3
Great! I'm happy to see that we agree on release a new main version! I
guess I should get in contact with Sally Khudairi to prepare an
announcement for press. Maybe Martijn could help us with this task. The
last announcement can be found here:

http://mail-archives.us.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201805.mbox/browser

Andrea Del Bene.
Apache Wicket committer.