[vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

12

[vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

All,

It's been hard work, but I have managed to *finally* create a release
candidate of Wicket 6.1.0. The release has been created by a script,
but I doubt it is reusable by anyone not running the same
configuration as myself (Mac OS X Mountain Lion, homebrew
installations of gpg, gpg-agent, etc)

Please download the source distributions found on my people.apache.org
distribution area linked below.

I have included the signatures for both the source archives. This vote
lasts for 72 hours minimum.

[ ] Yes, release Apache Wicket 6.1.0
[ ] No, don't release Apache Wicket 6.1.0, because ...

Distributions, changelog, keys and signatures can be found at:

    http://people.apache.org/~dashorst/wicket-6.1.0

Signature for apache-wicket-6.1.0.tar.gz:

Signature for apache-wicket-6.1.0.zip:

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

Christoph Leiter
On 26.09.2012 15:26, Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> [X] No, don't release Apache Wicket 6.1.0, because ...

the way URLs are encoded was changed (WICKET-4645) and now the first
request (with ;jsessionid in path) generates invalid internal links:
My page is mounted to "/Home/" and I get redirected to
"/Home/;jsessionid=1234?0" (fine). There's a Link  on the page and the
generated URL for it is
"../Home;jsessionid=1234?0-1.ILinkListener-link". Note the missing "/".
This results in a 404 and breaks basically all of my system tests.

I can provide a quickstart if needed.

Christoph

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

Martin Grigorov-4
Hi Christoph,

Please create a new ticket with a quickstart.
Thanks!

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Christoph Leiter
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26.09.2012 15:26, Martijn Dashorst wrote:
>>
>> [X] No, don't release Apache Wicket 6.1.0, because ...
>

> the way URLs are encoded was changed (WICKET-4645) and now the first request
> (with ;jsessionid in path) generates invalid internal links:
> My page is mounted to "/Home/" and I get redirected to
> "/Home/;jsessionid=1234?0" (fine). There's a Link  on the page and the
> generated URL for it is "../Home;jsessionid=1234?0-1.ILinkListener-link".
> Note the missing "/". This results in a 404 and breaks basically all of my
> system tests.
>
> I can provide a quickstart if needed.
>

> Christoph

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

Christoph Leiter
> Please create a new ticket with a quickstart.

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

Papegaaij
+1 to release
I've ran our selenium tests against 6.2.0-SNAPSHOT, which contains the same
code as 6.1.0 and all tests pass. I've checked the release, and the files look
ok and it builds fine.

About WICKET-4789, it's a regression against 6.1.0, so I guess it should be
fixed, but I see no reason to delay 6.1.0 for this issue as the usecase really
is a cornercase. We can always do a 6.1.1 release next week with a fix for
this issue, perhaps with one or two other issues that might surface.

Best regards,
Emond

On Wednesday 26 September 2012 15:26:04 Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> All,
>
> It's been hard work, but I have managed to *finally* create a release
> candidate of Wicket 6.1.0. The release has been created by a script,
> but I doubt it is reusable by anyone not running the same
> configuration as myself (Mac OS X Mountain Lion, homebrew
> installations of gpg, gpg-agent, etc)
>
> Please download the source distributions found on my people.apache.org
> distribution area linked below.
>
> I have included the signatures for both the source archives. This vote
> lasts for 72 hours minimum.
>
> [ ] Yes, release Apache Wicket 6.1.0
> [ ] No, don't release Apache Wicket 6.1.0, because ...
>
> Distributions, changelog, keys and signatures can be found at:
>
>     http://people.apache.org/~dashorst/wicket-6.1.0
>
> Signature for apache-wicket-6.1.0.tar.gz:

> Signature for apache-wicket-6.1.0.zip:

> Martijn

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

Wolfgang Kritzinger
[X] No, don't release Apache Wicket 6.1.0, because ...

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-4759 it's not a show-stopper
but it's annoying if I have to subclass FilterForm to fix this issue. I've
added a comment with a link to a Stackoverflow thread that discusses the
issue of HTML forms without submit buttons.

If there's a need to discuss this further I believe it can wait for a later
wicket version and I vote yes, release Apache Wicket 6.1.0 now.
Wolfgang Kritzinger

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

+1. I've built from the release sources, checked the binary
compatibilty and didn't find any issues.

The discovered bugs/regressions are unfortunate, but in 3 weeks is a
new release scheduled which gives us enough time to fix it. There's no
need to delay this one.

