wicket portlet and liferay 6.1

Gabriel Landon
This post was updated on .
For those who are having troubles making wicket-portlet works with liferay 6.1, here's the solution...

I've many wicket 1.4 application that are just working fine in liferay 6.0. But when I put them in liferay 6.1, I get the following message :
20:49:12,379 ERROR [BasePortalLifecycle:45] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Error initializing WicketFilter - you have no <filter-mapping> element with a url-pattern that uses filter: TestApplication
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Error initializing WicketFilter - you have no <filter-mapping> element with a url-pattern that uses filter: TestApplication

This is because liferay 6.1 remove the <filter> and <filter-mapping> from the web.xml.
To prevent this behaviour, you have to add the following properties in your liferay-plugin-package.properties :
liferay-web-xml-enabled=false

By the way if you're using wicket 1.5, you will have the following error instead :
20:48:09,343 WARN  [WebXmlFile:265] web.xml: No url-pattern found for 'filter' with name 'wicket.test'
20:48:09,343 INFO  [WebXmlFile:113] web.xml: url mapping found for filter with name wicket.test:
20:48:09,343 WARN  [WicketFilter:247] Unable to determine filter path from filter init-parm, web.xml, or servlet 3.0 annotations. Assuming user will set filter path manually by calling setFilterPath(String)

Good luck to all liferay users!

Re: wicket portlet 1.5 and liferay 6.1

Thijs Vonk-2
Hi Gabriel.

Thanks for the heads up!
At my work we're using portlets and are currently locked down at liferay
5.2 and wicket 1.4. But a migration to newer versions is on the Roadmap.
So this is useful information.

Thijs