google-sitebricks

Alex Objelean
It seems that google created a yet-another-web-framework (as it used to be
called). It is called google-sitebricks. Below is a link on infoq.
http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/09/google-sitebricks
What do you think about it?

Regards,
Alex Objelean

Re: google-sitebricks

Eelco Hillenius
I think it's a very nicely designed minimal framework, and I think
it's great that it has a focus on failing as early as possible. I'm
considering using it for a site that is halfway the transition of
going from Struts 2 to mostly Ajax (extjs). That site currently uses
JSPs for templating, which should be pretty minimal since Ajax takes
over after the first render, but unfortunately isn't. Sitebricks would
be a great replacement for those JSPs, especially because we're also
refactoring that site to use Guice for DI (which totally rocks btw).

As for yet-another-framework-vs-framework discussion... I would just
use it for different purposes. Wicket is great for complex projects
that aren't Ajax-mostly, where you want to create many abstractions
and reusable components, etc. I would consider (do consider in fact)
Sitebricks when you go all ajax-y, e.g. together with YUI or ExtJs
directly. It would compete with GWT in that case, since I haven't made
up my mind whether I like that approach (great tooling support, static
typing and being able to have programmers of various levels of
competence working on it), or whether I prefer the approach to use
something like Sitebricks and/ or JAX-RS with a good JS/ Ajax lib
directly (small, elegant, flexible and no magic to fight, but needs
disciplined coders and project standards to avoid ending up in
maintenance hell). In my experience, It'll be hard to beat Wicket's
productivity though. :-)

Eelco

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Objelean Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It seems that google created a yet-another-web-framework (as it used to be
> called). It is called google-sitebricks. Below is a link on infoq.
> http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/09/google-sitebricks
> What do you think about it?
>
> Regards,
> Alex Objelean

Re: google-sitebricks

Eelco Hillenius
> I think it's a very nicely designed minimal framework,

Maybe I shouldn't say minimal, but rather that Dhanji didn't need a
lot of code to create a powerful framework. :-)

Eelco

Re: google-sitebricks

Per Lundholm
It seems to be targetting a different category of webapps: " ... that have a
lot of textual content and some components that are inserted or modified by
Javascript interactively ... ".

That opposed to: " ... web UI design using the abstraction of a desktop UI:
Events, components and widgets interacting with user clicks and actions... "

Being one that writes the latter kind of webapps, I think it is not for me.

There is also an expression language which may be interesting to learn but I
really appreciate that I can write my logic (and test it) in Java.

So from that interview, I can't see how Sitebricks makes any sense to me.

/Per

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 11:20 PM, Objelean Alex <[hidden email]>wrote:

> It seems that google created a yet-another-web-framework (as it used to be
> called). It is called google-sitebricks. Below is a link on infoq.
> http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/09/google-sitebricks
> What do you think about it?
>
> Regards,
> Alex Objelean

Where can I find this Wicket application?

David Chang-2

Hello,

I am reading Wicket-related stuff on the net and came across this Wicket discussion thread:

http://osdir.com/ml/users-wicket.apache.org/2009-05/msg01196.html

In the response, "my wicket-advanced example application" is mentioned.

I would like to know where I can find this application?

Thanks!

Re: Where can I find this Wicket application?

Maarten Bosteels
http://svn.carmanconsulting.com/public/wicket-advanced/

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 6:16 PM, David Chang <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am reading Wicket-related stuff on the net and came across this Wicket
> discussion thread:
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/users-wicket.apache.org/2009-05/msg01196.html
>
> In the response, "my wicket-advanced example application" is mentioned.
>
> I would like to know where I can find this application?
>
> Thanks!

avoid setters / getters by using ?

David Chang-2
Hello,

I have Wicket+Spring application. It has a service object which has a few DAO members. I can use Spring's autowiring to avoid mentioning the DAO dependencies for the service bean. However, in the Java program for the service bean, I still have to add setters and getters for each DAO member, which I don't like. How can I avoid these setters and getters? Using AOP? Any examples?

I understand that this question is not strictly a Wicket, but I definitely want to ask my Wicket friends here.

Thank you!

Re: avoid setters / getters by using ?

Martin Makundi
At least in wicket you can access the fields themselves using propertymodels.

**
Martin

2009/9/27 David Chang <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I have Wicket+Spring application. It has a service object which has a few DAO members. I can use Spring's autowiring to avoid mentioning the DAO dependencies for the service bean. However, in the Java program for the service bean, I still have to add setters and getters for each DAO member, which I don't like. How can I avoid these setters and getters? Using AOP? Any examples?
>
> I understand that this question is not strictly a Wicket, but I definitely want to ask my Wicket friends here.
>
> Thank you!

Re: avoid setters / getters by using ?

David Chang-2

Martin,

Thanks for your input. My intention is how to get rid of these boring setters/getters from service beans that are usually generated only for the purpose of spring-injection.

Cheers!

> > I have Wicket+Spring application. It has a service
> object which has a few DAO members. I can use Spring's
> autowiring to avoid mentioning the DAO dependencies for the
> service bean. However, in the Java program for the service
> bean, I still have to add setters and getters for each DAO
> member, which I don't like. How can I avoid these setters
> and getters? Using AOP? Any examples?
> >
> > I understand that this question is not strictly a
> Wicket, but I definitely want to ask my Wicket friends
> here.
> >
> > Thank you!

Re: avoid setters / getters by using ?

Casper Bang
Use Lombok (http://projectlombok.org/), it allows you to generate
setters and getters through annotations:

@Getter @Setter private String name;

/Casper

David Chang wrote:

> Martin,
>
> Thanks for your input. My intention is how to get rid of these boring setters/getters from service beans that are usually generated only for the purpose of spring-injection.
>
> Cheers!

cab-3
Hi David,

if you use Eclipse, you can get rid of the getters/setters by using
http://projectlombok.org/.

Cheers,
Christian

David Chang schrieb:

> Martin,
>
> Thanks for your input. My intention is how to get rid of these boring setters/getters from service beans that are usually generated only for the purpose of spring-injection.
>
> Cheers!

Well, my solution is:
1. Use abstract static service classes that cannot be instantiated.
2. Won't need spring.

**
Martin

Erik Post-5
Blasphemy!! But since we're suggesting unheard of approaches anyway,
you might consider ditching Java in favour of Scala. (Or Groovy? I
would imagine that could help as well.)

Cheers,
Erik

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Martin Makundi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> My intention is how to get rid of these boring setters/getters from service
>> beans that are usually generated only for the purpose of spring-injection.
>
> Well, my solution is:
> 1. Use abstract static service classes that cannot be instantiated.
> 2. Won't need spring.
>
> **
> Martin

Magnus Haraldsen Amundsen