Martijn

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Martijn Dashorst
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> It's been hard work, but I have managed to *finally* create a release
> candidate of Wicket 6.1.0. The release has been created by a script,
> but I doubt it is reusable by anyone not running the same
> configuration as myself (Mac OS X Mountain Lion, homebrew
> installations of gpg, gpg-agent, etc)
>
> Please download the source distributions found on my people.apache.org
> distribution area linked below.
>
> I have included the signatures for both the source archives. This vote
> lasts for 72 hours minimum.
>
> [ ] Yes, release Apache Wicket 6.1.0
> [ ] No, don't release Apache Wicket 6.1.0, because ...
>
> Distributions, changelog, keys and signatures can be found at:
>
>     http://people.apache.org/~dashorst/wicket-6.1.0
>
> Signature for apache-wicket-6.1.0.tar.gz:

> Signature for apache-wicket-6.1.0.zip:

> Martijn

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

Sebastien
[x] Yes, release Apache Wicket 6.1.0 (non-binding)

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Martijn Dashorst <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> +1. I've built from the release sources, checked the binary
> compatibilty and didn't find any issues.
>
> The discovered bugs/regressions are unfortunate, but in 3 weeks is a
> new release scheduled which gives us enough time to fix it. There's no
> need to delay this one.
>
> Martijn
>
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Martijn Dashorst
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > It's been hard work, but I have managed to *finally* create a release
> > candidate of Wicket 6.1.0. The release has been created by a script,
> > but I doubt it is reusable by anyone not running the same
> > configuration as myself (Mac OS X Mountain Lion, homebrew
> > installations of gpg, gpg-agent, etc)
> >
> > Please download the source distributions found on my people.apache.org
> > distribution area linked below.
> >
> > I have included the signatures for both the source archives. This vote
> > lasts for 72 hours minimum.
> >
> > [ ] Yes, release Apache Wicket 6.1.0
> > [ ] No, don't release Apache Wicket 6.1.0, because ...
> >
> > Distributions, changelog, keys and signatures can be found at:
> >
> >     http://people.apache.org/~dashorst/wicket-6.1.0
> >
> > Signature for apache-wicket-6.1.0.tar.gz:

> > Signature for apache-wicket-6.1.0.zip:

> > Martijn

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

Sven Meier
+1 built from source archive and checked some examples

Sven

On 10/01/2012 09:41 AM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> +1. I've built from the release sources, checked the binary
> compatibilty and didn't find any issues.
>
> The discovered bugs/regressions are unfortunate, but in 3 weeks is a
> new release scheduled which gives us enough time to fix it. There's no
> need to delay this one.
>
> Martijn
>
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Martijn Dashorst
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> It's been hard work, but I have managed to *finally* create a release
>> candidate of Wicket 6.1.0. The release has been created by a script,
>> but I doubt it is reusable by anyone not running the same
>> configuration as myself (Mac OS X Mountain Lion, homebrew
>> installations of gpg, gpg-agent, etc)
>>
>> Please download the source distributions found on my people.apache.org
>> distribution area linked below.
>>
>> I have included the signatures for both the source archives. This vote
>> lasts for 72 hours minimum.
>>
>> [ ] Yes, release Apache Wicket 6.1.0
>> [ ] No, don't release Apache Wicket 6.1.0, because ...
>>
>> Distributions, changelog, keys and signatures can be found at:
>>
>>      http://people.apache.org/~dashorst/wicket-6.1.0
>>
>> Signature for apache-wicket-6.1.0.tar.gz:

>> Signature for apache-wicket-6.1.0.zip:

>> Martijn

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

Martin Grigorov-4
-0

Did someone tried to debug https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-4789 ?
It is related to url-encoded jsessionid so it may not be a corner
case. Maybe you didn't have problems with it because your app use the
cookie based approach.

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Martin Grigorov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> -0
>
> Did someone tried to debug https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-4789 ?
> It is related to url-encoded jsessionid so it may not be a corner
> case. Maybe you didn't have problems with it because your app use the
> cookie based approach.

But is it severe enough to hold back this release? If this bug hits
you (and cookie-less operation is important) don't upgrade to 6.1, but
wait for 6.2?

I agree that it would be best to not release with this issue, but
there will always be issues, and if we wait for the perfect release,
we'll never get anything out of the door.

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

Martin Grigorov-4
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Martijn Dashorst
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Martin Grigorov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> -0
>>
>> Did someone tried to debug https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-4789 ?
>> It is related to url-encoded jsessionid so it may not be a corner
>> case. Maybe you didn't have problems with it because your app use the
>> cookie based approach.
>
> But is it severe enough to hold back this release? If this bug hits
> you (and cookie-less operation is important) don't upgrade to 6.1, but
> wait for 6.2?
>
> I agree that it would be best to not release with this issue, but
> there will always be issues, and if we wait for the perfect release,
> we'll never get anything out of the door.

