proposal: internationalization project

Eelco Hillenius
Hi all,

Thanks for the recent inputs of Application_x.properties. However, I
now realize that we need more than just a one time contribution.

I think internationalization is a strong point for Wicket, and we
should keep pushing to make this even stronger. It's cool to see that
people from all over the world use it. And I was hoping to leverage
that fact.

What I propose is this:

We start a seperate project in wicket-stuff
(http://wicket-stuff.sf.net) specifically for internationalization.
This project will have:
  - Standard messages for validators and maybe more (some of the
common error messages?). These messages will be in that project so
that they can be easily maintained by all the committers on that
project, and I/ other core devs of Wicket will put them in the main
wicket project regularly.
  - An example that shows off the languages/ variants we have. Much
like FormInput in wicket-examples now, but maybe more complete and
focussed on internationalisation.

For every language that will be in that project, there should be one
'owner'. The owner gets commit rights on wicket-stuff in case he/she
didn't already have that.

Who is interested in contributing to this project? What I have in mind
is pretty small/ low maintenance; besides the initial contribution of
one or two web pages and one or two properties files, there will only
be a fix now and then. We would use this list or wicket-dev to discuss
any topics that arise when working on it.

If you are interested, please reply to this email (or send me an
offline message if you prefer that). If we have enough people that
want to work on this, I'll take the lead and create that project in
wicket-stuff.

Cheers,

Eelco

Re: proposal: internationalization project

cowwoc

        Wouldn't Wiki be easier?

Gili

Eelco Hillenius wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the recent inputs of Application_x.properties. However, I
> now realize that we need more than just a one time contribution.
>
> I think internationalization is a strong point for Wicket, and we
> should keep pushing to make this even stronger. It's cool to see that
> people from all over the world use it. And I was hoping to leverage
> that fact.
>
> What I propose is this:
>
> We start a seperate project in wicket-stuff
> (http://wicket-stuff.sf.net) specifically for internationalization.
> This project will have:
>   - Standard messages for validators and maybe more (some of the
> common error messages?). These messages will be in that project so
> that they can be easily maintained by all the committers on that
> project, and I/ other core devs of Wicket will put them in the main
> wicket project regularly.
>   - An example that shows off the languages/ variants we have. Much
> like FormInput in wicket-examples now, but maybe more complete and
> focussed on internationalisation.
>
> For every language that will be in that project, there should be one
> 'owner'. The owner gets commit rights on wicket-stuff in case he/she
> didn't already have that.
>
> Who is interested in contributing to this project? What I have in mind
> is pretty small/ low maintenance; besides the initial contribution of
> one or two web pages and one or two properties files, there will only
> be a fix now and then. We would use this list or wicket-dev to discuss
> any topics that arise when working on it.
>
> If you are interested, please reply to this email (or send me an
> offline message if you prefer that). If we have enough people that
> want to work on this, I'll take the lead and create that project in
> wicket-stuff.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Eelco

Re: proposal: internationalization project

Ingram Chen-2
For several *.properties or webPage, I'm ok for zh_TW (Tranditional Chinese at Taiwan)

Beside Application_x.properties and wicket-examples, Is it possible including i18n for DataPicker ? I know this is not wicket's business. but it seems that jscalendar project has no activity now....

On 4/21/06, Eelco Hillenius <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Java Developer@BioIT
Institue of BioMedical Sciences Academia Sinica Taiwan
blog: http://www.javaworld.com.tw/roller/page/ingramchen

Re: proposal: internationalization project

Johannes Fahrenkrug
That is a great idea, Eelco.
I'd like to help with de_DE (German).

- Johannes

Re: proposal: internationalization project

lu dongping
zh_CN

On 4/21/06, Johannes Fahrenkrug <[hidden email]> wrote:
That is a great idea, Eelco.
I'd like to help with de_DE (German).

- Johannes

Re: proposal: internationalization project

Iman Rahmatizadeh
I'm ready for Persian/Farsi (fa_IR).
Just asking, would it be a good idea to let wicket automatically set the
page direction (ltr or rtl) based on the locale ?

Iman

Re: proposal: internationalization project

FlemmingB
I can contribute to the danish translations, no problemo.

/Flemming

On 4/23/06, Iman Rahmatizadeh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm ready for Persian/Farsi (fa_IR).
> Just asking, would it be a good idea to let wicket automatically set the
> page direction (ltr or rtl) based on the locale ?

I have no experience with that, so I wouldn't know. Which is exactly
why we should startup such a project :)

Eelco

> Iman

Re: proposal: internationalization project

Bruno Borges
Just tell me the directions and let me do pt_BR. :)

Sun Certified Java Programmer for 1.4
Sun Certified Web Component Developer for 1.4

Re: proposal: internationalization project

Eelco Hillenius
Thanks for your reactions concerning starting up an
internationalization project guys. If I ever have a spare moment in
the next few weeks, I'll try to start it up. Might take a while
though, so I hope you're not in a hurry :)

Eelco