Sure. This is true.
But then there is no point to test our apps for the voting. Just check
that the voted sources can be build. Easy!

I'm still -0 because this is a regression.
We have stopped releases before when there were similar regressions
found by us or by our users. By just ignoring such reports during the
vote we discourage our users to give us feedback for the next release
votes.

The problem with FilterForm is not a new one, so I agree it can wait.

0 vote doesn't stop the release, right ? I don't want to veto the
release because I wont be able to fix this soon.

On 01.10.2012 15:02, Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> But is it severe enough to hold back this release? If this bug hits
> you (and cookie-less operation is important) don't upgrade to 6.1, but
> wait for 6.2?

It's not limited to Wicket applications which don't use cookies. This
always happens for the very first request when the container can't know
whether the browser supports cookies or not (unless, of course, the
container is configured not to do it).

Christoph

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Martin Grigorov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I agree that it would be best to not release with this issue, but
>> there will always be issues, and if we wait for the perfect release,
>> we'll never get anything out of the door.
>
> Sure. This is true.
> But then there is no point to test our apps for the voting. Just check
> that the voted sources can be build. Easy!

We have tested our application with 6.1 and didn't uncover anything.
We run stock tomcats and jettys, so I don't think it is a major issue,
at least not a critical one (though the issue is reported as
critical).

> We have stopped releases before when there were similar regressions
> found by us or by our users. By just ignoring such reports during the
> vote we discourage our users to give us feedback for the next release
> votes.

We are not ignoring it, but assessing whether it warrants delaying the
other 20 issues that were solved.

> 0 vote doesn't stop the release, right ? I don't want to veto the
> release because I wont be able to fix this soon.

It doesn't hold the vote, but I do want to make sure this isn't as
critical as the reporter states. That our application doesn't suffer
from this issue doesn't mean it isn't serious.

I am unfortunately not in the position to debug it: my allotted time
for wicket was spent building the release.

What about the following:

Unless anyone confirms that
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-4789 is critical in 24hrs
we release 6.1. If/when a fix surfaces in the next 2 weeks, I create
6.1.1, we release that.

wrote:

> > 0 vote doesn't stop the release, right ? I don't want to veto the
> > release because I wont be able to fix this soon.
>
> It doesn't hold the vote, but I do want to make sure this isn't as
> critical as the reporter states. That our application doesn't suffer
> from this issue doesn't mean it isn't serious.
>
> I am unfortunately not in the position to debug it: my allotted time
> for wicket was spent building the release.
>
> What about the following:
>
> Unless anyone confirms that
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-4789 is critical in 24hrs
> we release 6.1. If/when a fix surfaces in the next 2 weeks, I create
> 6.1.1, we release that.

This sounds like a very good idea. From what I can see in the ticket, it is
most likely related to mounting pages on urls ending with /, perhaps in
combination with jsessionid, but the / part is essential. IMHO, this is not
critical.

Best regards,
Emond

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

Bruno Borges
Is wicket-cdi coming up on this release?

I'm just curious... Anyway, I'm always up to new releases --> [X] Yes,
release

*Bruno Borges*
(11) 99564-9058
*www.brunoborges.com*

On Tuesday 02 October 2012 14:35:33 Bruno Borges wrote:
> Is wicket-cdi coming up on this release?

Yes.

Best regards,
Emond

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

Martin Grigorov-4
Hi Christoph,

Sven fixed the problem in master branch. Can you test it, please ?

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Emond Papegaaij
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 October 2012 14:35:33 Bruno Borges wrote:
>> Is wicket-cdi coming up on this release?
>
> Yes.
>
> Best regards,
> Emond

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

Christoph Leiter
Hi,

I can confirm that this solves the issue. Thanks, Sven.

Christoph

On 03.10.2012 09:19, Martin Grigorov wrote:

> Hi Christoph,
>
> Sven fixed the problem in master branch. Can you test it, please ?
>
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Emond Papegaaij
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 02 October 2012 14:35:33 Bruno Borges wrote:
>>> Is wicket-cdi coming up on this release?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Emond

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 6.1.0

I'll build a 6.1.1 on friday which will incorporate this issue (and
possibly others as well). For now we'll release 6.1.0 providing other
solved issues to our users now. This should make the 6.1.1 release
available on tues next week.

This vote concludes successfully with an overwhelming 3 +1 binding
votes, and one -0 binding vote and 2 -1 non-binding votes.

Martijn

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Christoph Leiter

> I can confirm that this solves the issue. Thanks, Sven.
>

> Christoph
>

> On 03.10.2012 09:19, Martin Grigorov wrote:
>>
>> Hi Christoph,
>>
>> Sven fixed the problem in master branch. Can you test it, please ?
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Emond Papegaaij
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Emond